Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Chris H.
Saw this over on Pelican....these guys seem to be very committed to RELIABLE swaps... love the passion! The Focus engine is only 130 HP stock but pretty cool. Which way does the Zetec spin?

Bostig

Just thought there are a lot of Vanagon fans here who might like to see this.

If you have never done a swap you might think the complete kit less engine, ECU and power steering pump is expensive @ $6k to which I say av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif .
914forme
They have a rebate of $1000, if you met their list of demands.
KELTY360
Mixed results in the Vanagon world. I know two guys who did the Bostig swap and then switched to Subaru /4s. I know others who love them. The guys who switched weren't impressed with the torque of the Focus. I think those who are happy with their Bostigs are just glad to be done with the waterboxer.
Chris H.
Could you (low pressure) turbo it...? idea.gif
Mark Henry
Yep I'd say the subi swap is still the most popular because it is still a boxer.
The VW 1.8T is likely 2nd place.

I have a buddy who does VW diesel swaps, he's done several syncros, but IMHO they are way too expensive for what you get.
But if you plan on doing 3rd world countries diesel is a good plan. He travels to central america most winters.

Most inline 4's sit too high, so many don't work well. For example the 1.8T you have to mod the pump P/U and lay it more on an angle.
Tom_T
EDIT:

Ha! So I found my Hannover VW Oldtimer Museum pix for the Vanagon foglights pix below, & here is the Porsche B32 from there.

So Chris - you're now officially WITH PC in this thread! biggrin.gif

1985-87 (IIRC) PORSCHE B32 6 PASSENGER VAN ---v
Click to view attachment

Porsche apparently built 2 as "specials" to be support vehicles for the early `80's 959s offroad racing in Africa, etc., then in 1985 decided to try to build & sell a few to top end customers - most were this 6 passenger tin-top, with 1 of the 15+/- as a "California Joker" Westy Camper Van (in White). There's a lot of good info online about them.

Thanx for posting this! And here FYI & so you can change the NPC to SPC .... biggrin.gif

Porsche B32 - the ultimate swap happy11.gif
- full Carrera 3.2L 6 + all suspension, brakes, Fuchs wheels, etc. done by the Porsche factory on 15-20 +/- Vanagons - including at least one camper - & sold by Porsche for about $70,000 DM in the early to mid 1980s!

Google for it, an interesting story & one B32 tin top resides in the Hanover VW Classic Oldtimer Works shop/museum.

If doing a semi-clone/tribute one today, I'd do it with the 986/996 or 987/997 -6 & more modern running gear. That would be my "if I win the Lotto" project for our 88 Westy! idea.gif

Otherwise, from our perspective of being a few years away from retirement & then on a fixed income BS - the 48 month/48,000 mi warranty on a GoWesty 2.5L big bore/stroked flat 4 waterboxer would be our choice - just to have everything covered after popping down the cash for an engine swap if/when it's needed (the other swaps are only 6-12 month & 6-12k mi - if anything) - & after our spending lotsa $$$'s on the rolling resto 2012-14!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Coupla Westy as 98% completed rolling resto pix....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Jon H.
The Bostig set-up is a very complete kit but it is expensive as was mentioned! I did my vanagon/SVX swap for approx. $2500 and that included the engine, ecu and wiring harness.

Jon H.
Chris H.
AWESOME Westy Tom. Love the look of those late Vanagons. Gotta have one.

Yeah for the more skilled you can certainly do it cheaper, but if not go for a complete kit. I have a huge box of stuff that looked like it would work for my conversion but did not. Probably several hundred $ worth.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 18 2015, 10:49 AM) *

AWESOME Westy Tom. Love the look of those late Vanagons. Gotta have one.

Yeah for the more skilled you can certainly do it cheaper, but if not go for a complete kit. I have a huge box of stuff that looked like it would work for my conversion but did not. Probably several hundred $ worth.

Thanx Chris!

Yes on the kit or engine if you do it yourself, but in my case the GoWesty would be done by my long term 914/Westy/BMW mechanic (40 years later this year!), cuz he knows the car, & I get hammered with time required for my business & other BS.

