Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 12 2017, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 12 2017, 08:58 AM) *

I worked in the eighties for a VW, Porsche, Audi independent shop.
It was located near the US headquarters of VW +Porsche Audi and the owner had strong connections to the firm and many friends there.
On occasion unusual cars would drop in on their way from JFK airfreight to the
headquarters in Englewood Cliffs.
Once a Vanagon showed up with a 3.2 installed by Porsche in Germany.
It was white with a beautiful navy blue all leather 6 seat interior and Bose sound system.
It also had 911 steel wheels and flat hubcaps. And a 930 4 speed.
The cast 3.2 intake manifolds had aluminum tape covering the cast Porsche logo.
All factory done. It was on it's way to a Ca.dealer....Fuller... Porsche ?
AND .... I got to drive it.
My '89 Westy could really use some of that zip.

Very Interesting - I didn't realize that they sent any of their B32's over to the US - officially or unofficially.

If I ever won the Power Ball big, I'd get some Vanagon +/-85 & see if Porsche Classics could be talked into building an "original continuation" B32. piratenanner.gif

Of course for that I'd actually have to buy lotto tickets! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Oh! the Vanagon I drove was not a B32.
It was very 'plain Jane from the outside.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 12 2017, 10:50 AM) *

It was located near the US headquarters of VW +Porsche Audi and the owner had strong connections to the firm and many friends there.
It was white with a beautiful navy blue all leather 6 seat interior and Bose sound system.

Very Interesting - I didn't realize that they sent any of their B32's over to the US - officially or unofficially.

If I ever won the Power Ball big, I'd get some Vanagon +/-85 & see if Porsche Classics could be talked into building an "original continuation" B32. piratenanner.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I wonder if it could've been one of the factory B32 prototypes which they fitted out? The 6 blue leather seats were pretty unique to the final "Exec Limo" version of the production B32.

IIRC the blue & white versions of the B32 which I've seen in the pix had the blue seats, but they looked like these in the Anthracite Grey Metallic B32 from the VW Museum in Hamburg (??) below.

Click to view attachment

Does that interior shot look familiar - other than not blue & leather? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 12 2017, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 12 2017, 10:50 AM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I wonder if it could've been one of the factory B32 prototypes which they fitted out? The 6 blue leather seats were pretty unique to the final "Exec Limo" version of the production B32.

IIRC the blue & white versions of the B32 which I've seen in the pix had the blue seats, but they looked like these in the Anthracite Grey Metallic B32 from the VW Museum in Hamburg (??) below.

Click to view attachment

Does that interior shot look familiar - other than not blue & leather? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Don't forget this was ~30 years ago !
My recollection is the seats were smooth solid leather.
The seating was the two front seats plus two rear facing optional and the rear
bench..... so could actually be a seven seater.
I clearly remember the steel 911 wheels with the flat hubcaps without Porsche
crests.
When was the last air cooled Vanagon ....1982 - 83 ?
Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 12 2017, 01:51 PM) *

Don't forget this was ~30 years ago !
My recollection is the seats were smooth solid leather.
The seating was the two front seats plus two rear facing optional and the rear
bench..... so could actually be a seven seater.
I clearly remember the steel 911 wheels with the flat hubcaps without Porsche
crests.
When was the last air cooled Vanagon ....1982 - 83 ?

I hear ya, at 64 some things are foggy for me too! blink.gif biggrin.gif

I saw some pix of one of the prototype B32 airboxer/6 T3/Vanagons, & it had the 911 steel wheels. I'll try to find that later on. The article may have said something about it being sent to the US.

Yes, up to mid-83 MY was the 2L aircooled motor, but the Vanagon/T3 were specifically design for water boxers, but the engines weren't ready for mainstream until well after the mid-1979 release of the T3-Vano.

Some would question whether they were really ready for prime time then - what with coolant eating thru dissimilar metals in the heads/gaskets/cases in 20K miles! dry.gif

But the B32s were built in 85 MY from waterboxer/4 T3s, & essentially backdated to aircooled - since Porsche's 3.2 Carreras were still airboxer/6s.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
This photo of a magazine article is hard to read (I suggest enlarging it), but goes thru the history of how they came up with the B32 - NOT as a chase/support vehicle for the Paris-Dakkar Race, but as a test vehicle/support vehicle for other Porsche engineering programs being tested in Africa, & then they decided to produce them.

