Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 19 2017, 01:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2017, 12:17 PM) *

I got the GoWesty Vanagon 2" receiver hitch for ours, because it's the cleanest & least protruding design of the Vanagon hitches out there. That saves on skinned & bruised shins with some of the other designs! I recco you wait until it's on sale to save 10-15% though.

///////

Rocky Mountain Westy integrates a 2" receiver into their bumper that doesn't protrude.
Click to view attachment

As you can see from my pic above Marc, I've kept our Westy stock with the FG Bumpers, so the GW hitch was the best option for me.

If someone is switching to steel bumpers, then that one is a good option. IIRC with the GW steel bumpers, you'd have to add a receiver to it.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
Well the more I look at this thing the more I like it. The undercoating did a great job of protecting the metal underneath. It's flaking off in big chunks now. There's NO rust under there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The engine, however, is getting less promising. Definitely not going to try to get it running.

This is fine. right?

Click to view attachment

Couple of holes in the muffler and pipes, and there seem to be bolts missing, as if someone started working on it but then just gave up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Took the back bumper off since it had a wrinkle in it, and got rid of the cheap FLAPS wheel covers. They DID NOT go quietly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Do these mounts look like they would really work?

eg33 mounts
sechszylinder
Here is my Vanagon.

Currently at the painter. Unfortunately the roof needs to be resprayed in darkblue blink.gif

The car will get a 2.0L GTI Engine, which is a popular swap in Germany, since no modification of the engine mount (originally 50HP Diesel) is needed.

BR

Benno smilie_flagge6.gif
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Very nice Benno! I was thinking about doing a color change but that looks great! I think I'm going with a 4 cylinder Subaru but we'll see what happens. Lots of work to do before it's time for that.

76-914
popcorn[1].gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 20 2017, 09:16 PM) *

eg33 mounts

confused24.gif

I think it's missing some pieces. BTW, I've got the SmallCar mount but if i was doing it again I'd go with the Rocky Mountain Westy system.
Chris H.
Yeah I figured Marc...thanks for the feedback on the RMW mount.

Hey Benno, what year GTI engine are you using?
914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 21 2017, 12:16 AM) *

eg33 mounts

Uses the stock factory bar mount for the engine cross bar, and looks like the stock rear engine mounts on the EG. The part I am having trouble picturing in my mind is the angle of the mounts.

If the plates mount flat on the bar, then the angle will be off on the mounts and the EG mounts will fail. If the plates are angled on the bar, then it would work, I am just not a big fan of the brakes tilted and being held in place by one bolt.

Will it work :confused:more than likely. Will it be an elegant solution compared to the ubber heavy Small Car Mount, no. You will still need to fabricate an exhaust hanger also. The small car exhaust hanger is built from the same steel as the engine most. To say it is over kill is an understatement.

914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 23 2017, 12:11 PM) *

It was a common swap over here also, very easy, you do want to get a diesel engine oil pan and oil pump. The rest if I remember correctly was a matching period engine and the bolt pattern was the same.

Reason for the diesel pan, and pump is it allows the engine to be titled over to fit in the space. Otherwise it a no go.

sechszylinder
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 23 2017, 09:11 AM) *

Its a 1993 engine, which has been used in Golf MK3 GTI and Corrados with engine code 2E. I've completely rebuild the engine featuring new pistons, rebuild cylinder head and new crankshaft bearings. Overall HP will be in the range of 120 HP.
Besides that, I think those subaru engines are a perfect fit for Vanagons, but it needs much more effort for the adaptation.Click to view attachment

BR

Benno
Chris H.
Very interesting. That paint looks so good Benno. I can't stop looking at it! Do you have any other pics? Mine is so dull and faded it you'd never imagine it would look like that . What size are your Toyo tires?

Tom_T
FYI - 15% Off SALE at VWHertiage, for any of those odds-n-ends your VW needs.