The engine was replaced with a stock 2.1L rebuilt for thrown rod in the original at about 130k mi in `99 & top end done in 2006 for the typical reasons, so we're probably due soon now at 213k mi & almost 10 years later.

At least I'm right side up value wise, since these in this sort of like-new condition are valuing out now at $35-50+k & $50-100k +/- on the full GoWesty 2.4/2.5L engines or good Suby conversions.

I was surprised that it's post resto value would be more than the post-resto value on my 73 914-2.0 whenever it's done (at current values anyway). So that eased the pain of having to further postpone the 914 work to get the Westy done.

Click to view attachment

BTW - those are the Euro style fog light option as seen in that Hanover VW Oldtimer museum/shop pic below - but I used smaller & more powerful "modern" Hella MicroFF foglights (also available as driving lites) with the factory dash switch & an SS repop of the factory brackets from VW Bus Shop/Peter Gunzl in Germany.

BUS PARTS TIP:

Also as a Heads up for you Westy & other Vanagons & Buses out there - go to VW Bus Shop/Peter Gunzl in Germany FIRST for your parts - before you go to GoWesty, Bus Depot, Van Cafe, etc. - unless you need it right away & then only if it's in stock at those USA places.

http://www.vwbusshop.de/

They also carry Bus, & T1, T2, T4 7 T5 Van parts too - in addition to the T3 (T25 UK) Vanagon parts.

That's because GoWesty, Bus Depot, Van Cafe & most of the others are buying their stuff from them anyway & marking it up + making you wait for them to accumulate a shipping container of orders to ship to them, then to you. Gunzl will ship direct & it usually takes about 2-4 weeks (but still less than the US guys - unless they have the item in stock).

I didn't find out this until after spending a load for parts, & as 1 example I paid double for the window seals from Bus Depot when Gunzl still sold the kit (we wanted to keep the ones with the grooves for the plasti-chrome locking strips) ....

... PLUS - we had the dang Westy just sitting & waiting all painted for 8-9 months waiting for Bus Depot to get some of the seals etc. in a container - when the a-holes told me they had it all in stock & ready to ship!!!!

I would've waited to put the van in until I had parts in hand, if they'd just told me the truth! dry.gif

I have a ton of other parts sources after all this tracking stuff down, so just shoot me an email or PM with what you need & I can suggest the source(s). I may be slow on answers now though, due to dealing with an elderly aunt back east in hospital, with me & the sibs as her only family for medical stuff etc., so be patient.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
I WAAAAAANT THAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT

Click to view attachment

Thanks for all the Vanagon info Tom. Getting a serious itch for one (Unlikely a B32 but maybe a Subie clone biggrin.gif ). I did see that the value for NICE Vanagons are way up there now just like the rest of the busses. Cool thing is you can USE them. Sorta like a 914.

Best wishes to your Aunt beerchug.gif

EDIT: BTW We'll need Andy to help us order stuff from that site biggrin.gif .
rgalla9146
We are real gluttons for punishment. We're interested in not one but two cars that need way too much to be the way we want.
Does anyone here know if a Boxster engine can be adapted to a 915 trans ?
Here's why I ask.
I'm not a fan of multi-national engine swaps.
Subagon, Fordagon not for me. No diesels either.
My only gripe with the orig. 2.1l is that it's too wound up on the highway.
Boxster engines are plentiful, and yes, I know about IMS probability. And I understand that the intake is a too tall, but maybe that can be remedied.
A water-cooled German boxer six in place of a water-cooled boxer four ? That's the ticket.
Any insight is appreciated.
Pictures of my '89 attached.

Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 18 2015, 01:20 PM) *

We are real gluttons for punishment. We're interested in not one but two cars that need way too much to be the way we want.
Does anyone here know if a Boxster engine can be adapted to a 915 trans ?
Here's why I ask.
I'm not a fan of multi-national engine swaps.
Subagon, Fordagon not for me. No diesels either.
My only gripe with the orig. 2.1l is that it's too wound up on the highway.
Boxster engines are plentiful, and yes, I know about IMS probability. And I understand that the intake is a too tall, but maybe that can be remedied.
A water-cooled German boxer six in place of a water-cooled boxer four ? That's the ticket.
Any insight is appreciated.
Pictures of my '89 attached.