What I like about it, is that it interviewed some of the actual Porsche engineers, rather than hearsay & "alternative facts." biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'd like to find a better copy of that article, but I don't even know the originating auto magazine's name, since that info was cropped off of the pix.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
veltror
Why not fit an Audi 5 cylinder, this was factory fitment in south africa

http://www.lekkercamper.co.za/travel-artic...ersonality.html
Tom_T
QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 12 2017, 04:07 PM) *

I never was a fan of the Audi 5-banger in the T4/Eurovans, which vans alsways seemed equally underpowered until they put the VR6 in them.

Not to mention ....

What's more sexy - a Porsche Carrera 3.2L flat-6 with the Fuchs wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes & all of the other 911 Carrera suspension bits .... piratenanner.gif

.... or an Audi I-5? huh.gif

I'd be keen to see a Merlin 16 cylinder amidships (from the P51 Mustang, Spitfire, Hydro-boats, at least one NHRA Dragster "Rail", etc.) - sans interior (sim. to the dragster a few pages back) - just to see what that could blast like!! happy11.gif

Realistically for a modern hot Vanagon/T3, probably pulling the flat 6 WBX drivetrain & running gear from a post 2000's Porsche is the hot set-up with most sex appeal which will fit the space reasonably well, IMHO. popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
My cousin said he had close to 2000hp in his P-51 so that might be a bit much for a VW van.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 12 2017, 05:52 PM) *

My cousin said he had close to 2000hp in his P-51 so that might be a bit much for a VW van.

It would be a dragster "Rail" posing as a VW Van Mark.

A buddy of my uncle had a straight Rail with the 16 cyl. Merlin in it & ran at OCR & other dragstrips here in SoCal back in the 1960's, & he had more than 2k HP & it ripped!

It had this teenage boy's eyes like saucers when we saw it run! blink.gif

They were more available back in the 1960's in the days when you could still get WWII surplus stuff cheap, & used in Hydroplane raceboats mostly.

My uncle got a perfect crated WWII Jeep 100% new for $200 back then.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
veltror
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 13 2017, 01:18 AM) *

QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 12 2017, 04:07 PM) *

I never was a fan of the Audi 5-banger in the T4/Eurovans, which vans alsways seemed equally underpowered until they put the VR6 in them.

Not to mention ....

What's more sexy - a Porsche Carrera 3.2L flat-6 with the Fuchs wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes & all of the other 911 Carrera suspension bits .... piratenanner.gif

.... or an Audi I-5? huh.gif

I'd be keen to see a Merlin 16 cylinder amidships (from the P51 Mustang, Spitfire, Hydro-boats, at least one NHRA Dragster "Rail", etc.) - sans interior (sim. to the dragster a few pages back) - just to see what that could blast like!! happy11.gif

Realistically for a modern hot Vanagon/T3, probably pulling the flat 6 WBX drivetrain & running gear from a post 2000's Porsche is the hot set-up with most sex appeal which will fit the space reasonably well, IMHO. popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

% cykinder in a T3 rear enguned Audi 5
Tom_T
QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 13 2017, 11:40 AM) *

blink.gif huh.gif WTF.gif

Sorry Mate, but I have no idea what you're getting at here!? confused24.gif

I do know what you meant by the SA Audi 5 cyl. fitment, just not thrilled by it.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
I FINALLY got lucky on a car part purchase! Not that I haven't been given stuff by many people here, etc, but I ACCIDENTALLY found the exact wheels I wanted:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Was just looking for a set of stock wheels to clean up and put new tires on after a lot of back-and-forth since the stock steel wheels are 14's. I asked about these and the guy said "wait...these aren't stock...they are...15x7. You sure you want 'em?" Ahhh....YEAH! WRAP THOSE UP! Perfect size for a Vanagon. I can add a nice fat 215/70 tire for a smooth ride but still have a decent contact patch and slightly more aggressive look.

KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 11 2017, 07:31 PM) *

I FINALLY got lucky on a car part purchase! Not that I haven't been given stuff by many people here, etc, but I ACCIDENTALLY found the exact wheels I wanted:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Was just looking for a set of stock wheels to clean up and put new tires on after a lot of back-and-forth since the stock steel wheels are 14's. I asked about these and the guy said "wait...these aren't stock...they are...15x7. You sure you want 'em?" Ahhh....YEAH! WRAP THOSE UP! Perfect size for a Vanagon. I can add a nice fat 215/70 tire for a smooth ride but still have a decent contact patch and slightly more aggressive look.

Nice! Those 15s will also reduce the effects of crosswinds and oncoming 18 wheelers.
Chris H.
Yeah I hope so! The 14's look so small! I have small tires on the 14's too so that may be part of it. On the new ones it's obvious the centers were cut out and welded to 15" hoops. Can't wait to get them on the beast.
Tom_T
These Maxxis Tires exceed the factory spec & are super stable in winds & 18-wheeler passes - even in the stock 14" size.

I highly recommend them!

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-227-104...series-ue-168-n

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
76-914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 13 2017, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 13 2017, 11:40 AM) *

blink.gif huh.gif WTF.gif

Sorry Mate, but I have no idea what you're getting at here!? confused24.gif

I do know what you meant by the SA Audi 5 cyl. fitment, just not thrilled by it.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Easy; %=5 depending on shift key function. U is next to I and K is next to L on the keyboard. Typing w/o eyeglasses would be a kind description, don't you think? lol-2.gif
Chris H.
Thanks for the tire tip Tom (say that 10 times fast).

BTW I'm surprised/bummed about how hard it is to find good VW dog dish hubcaps any more! Sheesh I used to have a dozen of them just for decoration. The new ones apparently rust very easily so it's either used or $$$ OEM if you can find them. The bus/vanagon caps are thicker to accommodate the wheel hub which sticks out a bit so Beetle/Type 3 caps won't work.
76-914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 13 2017, 11:06 AM) *

BTW I'm surprised/bummed about how hard it is to find good VW dog dish hubcaps any more! Sheesh I used to have a dozen of them just for decoration. The new ones apparently rust very easily so it's either used or $$$ OEM if you can find them. The bus/vanagon caps are thicker to accommodate the wheel hub which sticks out a bit so Beetle/Type 3 caps won't work.

I may have one or two from my Ghia restoration years back. The new ones I purchased in 2001 were thin compared to the factory OEM's. LMK, it's yours for the asking Chris. Kent
Tom_T

Chris -

Those Maxxis are better than the OE Michelins for the Vanagon when new, & the tread is deeper - so more of an all weather M+S depth (15/32" IIRC).

For the caps, try the VW Bus Shop - Peter Gunzl - either in their regular or VW Classic parts sections, & you may have to look at other T1-T2 or Bugs/Ghias for what you want, since that 15" wheel was more common on those, than Vanagons/T3s.

https://www.vwbusshop.de/

That's where GoWesty, Van Cafe, Bus Depot, etc. gets many of their parts anyway - but adding their own mark-up, &/or not offering kits that are available from Gunzl! dry.gif

Another source for repro caps might be Hubcap Mike's here in Orange CA, but do a good thick 90-=100% Carnuba wax on them before mounting (both/all sides) cuz their chrome isn't as thick as OE - as I found out with the 57 Plymouth caps used on our 1960 Avion T20 trailer.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2017, 01:16 PM) *

I may have one or two from my Ghia restoration years back. The new ones I purchased in 2001 were thin compared to the factory OEM's. LMK, it's yours for the asking Chris. Kent

Wow thanks Kent! I'll let you know for sure. OEM NEW is $260 for the set shipped. Not terrible. Not great...but not terrible. 3X the cost of the cheaper ones.
Chris H.
Very interesting....anyone want to make a B36???

Vanagon/996 package deal
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 1 2018, 07:21 PM) *

Very interesting....anyone want to make a B36???

