Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Question for the engine gurus...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
Hello,

A quick question for the experts. I want to rebuild my engine and cost IS a factor. I am not looking for more power, just a fresh rebuild I can do myself. I have a 1.8 stock with FI. I cannot seem to find any good deals on 93mm Piston sets (Cheapest is $500). But I can find tons of good deals on 94mm sets ($230 for Mahle).

Can I get the 94mm and just slide it in and use it on my stock 1.8 block?

Thanks in advance,
skline
I am not an expert on it but I will throw my 2 cents in, I would go with the 94s and then just adjust the FI to compensate for the difference in displacement. I cant see where it would make a huge difference but I could be wrong.

Make sure the piston will work with a 66mm stroke however or you could run into problems. The barrels will slide right into your case. What you could do, is find a 2 liter crank and rods and swap that out too. I just dont know if the FI will work with such a displacement change. Someone here should know.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Rockaria @ Feb 8 2005, 10:31 AM)
...I am not looking for more power, just a fresh rebuild I can do myself....

then what problem *are* you trying to fix ?
Aaron Cox
not a huge differerence in displacement

66 x 94 = 1.832L
66 x 93 = 1.795L
Bleyseng
I would find a 2.0l crank and rod set and get 96mm p&c's if you are going to the trouble of rebuilding. The AA 96mm's from Jake are around $300, rods cost the same to rebuild and you are going to have to balance everything so go with the bigger stuff and get some hp. The 1.8 heads will need to be rebuilt too so go to the 42x36 valves plus a Jake cam.
or just get on of his engine kits as its all done just install it!If I had never rebuilt and engine this is the way to go.
Geoff
Rockaria
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 8 2005, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (Rockaria @ Feb 8 2005, 10:31 AM)
...I am not looking for more power, just a fresh rebuild I can do myself....

then what problem *are* you trying to fix ?

No problem... I just like the idea of new rings, pins clips and parts over using old unkown parts...
Rhodes71/914
Well here you are at the while your in there point of this discussion. If you don't have any significant engine issues put in some new rings, clips, and clean the heads. Less than $200 compared to over $1000 if you start buying new stuff.

Just went through this myself. Of course I had plenty of other things to spend $ on. laugh.gif
Bleyseng
How many miles on the motor???
Rockaria
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 8 2005, 10:57 AM)
How many miles on the motor???

You see, here's the thing... I have no clue how many miles or any history on the motor! Thus my desire to get new parts.

As I took it apart it looked like it was never taken apart before. The cam had bad indentations in the lobs, and the rings just crumbled when I took them off. The lifters had a noticable concave to every one. And a few exahst valves were 2mm longer than spec. A couple of the piston clips also broke. Though the rods and crank look very good and pass all checks.

confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The readily available 94 mm pistons won't work with your crank and rods, thereby ending THAT part of the discussion. The Cap'n
Rockaria
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 8 2005, 11:16 AM)
The readily available 94 mm pistons won't work with your crank and rods, thereby ending THAT part of the discussion. The Cap'n

That is what I was looking for. But exactly what about them is the problem?
Bleyseng
You have 1.8 rods which uses a 93mm pistons witha certain wrist pin location. 94mm pistons are set up for using the 2.0l rods which are a different length and use a different wrist pin set up.
If the parts are like what you say - get a Jake kit. All the parts are new or reconditioned.
Doing the rebuild right is why it costs so much these days. Forget going cheap or it will not last.

Geoff
Rockaria
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 8 2005, 11:28 AM)
You have 1.8 rods which uses a 93mm pistons witha certain wrist pin location. 94mm pistons are set up for using the 2.0l rods which are a different length and use a different wrist pin set up.
If the parts are like what you say - get a Jake kit. All the parts are new or reconditioned.
Doing the rebuild right is why it costs so much these days. Forget going cheap or it will not last.

Geoff

Thanks,

That's exactly the information I needed.
eeyore
But! You can get 96mm P/C s. 1911cc
Rockaria
UPDATE:

Maybe I should have gone to Jakes site first. HE has the 1.8 set for $229 Dohhh.... headbang.gif

He also has the 96 for the 1.8 crank for a little over 100 bucks more. Now I am in trouble. Hmmm, Tax refund = New engine. Maybe the wife will understand? Maybe I will just get used to living in the colman trailer for a while?
Bleyseng
Yes, they are set up to use the 1.8l length! not the same as the 2.0l rod length.
Rockaria
Does anyone else get wood while looking at the parts and prices at Jakes site. Or should I seek counseling?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rockaria @ Feb 8 2005, 10:43 AM)
UPDATE:

Maybe I should have gone to Jakes site first. HE has the 1.8 set for $229 Dohhh.... headbang.gif

He also has the 96 for the 1.8 crank for a little over 100 bucks more. Now I am in trouble. Hmmm, Tax refund = New engine. Maybe the wife will understand? Maybe I will just get used to living in the colman trailer for a while?

build a 1911 (66X96) and throw some 2.0 heads on it for a reall rever wink.gif
Jake Raby
The 1911 kit is on sale for one more day too!

its just a few bucks more for a 914 version over the VW version.

Take advantage of these good prices for the first month, after that some prices will creep up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.