<snipped from my email>
Sorry we forgot Valentine’s Day... Technical website issues meant we couldn’t run the promotion as planned... Cupid was furious! But we still love you though. To make up for it we’d like to give you 15% off until the end of the month. Place an order over £100 and enjoy our biggest ever Flash Sale discount. We could have bought you flowers, but to be honest, this is much better!
Use the code BIG15 at the checkout
<end snip>

https://www.vwheritage.com/

Don't forget to check their pricing vs dollars with google search Pound to Dollar, & to consider the PayPal &/or Credit Card Exchange Rates, shipping (if any more from UK), etc. - in comparison with our USA vendors.

However, they have some parts not available here, such as those rubber wiring hose grommets at the top of the Vanagon rear hatch & others.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 24 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Very interesting. That paint looks so good Benno. I can't stop looking at it! Do you have any other pics? Mine is so dull and faded it you'd never imagine it would look like that . What size are your Toyo tires?

o.k. on popular demand, some more pictures of my vanagon ->

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is my new instrument cluster, which I've build using gauges from speedhut and porsche (unfortunately the only porsche part in this car).

Click to view attachment

These will be the rims , with Halloween decoration from my kids. BTW. The same rims before restoration that you will see in the last picture of this post.
Click to view attachment

This is a picture after all chassis repair and welding was done, ready for the painter. That car was a real rust bucket. Lots of work ...
Click to view attachment

If you have questions regarding rust repair, I think I grew up to an real expert in this field regarding Vanagons blink.gif

BR

Benno smilie_flagge6.gif
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 24 2017, 09:50 AM) *

And finally, to bring in some Porsche content, a side by side shot of my Vanagon and my 914/6 GT tribute car project some years before .

Click to view attachment

BR

Benno smilie_flagge6.gif
Front yard mechanic
A box is a box is a box chair.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 28 2017, 08:46 AM) *

Nobody forced you to look at this thread Mr. Killjoy! dry.gif

Maybe this V8 Middie Van will float your boat!? happy11.gif

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=10823

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

One dang fast BOX!!!! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Front yard mechanic
My kind of box indeed aktion035.gif
Tom_T
Even on the basic 4-bangers - what other car of the <1990s can you camp out in weekends/vacations, drive it as your DD the rest of the time, & live in permanently as your home if need be - than a Westy van!? smile.gif

FYI I've seen another Vanagon online from SoCal with a Porsche 928 V8 transplanted into it - imagine a "box" version of Rick's "Alien" 928 V8 powered 914 on here! driving.gif

And then there are the Subie flat-6s & Porsche's own B32 Carrera Vanagons with great power & handling .... for a brick on wheels! driving.gif

So sometimes a a box just isn't a box - or at least not an ordinary one! piratenanner.gif

PS - I'd suggest that you clean & sanitize the seat really well on the car in your avatar!!!! blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 28 2017, 01:30 PM) *

FYI I've seen another Vanagon online from SoCal with a Porsche 928 V8 transplanted into it - imagine a "box" version of Rick's "Alien" 928 V8 powered 914 on here! driving.gif
Tom
///////

That is quite interesting! Can you post a link?
br
Benno
strawman
I bought a 1981 Diesel Vanagon Westfalia off flEaBAY in 1997 . The drive back from Ft. Collins, CO to Logan, UT was verrrrry sloooowwww -- I was passed by big rigs and everything else on the road. It was a very easy swap to a gasser MkII Golf engine even back in 1998 before the expansive lore of the Internet got in the way, although you definitely want to regear the transmission -- otherwise it'll be a stump-puller that screams as highway speeds. It's maiden trip (pun intended) was Burning Man in 1999...

I followed up that swap with a Suby EJ22 into a 1986 Westy Syncro in 2002. I wish I kept it because the price of these rigs is now astronomical; did I REALLY sell it for less than $10k in 2007 (to Warren Chapman, RIP)?!?!?. But my current TDI-swapped 1993 Eurovan Westy is the best yet. A/C that actually works, great ergonomics, more "substantial" overall feel, and 30mpg make it a great combo.
Front yard mechanic
Van guys are sensitive
Tom_T
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Feb 28 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Tom
///////

br
Benno

Not a finished project, I don't think, so it's not pretty from the backside, as compared to Porsche's own "B32 Carrera" Vanagons.