Vanagon/996 package deal

There has to be a good story here with that sale.... no wheels or suspension for either vehicle and not even close to being finished?
Chris H.
It looks like they have suspension for at least the van but it's not installed. I agree there must be a reason why the conversion just stopped one day. You could use a 996 trans in a Vanagon but the AWD setup would be pretty hard to transfer over.
euro911
'Eileen' is at a friend's shop - the old 1.9L sucked a valve back in December, so it'll be coming home with a 2.1L in it soon biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Sticking with the waterboxer eh Mark? 2.1 should give it more pep.

I'm stalled at a crossroads on mine...I have a line on a 2.2L Subaru engine with less than 80k...guy wants $600. Or I could rebuild my 1.9 which looks very good inside. I could just re-ring it and re-seal it, but then you start thinking about "while I'm in there.." and it starts adding up.
KELTY360
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 2 2018, 03:30 AM) *

'Eileen' is at a friend's shop - the old 1.9L sucked a valve back in December, so it'll be coming home with a 2.1L in it soon biggrin.gif

Mark - Do you need any 2.1 wiring harness pieces? I've got a complete, uncut (I think), harness without a van to go into.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 2 2018, 05:58 AM) *

Sticking with the waterboxer eh Mark? 2.1 should give it more pep.

I'm stalled at a crossroads on mine...I have a line on a 2.2L Subaru engine with less than 80k...guy wants $600. Or I could rebuild my 1.9 which looks very good inside. I could just re-ring it and re-seal it, but then you start thinking about "while I'm in there.." and it starts adding up.

Rebuilding that 1.9 is a great idea...... chair.gif

If you can get the engine harness and ecu with the Subie why would you even hesitate. MPG alone will probably make up the cost difference. happy11.gif
euro911
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 2 2018, 07:59 AM) *
Mark - Do you need any 2.1 wiring harness pieces? I've got a complete, uncut (I think), harness without a van to go into.
I'll shoot you a PM, Marc.
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 2 2018, 10:06 AM) *

Rebuilding that 1.9 is a great idea...... chair.gif

If you can get the engine harness and ecu with the Subie why would you even hesitate. MPG alone will probably make up the cost difference. happy11.gif

Yeah I can't explain it Marc. It's like I want to finish it for the engineering challenge. The parts are worth more than the whole engine running I bet. And the zero to 60 time BRAND NEW per Motorweek was 18 seconds. I'd like to go 2.5 but it's so hard to find a low mileage one fairly cheaply.

Probably posted this before, but here's the Motorweek review...handled pretty well for a big metal box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnnVFB3628g
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 2 2018, 01:48 PM) *

And the zero to 60 time BRAND NEW per Motorweek was 18 seconds.

I have it on good authority that it's much longer than that! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914forme
poke.gif 2.5L subaru manual trans poke.gif confused24.gif
914forme
poke.gif WRX in your back yard poke.gif Make that van fly confused24.gif
914forme
To go AWD you must flip the ring gear in the trans and then the front you rotate the front diff on its top. Move the vent to its bottom which is now its top, and drive it like a really fast Synchro happy11.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(914forme @ May 2 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Next week I'll be cruising my EG33 Syncro Westy through Montana, trying my best to hold it under 85......just sayin'. shades.gif
Chris H.
You're both getting to me for sure. When I REALLY consider it I can't imagine going anywhere with a 3600 lb van that has 83HP. That is 43 pounds per HP.