I agree on the all German approach. IIRC the B32 used the 915 transmission + 3.2L 911 Carrera motor & all running gear, & they raised the rear deck about 3-4" - if you google for B32 pix online.

I said I'd opt for the waterboxer newer Boxter/Cayman/911 flavor 6's to keep it still all watercooled on the later Westies ..... IF I win the Lotto big!!

And get that dang snow off the Westy - the weight & ar resistance will just slow it down more! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 18 2015, 12:29 PM) *

I WAAAAAANT THAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT

Click to view attachment

Thanks for all the Vanagon info Tom. Getting a serious itch for one (Unlikely a B32 but maybe a Subie clone biggrin.gif ). I did see that the value for NICE Vanagons are way up there now just like the rest of the busses. Cool thing is you can USE them. Sorta like a 914.

Best wishes to your Aunt beerchug.gif

EDIT: BTW We'll need Andy to help us order stuff from that site biggrin.gif .

Nope - just click on the Brit flag at the top right & it switches to English like this ....
http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClass...nzlClassicParts

Thanx for the well wishes for my aunt, she's turned for the better today.

Here are some B32's that are more affordable..... biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T3a-Porsche-B32-...=item27f8ef3f41

Click to view attachment

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-T3b-B32-Porsche-...=item2a4b09c3ef

Click to view attachment

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-43-Premium-Classi...=item58b91521cc

Click to view attachment

Of course, they're a bit smaller than the "real" ones! laugh.gif
Tom_T
And BTW Chris - you can safely change your topic title to SPC "Some Porsche Content" now! smile.gif

The VW Bus Shop/Gunzl link I posted above in my last post above goes directly to the English version.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mueller
3.6 996 motor in a Vanagon

I thought I saw another video years ago with an aircooled 3.6 in a Vanagon, it was blasting up some windy road and getting the rear end out a few feet here and there?
Chris H.
Fixed the title Tom! That parts site is a lot easier to read now! I'm liking the B32 Wasserboxer clone idea. Synchro might be cool too (or maybe not, you guys tell me).

This video is pretty popular Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCO4I4Am8x4

SVX engine...very tempting as well. Kelty360 has a very nice one... The in-car vid at the end is the best part. That guy is HAULING ASS in that Vanagon!
Tom_T
There are some good B32 engine bay videos on UTube too - cool to hear.

Apparently the 1980's Synchro was ahead of it's time & very good & reliable, but my wife wanted an automatic since the Westy was her DD & the Synchro Westy's were stick only (she's afraid to drive it to work & park in the hospital parking structure now that it's all purdy again).

If it were a modern Porsche waterboxer 6, then I'd say lean toward the 911 Carrera 4S setup for the AWD. Probably the way to go is to find a "donor" wrecked 996/997 4s for that, or any 986/987/996/997 - & all with the IMS fix done.

I think that the first chase car Vanagons used for the 959 Dakkar Races etc. may have been either Synchros or Porsche AWD, but it's been awhile since I read the articles about them & how they led to the B32.

Another Vano-6 to look at was the Oettenger -6 aftermarket conversion of the 1980's, which was the result of a joint VW-Porsche-Oettenger study on how VW could make the Vans more competitive with the V6 Dodge/Chryslers etc. of the time - & Porsche said put a H6 in it, & Oettenger/VW essentially a 2 cyl. add on to the 1.9L & then 2.1L VW waterboxer. There is also UTube & other info online for the Oettenger conversions, which oddly enough were about 70,000 DM on top of the Van too - so the B32 sounds like a bargain!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=115681

I think the Subie H6 is the most cost effective conversion for more power & TQ, as compared to finding either a newer Porsche H6 or older Oettenger kit.

I don't know if the Subie AWD will stand up to the additional weight of the Vanagon/Westy, but would hope so - & the VW Synchro should too AFAIK.