http://www.2040-cars.com/Volkswagen/Bus-Va...sche-v8-292757/

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

vs. the `85 Porsche B32 Carrera's clean resolution of the design mods -
http://www.carbuildindex.com/24024/porsche...t3-bus-the-b32/

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2017, 06:08 PM) *

Just because you can...doesn't mean you should. shades.gif

Even worse, they hacked up a Syncro to do it.
Tom_T
If they'd done it well Marc, then it would've been a screaming syncro, which also looked good! happy11.gif

The hack job was in the lack of quality & professionality in the execution of the resto-mod project, & with the engine hanging out the back without a legal bumper substitute on there - & not whether it passes smog - was probably why the guy couldn't get DMV to approve his half-fast project!! ... as he complains about in his write-up at the link I gave.

I'd modify your comment to be:
"Just because you can, is no reason to do a half-fast hack job!"

If you're going to do something resto-mod, then do it right - dammit! dry.gif

Besides, there are a ton of Subie-Synchro conversions out there too!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2017, 06:22 PM) *

If they'd done it well Marc, then it would've been a screaming syncro, which also looked good! happy11.gif

The hack job was in the lack of quality & professionality in the execution of the resto-mod project, & with the engine hanging out the back without a legal bumper substitute on there - & not whether it passes smog - was probably why the guy couldn't get DMV to approve his half-fast project!! ... as he complains about in his write-up at the link I gave.

I'd modify your comment to be:
"Just because you can, is no reason to do a half-fast hack job!"

If you're going to do something resto-mod, then do it right - dammit! dry.gif

Besides, there are a ton of Subie-Synchro conversions out there too!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

There is no way to do that conversion well. The dimensions of that engine means you have to cut the firewall and impinge on the rear seats. Which also means you have no room for the fuel tank. Even at that you still have an engine sitting about 4" off the ground. Senseless.

The proliferation of Subie conversions is a result of horizontally opposed engines designed with a clean sheet instead of obsolete technology hodge-podged together for water cooling. VW had everything right on the Vanagon, except the engine. It's a great box.
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2017, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Feb 28 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Tom
///////

br
Benno

Not a finished project, I don't think, so it's not pretty from the backside, as compared to Porsche's own "B32 Carrera" Vanagons.

http://www.2040-cars.com/Volkswagen/Bus-Va...sche-v8-292757/

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hey Tom, thanks for the link and the pictures, but thats, what I have feared ...

It looks ugly and is a quite bad technical solution barf.gif

Besides that, I know that particular B32 in the pictures. It has been owned by a private owner for a long time and is now in a museum in Hannover Germany.

BR

Benno
Tom_T
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 2 2017, 01:29 AM) *

Hey Tom, thanks for the link and the pictures, but thats, what I have feared ...

It looks ugly and is a quite bad technical solution barf.gif

Besides that, I know that particular B32 in the pictures. It has been owned by a private owner for a long time and is now in a museum in Hannover Germany.

BR

Benno

Benno,

I saw that one in the Hanover Museum on their website first too, when I was googling for the Oettenger WBX6. I'd love to research & write a rare Porsche article for our PCA Panorama or Excellence magazines sometime when I have time after retirement.

I cringe at hack jobs of any type on any car/truck! dry.gif

If you're going to do something, then do it right! first.gif

I think one could do a nice clean & well designed Vanagon mod with the late '86-95 928 V8's & 928 running gear (suspension/brakes/etc.), or with a newer donor AWD V8 Cayenne S or Panamera 4S, & have a great Vanagon/Westy!

Then my wife could be happy to be able to tow our restored vintage 1960 Avion T20 (similar to Airstream - but better - +/- 3000-3500 lbs wet & loaded) in style with our `88 Westy! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JmuRiz
A B32 would be so cool to have/drive.

About the only minivan I'd ever want to own.
Tom_T
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 2 2017, 11:55 AM) *

A B32 would be so cool to have/drive.

About the only minivan I'd ever want to own.

Also about the only minivan eligible for PCA Concours, AX, DE & Track events (sorry for the typo!). biggrin.gif

As rare as the B32s are, I'd think that they'd be wildly expensive.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
My first inclination was to do a B32 clone. Maybe it will morph into that over time.

