Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning gaskets and grommets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Many 914 owners may never need to deep clean the gaskets and grommets on their car. But, for those who will be cleaning these parts, here is a method that has worked very well for me.

I have used a cleaning product called S.S. Nathans Universal Solution with great success. I buy this cleaner from a guy that I work with. He sells the S.S. Nathan products at car shows around Indiana. The universal solution is a concentrated solution and can be diluted to be suitable for the type of cleaning being done.

Steps that i have followed:
-Give the parts a quick cleaning. pretty much quickly knock off any easily removed paint overspray, adhesive, rust proofing material, road grime, etc.

-Soak the parts overnight in a solution of about 1/3 Universal Solution and 2/3 water

-remove the parts from the cleaner and wipe off the easy to remove paint, glue, grime, etc. The cleaner helps to "lift" the paint and grime off of the parts.

-soak the parts overnight again. remove the parts and spend the required time to clean to your level of satisfaction. I have spent more time than I care to admit scraping off overspray and adhesive mostly using my thumbnail and a small flat screwdriver. But I was able to get the parts to clean up to excellent condition.

It takes some time and effort but I was amazed at how well the parts cleaned up.

Here's a few pics

The gasket on the right was in nearly the same condition as the one on the left before the cleaning

Doug Leggins
various grommets

Some of these were covered in layers of gunk and grime.
Doug Leggins
Here is the cleaner that I used.

Other cleaners may work as well. Just thought that I'd share this one since it worked so well for me.
double-a
you are truly, completely out of control with this cleaning and restoration stuff.

i love it! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Gint
you are truly, completely out of control with this cleaning and restoration stuff.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Rusty
Very, very nice. smile.gif

Does the product soften age/heat hardened rubber items?
Doug Leggins
Does the product soften age/heat hardened rubber items?

I don't know if the cleaner does any softening. It does remove the black powder like oxidation from the surface. Once the parts are clean I coat them with either glycerin or another of the S.S. Nathans products called "Wipe n Walk". The glycerin or wipe n walk "seem to me" to restore some of the flexibility.
Eric_Shea
I used "Goof-Off". I then conditioned the rubber with Wurth rubber conditioner.

Those look nice Doug. Are you paying attention Gint? biggrin.gif
dmenche914
some rubber parts can be made useful again after aging with a coating of black silicone RTV, but they must be cleaned before coating.

Nice job, you doing a complete repaint?
2-OH!
I found that soaking all seals, grommets, etc...for a couple of days in Maguires #42 restores most elasticity, causes them to swell back to original shape and removes most (99%) of grit or grime...Remove gunk and heavy grease or oil with a rag wipe of mineral spirits before soaking...

Pull out of Maguires solution wipe dry and hang em' up for a day or two and re-soak if required...Makes em' look and feel new...

Obviously it won't replace missing material but it brings back the elastomeric qualities unless they are hardened beyond salvation...For instance, it worked very well on the 75 restoration but the 73 rustoration, all seals are fried...

Paint or overspray must still be scraped off with a very careful Exacto knife...

If they are hard beyond this salvage process, then the option is to replace...

2-OH!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.