Mark Henry &/or some others may know better on that detail & reliability question.

I say, why not spread out the traction & handling to 4WD or AWD to make the "brick on wheels" handle better on wet, snow, ice & dry pavement! confused24.gif
Maltese Falcon
We put about 25 of these Carrera powered Vanagons into service with our MSDS conversion kits, from 1990-2000.
This is my '86 awd Syncro, complete with dual zone AC, heat, power steering and diff-lock.
Marty
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914forme
Marty,

You still have the Dual Cab Syncro around, that was my favorite conversion of yours. I need to get a Dual cab, replace my Chevy pickup. I would post likely do a SVX, as I have a few of them around right now. AWD is the Easy part.
OU8AVW
Looking into a 2.5 Suby conversion now. Thanks for all the info!

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 18 2015, 10:37 PM) *

We put about 25 of these Carrera powered Vanagons into service with our MSDS conversion kits, from 1990-2000.
This is my '86 awd Syncro, complete with dual zone AC, heat, power steering and diff-lock.
Marty

Marty - so my wife's next question would be: "So would my cute little van be able to tow my cute little trailer with that motor?"

FYI - Her "cute little trailer" is a restored vintage 1960 Avion T20 (similar to Airstream) which weighs about 3000-3500# wet & loaded - maybe 4000# max., but I need to weigh it next trip (dry/empty excl. options factory is 2680#) & it's 21'-6" including the Hensley Cub WD/Anti-sway hitch, with electric drum brakes & I just weighed it with 535# hitch/tongue wt.

We're currently looking at 2006-10 Cayenne S with the V8's for a tow vehicle/3rd car - which looks like will run $18k - $30k, but a well done professional conversion to a "modern" waterboxer Porsche 6 AWD could be very interesting! idea.gif

Is anyone doing them now?

Tom
///////
Mark Henry
If you want to keep it "VW" and cheap-ish the 1.8/2.0T engine is the way to go.
The ABA engine can be made into a bolt in (well almost) using a bunch of Vanagon diesel kit.

This Google group has all the know how needed
https://sites.google.com/site/t2t3vaggasengineswaps/home
Tom_T
Thanx Mark,

But to keep it all OG - either VW or Porsche or otherwise - I'd do either a GoWesty 2.5L with their 48/48 warranty to keep it VW bored/stroked OE WBX4, or the "if I win the big Lotto" pipe dream go the Porsche WBX-6 B32/36 clone or Oettenger WBX6 conversion as the fun.

I doubt that either the Porsche & Oettenger WBX6 routs can be done for what I can get a good use V8 Cayenne S for, since it also involves upgrading the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. as well - which I'd guess would run more than the $18-30k that we'd spend on a good used `06-10 Cayenne S! dry.gif

So the $5-8k GoWesty 2.5L + incidentals for cooling updates/etc. is our lower cost route - whenever the current 2.1L WBX4 needs done next.

We put less than 3k per year on it in the past 3 years, & maybe <20k miles since the top end was done in `05 or `06 - so it may last a while!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
Love it Marty! What trans did you use in those conversions? The motor is a 3.2?
Mueller
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2015, 12:56 PM) *

Thanx Mark,

But to keep it all OG - either VW or Porsche or otherwise - I'd do either a GoWesty 2.5L with their 48/48 warranty to keep it VW bored/stroked OE WBX4, or the "if I win the big Lotto" pipe dream go the Porsche WBX-6 B32/36 clone or Oettenger WBX6 conversion as the fun.

I doubt that either the Porsche & Oettenger WBX6 routs can be done for what I can get a good use V8 Cayenne S for, since it also involves upgrading the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. as well - which I'd guess would run more than the $18-30k that we'd spend on a good used `06-10 Cayenne S! dry.gif

So the $5-8k GoWesty 2.5L + incidentals for cooling updates/etc. is our lower cost route - whenever the current 2.1L WBX4 needs done next.

We put less than 3k per year on it in the past 3 years, & maybe <20k miles since the top end was done in `05 or `06 - so it may last a while!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I had to google that!