BTW that 928 conversion van looks like a gutted fish. Innards are just spilling out of the open wound lol-2.gif .

Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 2 2017, 12:35 PM) *

My first inclination was to do a B32 clone. Maybe it will morph into that over time.

BTW that 928 conversion van looks like a gutted fish. Innards are just spilling out of the open wound lol-2.gif .

If you do a B32 clone, then I'd suggest that you do an updated clone with a watercooled 2000-10's Boxster/Cayman (896/897/891) or 911 (996/997/991) with a good driveline from an otherwise totaled one - do the IMS Bearing fix if the earlier *86/*87 engines, & you can also do it AWD if you got it from a 4S/4 AWD 911 donor.

That way you'll have a newer WBX which can run cooler, & you'll not have to do all the water to air cooled mods on a later Vano, which involved some complex air ducting for those rear mid-high side ducts & other stuff - most of which would be NLA & hard to reproduce repros.

RUF has also done one or some Porsche 6 Vanagons (not sure how many), which also would be "legal" under PCA rules BTW. IIRC this has an aircooled 3.6.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/youll-lo...topic46463.html

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 1 2017, 06:45 PM) *

There is no way to do that conversion well. The dimensions of that engine means you have to cut the firewall and impinge on the rear seats. Which also means you have no room for the fuel tank. Even at that you still have an engine sitting about 4" off the ground. Senseless.

The proliferation of Subie conversions is a result of horizontally opposed engines designed with a clean sheet instead of obsolete technology hodge-podged together for water cooling. VW had everything right on the Vanagon, except the engine. It's a great box.

agree.gif that they had it all right, & should've followed thru with Porsche's advice & finished out their WBX6 JV project with Oettenger as a production model.

It always P.O's me when Iacocca claims he/Dodge-Chrysler "invented" the mini-van - at a time when VW had already been building them for for over 3 decades. IMHO, VW has made nice & appealing design progress on their vans with every generation - except perhaps when the rebadged the "Chrysler-Rutan" for the US/Canada.

However, & I disagree that there is no way to design & engineer something with a Porsche V8 driveline/suspension/brakes as 2WD or 4WD/AWD. So what if you need to move the rear seats forward, or relocate the Synchro's rear fuel tank.

Any good designer/engineer can accomplish a solution which works & looks good. It may take some time, research & loads of cash - compared to a Subie 4/6 or maybe even compared to a Porsche flat-6 conversion. But then, this would be a one-off dream -build sort of thing.

Just think if they said that Porsche couldn't put the 908 engine in the 914-8 bec ause they had to cut the firewall!? beerchug.gif

Where there is a will - coupled with the skill - there is a way IMHO! smile.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sechszylinder
The company Claer is well known in Germany for their Porsche conversions of Vanagons and other VW vans.

Have a look http://www.claer-automobile.de/

BR
Benno
914forme
How about an S33 van.

EG33, and then do all the suspension and brake work. I need to quit looking at this thread. Always wanted one of the dual cab pickups, and well........
Chris H.
Yes Stephen, that's what I'm thinking. Not an exact copy but a "B33", maybe with the look but a little less stiff. Something I could drive comfortably but with a little extra power. The nice thing is I can start with a 4 and work my way up if I want to.

I clicked the Claer link and saw this right away...don't go in there Stephen...you'll get side-tracked on your Dad's 6 resto biggrin.gif .

Click to view attachment

Wow there are some pretty cool conversions out there for this old box! Tom/Benno, I spent a LOT of time looking at the 996 tiptronic trans since there are literally no other options outside of the Vanagon automatic. It requires the key immobilizer module as well, and the wiring is pretty scary looking. Lots of sensors and inputs that would not be used, some of which would likely have to have their voltage simulated. LOTS of them. I suppose a Boxster engine would pretty much connect to it. Can't do a Boxster trans since it spins the wrong way. Definitely an option.