Are the Vanagon Subaru guys starting to use the later engines now? I was seeing a cutoff point at 2004ish for quite a while. The later ones seem to be somewhat cheaper but I haven't come across a conversion using one yet. An H6 would be really sweet too. Need to find me an EZ30D for decent $ maybe.
porschetub
Always loved these vans,had my fair share of buses in the earlier times...7 bay windows and 2 splitties,unfortunately before any number of T25's came into my country there was the Japanese vans were coming in and cheaper due to Euro import duties.
The few that came in were personal imports and cost the owners dearly.
Engine conversions ,they did all sorts out of SA the Audi 5L wasn't that great success ,not because of the engine just the weight it was moving,I understand some folks put mk2 GTI motors in them...same issue as the Audi.
If I could find one I would go for the 16V ABF (9A usa) a very good motor that easily can achieve 300K with out an problems and 150hp,easily tuned to 170hp and great on fuel,less complicated than the 20v 1.8t conversions.
The Vr6 motor is a lump in 12v form and not totally worth the effort ,can drink like a sailor if pushed in this application,however not the worse choice due to being 2.8l.
euro911
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 2 2018, 07:15 PM) *
Next week I'll be cruising my EG33 Syncro Westy through Montana, trying my best to hold it under 85......just sayin'. shades.gif
I've had Eileen up to 96 mph (GPS verified) ... driving.gif

Click to view attachment

... going downhill laugh.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 2 2018, 08:59 PM) *

Me too in our `88 Westy's 2.1L with AT .... radar warning sign verified. driving.gif

Downhill, so I can still keep 60-65 uphill on the other side! biggrin.gif

Plenty of time to "imagine" at stock Vanagon speeds Chris!
... or daydream, check out fields & livestock, Rock to the Beach Boys & Beatles, etc.! aktion035.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KELTY360
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 2 2018, 09:59 PM) *

I said cruisin' tunez.gif ......not listening for rod knock yikes.gif

BTW, I've seen triple digits on the speedo, but that was also downhill.

914forme
poke.gif I have an extra 3.3 long block here just saying happy11.gif

LS swap keeps making it siren calls, I have myself tied to the mast but it would not take much for me to cut the ropes and jump ship. screwy.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 3 2018, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 2 2018, 09:59 PM) *

I said cruisin' tunez.gif ......not listening for rod knock yikes.gif

BTW, I've seen triple digits on the speedo, but that was also downhill.

Over 100mph confirmed on a flat highway in the vair powered 74.
Chris H.
QUOTE(914forme @ May 3 2018, 05:50 PM) *

LS swap keeps making it siren calls, I have myself tied to the mast but it would not take much for me to cut the ropes and jump ship. screwy.gif

Oh I remember Steve...any idea how the internals are? Great engine but I would not want to rebuild one. Most of the time they are good for 200k or so. I have a spare intake manifold and most of the accessories to make it complete. I hear ya on the LS...it's really one of the best swaps for a 914.

Doc I bet 100 in a bay window is pretty intense. Wrestling with that big ole steering wheel... driving.gif
914forme
Ran great when pulled. Has the normal leaks, comes with all the parts to fix them. Including the rear metal piece instead of the plastic version. Hate them things.
Chris H.
idea.gif yeah maybe we should revisit this! I will PM you in the next few days. Currently unpacking all our cars...kid just came home from college. I have no idea how she fit all this stuff in a 10X14 room.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 3 2018, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ May 3 2018, 05:50 PM) *

Oh I remember Steve...any idea how the internals are? Great engine but I would not want to rebuild one. Most of the time they are good for 200k or so. I have a spare intake manifold and most of the accessories to make it complete. I hear ya on the LS...it's really one of the best swaps for a 914.

Doc I bet 100 in a bay window is pretty intense. Wrestling with that big ole steering wheel... driving.gif

It was terrifying. Its lifted which only caused it to wander more with any slight gust.
KELTY360

Doncha just hate it when you look down at the speedo and you’re doing almost 90 without realizing it? Happened frequently going thru Montana with their 80 mph speed limit. Smoooooth. I know there are reasons for keeping a waterboxer, but they escape me at the moment. driving.gif
Chris H.
It does creep up on you doesn't it? I picked up a Stage 1 ecutune chip last week for my 914 and MAN does it make a difference.

I'm on the hunt for an EG33 or EZ30. Steve has some big HP Plans so he should hang on to that spare motor for now. I'll find one soon I'm sure.
flmont
Is that stage 1 from subiechips.com by chance,..??
Chris H.
Yes it is. Car was running great before...it's amazing now.
flmont
Sweet,..is that with the Z32 and larger Injectors,.or just the chip ....Thanks Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.