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/lvcc/lvcc_...fifth_wheel.pdf

pretty neat! How rare and expensive are those motors?

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 19 2015, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2015, 12:56 PM) *

Thanx Mark,

But to keep it all OG - either VW or Porsche or otherwise - I'd do either a GoWesty 2.5L with their 48/48 warranty to keep it VW bored/stroked OE WBX4, or the "if I win the big Lotto" pipe dream go the Porsche WBX-6 B32/36 clone or Oettinger WBX6 conversion as the fun.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I had to google that!

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/lvcc/lvcc_...fifth_wheel.pdf

pretty neat! How rare and expensive are those motors?

They built kits based on VW engines, I've only ever seen one a VR6 kit.
Not cheap.

http://www.oettinger.com/
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 19 2015, 10:01 AM) *

Marty,

You still have the Dual Cab Syncro around, that was my favorite conversion of yours. I need to get a Dual cab, replace my Chevy pickup. I would post likely do a SVX, as I have a few of them around right now. AWD is the Easy part.

Stephen,
I actually had such a good offer on the Dual cab syncro, I sold it. Then took a 2wd Dual cab and converted it to LT1 chev power, with a g50 5 speed.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Marty
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2015, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 18 2015, 10:37 PM) *

Marty

Marty - so my wife's next question would be: "So would my cute little van be able to tow my cute little trailer with that motor?"

FYI - Her "cute little trailer" is a restored vintage 1960 Avion T20 (similar to Airstream) which weighs about 3000-3500# wet & loaded - maybe 4000# max., but I need to weigh it next trip (dry/empty excl. options factory is 2680#) & it's 21'-6" including the Hensley Cub WD/Anti-sway hitch, with electric drum brakes & I just weighed it with 535# hitch/tongue wt.

We're currently looking at 2006-10 Cayenne S with the V8's for a tow vehicle/3rd car - which looks like will run $18k - $30k, but a well done professional conversion to a "modern" waterboxer Porsche 6 AWD could be very interesting! idea.gif

Is anyone doing them now?

Tom
///////

Tom, some of my customers do tow small pop-up camping rigs, nothing in the range of 3-4,000 lbs. though. The 3.2/3.6 Porsche engines are good rpm+hp engines, but lack reliable torque for a big haul...especially when the engine already sits in a 4,000 lb. Syncro !
If you are considering pulling that Airstream with a v8 Cayenne, read up on these over at Rennlist. TSB's galore and issues. My nephew owned an '05 v8 biturbo for 2 years, and the maintenance ate him alive. He sold it at a $10k loss.
For towing I have an F150 supercharged 5.4L with an intercooled magna charger at 7 psi boost. It can pull trailers all day !
Marty poke.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 19 2015, 01:19 PM) *

Love it Marty! What trans did you use in those conversions? The motor is a 3.2?

Transaxle used in these conversions were:
2wd = original 2wd 4 speed, or g50 5 speed.
4wd = original 4wd 4 speed. Syncros all had an extra 1st granny gear.
Most were 3.2 Carrera motronic, a few 3.6 c2 motronic engines.
My personal Syncro had a blueprint Trans rebuild, with a higher 4th (final) gear.
pete000
Cool, Vanagon thread ! Here is my 1990 Vanagon.

Too much to list done to this guy.

Chris H.
What the...it's raining Vanagons!

C'mon Pete don't tease us! poke.gif
a914622
The 2.5 suby the is powering my vanagon was destiny for my 914! I had the down payment ready to go on the bosting Ztec engine, then i got the chance to drive one. barf.gif less tork than the water boxer and "race cams" made it worse.

I just sold a rear cushion to a guy that had a porsche powered vanagon that came from SoCal . He had bought it from an estate. Store goes the guy that did the swap was big into racing and would run the vanagon as an officials track rig. Had the stock vw trans and a 3.2 with the muffler punched for 2 outlets.

Along with the 914svx engine I just picked up a 87 g50 and a spare svx engine. Now if I could only find a 78-79 vanagon and a year off from work!