Bottom line is cost really. There are a couple of low mileage/bad transmission SVX's on Craigslist now. Tempting to harvest one of those. But then what do I use for a trans...? That's where I'm stuck. Seems like it's almost the same money to do a Subaru trans but I'd really like (or at least I think I would like) an automatic so everyone can drive it in the fam. SubaruGears IS working on an auto trans reverse R&P but won't give a time frame.

BTW did anyone see this?

SubaruGears now makes adapters for mating Subaru transmissions to a LOT of different engines:

The Type 1! The Type 4! Ecotec, Zetec, all VW engines, 1.8t, All the way to the LS1 and the REALLY GOOD Lexus 4.0 V8. I know KEP will make these too but it's interesting that they are making a trans plate to mate to VW air cooled engines. Pretty cool actually. And the quality will be very good.

SubaruGears adapter plates

Also, has anyone heard of this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VA0deR7P6E

He REVERSED the 1.8T engine direction so you can use an Audi/VW trans. The company does not sell kits. Only the full conversion which is about $10-$12k including the engine. Really not a bad deal actually but I want to do it myself.
Tom_T
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 2 2017, 10:07 PM) *

The company Claer is well known in Germany for their Porsche conversions of Vanagons and other VW vans.

Have a look http://www.claer-automobile.de/

BR
Benno

Thanx Benno,

I've seen 1 or 2 of the Claers come up for sale online in Europe over the years.

There are also several USA shops which specialize in dropping a Porsche 6 into T3 Vanagons too, including one of our LA area members on here (but I'm spacing on his name right now), who has posted in this thread.

I had mentioned RUF because the main US/Canada Porsche Club PCA rules treat RUF cars as if a factory Porsche, due to their relationship with the factory I suppose. So members can enter them in any PCA event, but the others aren't regarded that privilege.

However, I disagree with that approach myself in principal. I think any Porsche running gear conversion, re-body, etc. should be allowed, since PCA has a "Special" division for such unique cars, & there are a lot of car conversions out there which would be interesting for members to see in AX, DE/Race, Concours & other driving events.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Oew-Oew .... Mr. Kottah!

How 'bout an aircooled 908 flat 8 in a Vano!? piratenanner.gif happy11.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914forme
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 3 2017, 12:07 PM) *

There are also several USA shops which specialize in dropping a Porsche 6 into T3 Vanagons too, including one of our LA area members on here (but I'm spacing on his name right now), who has posted in this thread.

Tom
///////

Marty of MSDS Fame? He has done a few of them including a very drooley.gif Vanagon Synro with a 3.2 out back.

And this V8 Double Cab drooley.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 3 2017, 02:27 PM) *

Tom
///////

Marty of MSDS Fame? He has done a few of them including a very drooley.gif Vanagon Synro with a 3.2 out back.

I think so - does he go by MalteseFalcon or something similar on here?

.... sorry for the halfzymer moment hon this, but I'm doing about 5 things at the same time today! blink.gif

The Doka & Single Cab's higher rear deck really opens up space & options for some radical mods, doesn't it!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914forme
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 3 2017, 05:44 PM) *

Tom
///////

.... sorry for the halfzymer moment hon this, but I'm doing about 5 things at the same time today! blink.gif

The Doka & Single Cab's higher rear deck really opens up space & options for some radical mods, doesn't it!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yep that would be him.

poke.gif LS7 and C2 trans happy11.gif
Tom_T

BTW - ALL cars/etc. are "Boxes" - & designers refer to them as either 1, 2 or 3 Box design .... if not obvious -

> most cars & pick-ups are "3 Box" design - including our 914s,

> SUV/CUVs, station wagons/Touring/Shooting Brake (who the F*** came up with that last one!? blink.gif ), Hatches & some Vans/Mini-Vans are "2 Box" design,

> & most Vans/Mini-Vans & some cars like the Scion B/etc. are "1 Box" design.

So any way your cut it - all vehicles are "Boxes" are "Boxes" are "Boxes"! drunk.gif biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sechszylinder
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 4 2017, 11:22 AM) *

BTW - ALL cars/etc. are "Boxes" - & designers refer to them as either 1, 2 or 3 Box design .... if not obvious -

> SUV/CUVs, station wagons/Touring/Shooting Brake (who the F*** came up with that last one!? blink.gif ), Hatches & some Vans/Mini-Vans are "2 Box" design,

So any way your cut it - all vehicles are "Boxes" are "Boxes" are "Boxes"! drunk.gif biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

From my point of view, besides the 914,I always liked the Golf GTI (Rabbit) MK1 style, which is really kind of a box.

