Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hard to go back to FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clark2
I bought my first 914 a few weeks ago and I just want to get it running by summer. I was looking into a rebuilding the engine, but then saw some of these 1.7 engines for sale cheap. One still had all the FI attached and said it was bolt in ready for a few hundred. It seems like it would be a nightmare to try and wire that back up. Any advice. I assume it would we way easier to just rip that FI off and get my carbs rebuilt.
Rhodes71/914
If you buy a used or rebuilt engine and it has the ALL the FI stuff then everything you need should be included. The brain, MPS, all sensors should be included just make sure befor you buy. You will get better gas milage and won't have to tune your carbs.
Mueller
the stock FI is pretty easy to learn and understand....tons of support for it since so many people still use it....

clark2
I have carbs now, even if I get a replacement engine with the brain and all that – how hard will it be to wire that brain back into the car. I assume it just plugs in but not sure if I have the opposite end still in my engine compartment.
Mueller
QUOTE (clark2 @ Feb 7 2005, 08:40 PM)
I have carbs now, even if I get a replacement engine with the brain and all that – how hard will it be to wire that brain back into the car. I assume it just plugs in but not sure if I have the opposite end still in my engine compartment.

as long as you have the correct engine wiring harness and the brain, it all bolts right up...the brain just sits right near the battery....

in fact with just minor wiring, one could run the engine out of the car as long as everything for the motor is there....it really is that simple..
mattillac
pretty much all of the teeners shipped to the US had FI originally. right? if you get a donor of the same year/cc, then it should all bolt/plug right in. unless the PO cut out some of the wiring harness!! sawzall-smiley.gif
sean_v8_914
the FI harness plugs into the relay board. any year eng harness should plug into any year relay bd. Im about 98% sure. I ran a 1970 1.7 D-jet in my 74 car after I killed teh 1.8 L-jet that came factory in teh car. then I ran teh 1.8 L-jet system on my 1.7 eng in my 1972 car

the real question that you need to ask is: Is it a STOCK cam? FI systems do not like carb cams although a WEB 73 will work with D-jet
Brett W
I have a complete 2.0 Djet unit with 2 computers that I really want out of my garage. I am pretty sure it is complete. I would have to open the box and see what I pulled out of the car. But I think it has a good harness, (I will throw the chassis harness in as it is in my way). The PO was a EE so he rebuilt the harness. I would have to look and see what type of job he did. It was off a running car. I also have the fuel pump that goes with it. Had nice set of factory plastic fuel lines but I was tired of fighting to get them out of the center tunnel and just cut them in half when I skillfully removed the floor pan and center tunnel, with a sawzall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.