Jcl

Chris H.
QUOTE(a914622 @ Feb 20 2015, 08:06 AM) *

Now if I could only find a 78-79 vanagon and a year off from work!

Jcl

Here's a nice starting point... It's pretty far away from me or I would go look at it. For someone looking to totally re-do a Vannie to a driver it would be worth a look for sure. I THINK this car used to reside in Naperville and I looked at it several years ago.

Vanagon no engine

Thanks for the Bostig feedback. I think my next step is finding another SVX or an EZ30 motor. Taking it slow this time...my 914 conversion was too hectic. Think I was afraid to keep it off the road too long.
914forme
Oh I wish I never entered the Samba, looks like I found a new project. barf.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

But then it is close enough to go and pickup.

I really need to stick with my good ole American Pickemuptruck for hauling and towing does it quite well.

Now if you want to talk Subbie Power in a Type 181 with AWD, a body lift, suspension lift, and a factory hard top, and a soff top, then maybe. I would love to build that for my wife. Convertible in the spring ./ Fall, A/C in the summer, traction in the winter. Makes al the sense in the world to me. Classic VW things looks, that crap grows on you. And 70s colors, Single Orange or Zambezi Green. wub.gif Yeah this idea hasn't been bouncing around in my head for a while.

For PC it could be a Porsche 597 Jagdwagen also, though I am sure she would want 4 doors of the 181. And try to find a 597 then feel the ability to sawzall-smiley.gif
OU8AVW
I spoke to some folks from CCR Engines in Colorado. They pic and rebuild Suby motors. Say they can hook me up with a 2.5 with all the trimmings for around $9k. That includes the harness. Add a Go Westy or Kennedy kit and I should be good to go. I have an auto, but will probably switch to a rebuilt 4 speed, although the auto is pretty sweet....
KELTY360
QUOTE(a914622 @ Feb 20 2015, 06:06 AM) *

The 2.5 suby the is powering my vanagon was destiny for my 914! I had the down payment ready to go on the bosting Ztec engine, then i got the chance to drive one. barf.gif less tork than the water boxer and "race cams" made it worse.

I just sold a rear cushion to a guy that had a porsche powered vanagon that came from SoCal . He had bought it from an estate. Store goes the guy that did the swap was big into racing and would run the vanagon as an officials track rig. Had the stock vw trans and a 3.2 with the muffler punched for 2 outlets.

Along with the 914svx engine I just picked up a 87 g50 and a spare svx engine. Now if I could only find a 78-79 vanagon and a year off from work!

Jcl

No such thing as a '78-79 Vanagon, it would still be a bay in those years. First Vanagon was 1980 and they were air cooled til halfway thru the '83 model year.

I'll weigh in on the SVX in a Vanagon. It absolutely transforms the vehicle! The useable torque is so satisfying for someone who spent years stirring gears in a Westy with a 2.1 waterboxer. Last summer I drove up to Mt. Rainier in my SVX Syncro Westy and was amazed at how pleasant it was to climb a steep, twisty mountain road in 3rd most of the time although I'd occasionally drop to 2nd on severe hairpins. I had 3rd & 4th regeared taller and it makes climbing hills effortless. On the highway it cruises easily at 80 with lots to spare. I don't think 100 is out of the question but the right situation hasn't come up for that attempt.

IMO VW got the Vanagon right....except for that crappy engine with jury-rigged exhaust and cooling systems to complement the screwy head seals. confused24.gif chair.gif Weight distribution is near 50/50, rack and pinion steering, independent suspension, great visibility, good seating (later models). My Westy makes a great base of operations for local use and extended road trips.

In normal use, it's fun to frustrate other drivers who think they're next to, or behind, a plain old ordinary VW bus. It's part of our dna to want to get in front of a VW bus, right? Not so easy when that bus has 240hp. slap.gif I love it when someone has to pull in behind me because they can't accelerate around without attracting attention. At some point I may tow the 914 behind it. That would be like the Enterprise with a separating battle bridge. happy11.gif The brakes were upgraded during the conversion and I'm sure the SVX would handle the towing fine.