So I think of my Vanagon as of a bulky mutated Golf GTI MK1, perfect suited as a Porsche parts- / family- hauler laugh.gif

BR

Benno smilie_flagge6.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 4 2017, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 4 2017, 11:22 AM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

From my point of view, besides the 914,I always liked the Golf GTI (Rabbit) MK1 style, which is really kind of a box.

So I think of my Vanagon as of a bulky mutated Golf GTI MK1, perfect suited as a Porsche parts- / family- hauler laugh.gif

BR

Benno smilie_flagge6.gif

No Benno, the GTI is a "2 Box" design by automotive convention! biggrin.gif

I like the reference to our Vanagons as "A Brick on Wheels" - heavy & square! laugh.gif

Although, the Vanagon broke ground with sleeker design & better aerodynamics, long before Chrysler/Dodge's entry! shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 3 2017, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 3 2017, 05:44 PM) *

Tom
///////

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yep that would be him.

poke.gif LS7 and C2 trans happy11.gif

Marty used to sell a kit to do the 3.2 conversion. He has a 935 engine in his 914. pray.gif
Tom_T
Required equipment for any stock Vanagon .... shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Various styles & vehicles can be found at the link below & not expensive - I used the one to add your own text -

http://stores.ebay.com/sundownstickers/

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
A photo of our now Classic Westy in front of our vintage 1960 Avion T20 (#2 off the line) last October at the "Ride the Wild Surf" vintage trailer rally at the Newport Dunes Resort in Newport Beach CA - 1960's era doodads on the left & 1980's era doodads on the right .... just for the halibut! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Another photo of our now Classic 1988 Westy in front of our vintage 1960 Avion T20 (#2 off the line) last October at the "Ride the Wild Surf" vintage trailer rally at the Newport Dunes Resort in Newport Beach CA - 1960's era doodads on the left & 1980's era doodads on the right .... just for the halibut! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rgalla9146
I worked in the eighties for a VW, Porsche, Audi independent shop.
It was located near the US headquarters of VW +Porsche Audi and the owner had strong connections to the firm and many friends there.
On occasion unusual cars would drop in on their way from JFK airfreight to the
headquarters in Englewood Cliffs.
Once a Vanagon showed up with a 3.2 installed by Porsche in Germany.
It was white with a beautiful navy blue all leather 6 seat interior and Bose sound system.
It also had 911 steel wheels and flat hubcaps. And a 930 4 speed.
The cast 3.2 intake manifolds had aluminum tape covering the cast Porsche logo.
All factory done. It was on it's way to a Ca.dealer....Fuller... Porsche ?
AND .... I got to drive it.
My '89 Westy could really use some of that zip.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 12 2017, 08:58 AM) *

I worked in the eighties for a VW, Porsche, Audi independent shop.
It was located near the US headquarters of VW +Porsche Audi and the owner had strong connections to the firm and many friends there.
On occasion unusual cars would drop in on their way from JFK airfreight to the
headquarters in Englewood Cliffs.
Once a Vanagon showed up with a 3.2 installed by Porsche in Germany.
It was white with a beautiful navy blue all leather 6 seat interior and Bose sound system.
It also had 911 steel wheels and flat hubcaps. And a 930 4 speed.
The cast 3.2 intake manifolds had aluminum tape covering the cast Porsche logo.
All factory done. It was on it's way to a Ca.dealer....Fuller... Porsche ?
AND .... I got to drive it.
My '89 Westy could really use some of that zip.

Very Interesting - I didn't realize that they sent any of their B32's over to the US - officially or unofficially.

If I ever won the Power Ball big, I'd get some Vanagon +/-85 & see if Porsche Classics could be talked into building an "original continuation" B32. piratenanner.gif

Of course for that I'd actually have to buy lotto tickets! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.