All of that said, I'd probably go with the 2.5 if I was doing it again. HP/TQ is a little less but the mpg is dramatically improved. That eg33 is a beast of an engine but it does suck the gas; I get around 15 at highway cruising speeds. Reliable sources have told me 20+ is easily achievable with the 2.5. Whichever way you go, I don't think you can beat the Subies for reliable, powerful conversions that look like they belong in the Vanagon engine bay. Porsche power would be pretty sexy in one of these rigs but I'm doubtful they can pencil out anywhere close, especially in long term useage.

Here's a couple of gratuitous pics. They've been posted elsewhere but a cool Vanagon thread like this deserves the documentation.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Chris H.
Nice polished manifold Kelty...or is it ceramic coated? What was the process?

I love that thing.

Stephen that DOCA MIGHT be promising if the rust isn't too bad. It's a synchro too. I wouldn't pay $10k but for less...who knows. Wonder what "Subie power" it has. The "add-ons" are certainly distracting aren't they? Someone had some extra tractor trailer parts and a whole lot of diamond plate laying around.

Link
pete000
Here is a crazy conversion I saw this year at the Bugorama.

Mid engine Vanagon with I think Audi power and transmission!

Crazy work in progress rig.
pete000
Another crazy conversion, V8 twin turbo power this time also mid engine.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 20 2015, 09:00 AM) *

Nice polished manifold Kelty...or is it ceramic coated? What was the process?

I love that thing.
Link

Thanks Chris. It's polished. I did the initial smoothing of the rough casting and then had a polishing shop finish it off. The eg33 manifold is such a fine shape, it screams for polishing. I freely admit.....I'm fascinated by shiny things.
KELTY360
QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 20 2015, 10:14 AM) *

yikes.gif Where does the sink go? confused24.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 20 2015, 12:00 PM) *

I wouldn't pay $10k but for less...who knows. Wonder what "Subie power" it has. The "add-ons" are certainly distracting aren't they? Someone had some extra tractor trailer parts and a whole lot of diamond plate laying around.

Link

LOL I would if it has on of these in it.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 19 2015, 06:18 PM) *

Tom, some of my customers do tow small pop-up camping rigs, nothing in the range of 3-4,000 lbs. though. The 3.2/3.6 Porsche engines are good rpm+hp engines, but lack reliable torque for a big haul...especially when the engine already sits in a 4,000 lb. Syncro !
If you are considering pulling that Airstream with a v8 Cayenne, read up on these over at Rennlist. TSB's galore and issues. My nephew owned an '05 v8 biturbo for 2 years, and the maintenance ate him alive. He sold it at a $10k loss.
For towing I have an F150 supercharged 5.4L with an intercooled magna charger at 7 psi boost. It can pull trailers all day !
Marty poke.gif

Thanx Marty!

That tracks with what I found out when my wife asked about towing with "her Van" & a V8 swap was just too big, as that other pic of one shows.

Where we live in an Old Towne area Orange 1921 Craftman Bungalow with the long narrow driveway & narrow streets. So aside from big & long trucks/SUVs being a royal PITA to manuever the rig into the driveway on our busy street - I can't open the full size trucks' door more than 1/4 - 1/3 open!

No Room!
Click to view attachment

So the choice was for the smallest SUV package with a V8 & good towing capacity for our Avion, & to also serve as an "extra" 3rd car when one of the others is in the shop. My wife won't even drive a full size pick-up/SUV - so that also killed anything big. The PO of the Avion also had a nice blue/tan `06 F150 V8 that they used as their TV for it & was also FS, but she nixed it right off!

I have checked a lot into the Cayenne S/Toureg V8 issues on Rennlist, AirForums, Pelican, etc. & Eric Shea on here - so know what to look for in them being fixed/updated on the TSBs.

For that reason are mostly looking at Series 2 (ser. 1.5?) 2008-10 CayS's ... or a 2006 (`07 carry-over) Titanium Edition - mainly for the 1 year Iceland Silver (bluish silver) paint color that we like.

The Porsche route filled those needs well plus something else to do with the Porsche club events & drives + I can tow the 914 after the resto is done to concours if needed (at first anyway, but then I'll drive the 914 regualrly), since the 914 resto keeps getting pushed aside. sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 20 2015, 10:24 AM) *

Exactly! agree.gif

Love your Subie-Westy Marc! Very nicely done!

BTW for the V8 folks - IIRC it was this or last week that evil-bay had a V8 Westy conversion FS.

EDIT - here>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171688402437?force...E:SS:SS:US:1120

No Affill, just part of the discussion here.

And there was also a video of a fully blown V8 drag Vanagon video on UTube dragging out the the desert somewhere, that I saw last year sometime, but have lost the bookmarks when my HDD drive died. Crazy fast!! yikes.gif

.... but not a practical idea for most on this thread.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
anderssj
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

at "Classics on the Green," 9-14-14 biggrin.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 20 2015, 12:24 PM) *

Yeah good point. No need for a heater though! And you can roast marshmallows right there in the van!

Maybe they aren't done with it but if so, how LOUD is in in there? WOW. An empty metal box with a twin turbo V8 in the middle of it sucking air through two big cone filters?

Does that barn door have a 4-cam in it???? I see two distributors...

rgalla9146
Later air cooled 911 (993, 3.6) engines had a twin distributor to make it a 12 plug.
Maltese Falcon
Tom T.
I travel daily through Craftsman Central in Glendale, Atwater, Silverlake...I hear what you are sayin about the driveways. But the restored homes are a step back into the '20s, Way Cool !
The 400hp small block that I built for the 2cab, was built from a vintage iron '69 4bolt main LT1. Later model angle plug heads, 8.5:1 cr for today's low octane unleaded, Holly pro-jection, Isky cam with PJ gear drive, Milodon 7 qt. baffle oil pan, MSD ignition and an Edelbrock air gap manifold...and some of my shorty v8 block hugger ceramic coated headers. All way under budget too....I'll use the savings for a nice White/pearl paint job !Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 21 2015, 04:57 PM) *

Tom T.
I travel daily through Craftsman Central in Glendale, Atwater, Silverlake...I hear what you are sayin about the driveways. But the restored homes are a step back into the '20s, Way Cool !
The 400hp small block that I built for the 2cab, was built from a vintage iron '69 4bolt main LT1. Later model angle plug heads, 8.5:1 cr for today's low octane unleaded, Holly pro-jection, Isky cam with PJ gear drive, Milodon 7 qt. baffle oil pan, MSD ignition and an Edelbrock air gap manifold...and some of my shorty v8 block hugger ceramic coated headers. All way under budget too....I'll use the savings for a nice White/pearl paint job !Click to view attachment

Hot motor Marty, it reminds me of the one I helped my uncle build as a teen in the 1960's for his 32 Deuce Roadster with the rumble seat hot rod!

Good thing about the Dokas etc. is that the working deck/floor is higher to be able to put in a taller block/manifold/etc. & you can steal some space for it from that underfloor storage compartment.

However, I always thought that they cast those Edlebrock valve covers such that the read right side up when mounted on the motor, unless something has changed since the 60's-70's!!?? poke.gif

Right now the 90+ year old house is an added list of projects to do on the honey do list that get in the way of my 914 - in addition to competition from our 88 Westy, 85 BMW & Avion trailer & probably a Cayenne S soon too - but we really like it here!

Now & for several years I'm suffering from serious case of too many projects, too little time - itis! dry.gif

I always thought that a 928 S4 motor & trans or G50 or ?? with all the brake & suspension upgrades from same would make for an awesome Vanagon or Westy & one that could tow a bigger trailer, whicle keeping it all OG. I figure if Rick can jamb one into a 914, then a Vanagon might be doable too - if the engine & drivetrain can be reversed reliably.

And a Big Thanx to all on here beerchug.gif for some "sanity time" distractoin talking about fun cars over the past week+, away from the serial calls from doctors, hospitals, family members, etc. while my aunt is in hospital back east & I'm her designated decision maker!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif If I didnt already have my bay conversion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.