Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
I need/want to replace the side mirrors on Papa Smurf. I think they are Vitaloni ?? I want to get something more aerodynamic - these are like big air brakes hanging off the sides of the car. Just wonder what everyone is using?

Thanks
campbellcj
Just a factory left one for me. I think it looks best, although rarely use it as I've got one of those panoramic Longacre ones inside.
ChrisFoley
This is what I use.
Nothing hanging out in the wind.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
I use one like in the picture below. Racer Parts Wholesale and Pegasus sells mirrors like this. They come in a few shapes and sizes, and they come with straight and bent posts depending on how you want to mount it.

Click to view attachment

I've also done one like Chris posted, inside the cockpit. I did that only on the passenger side though. For that I used a cheapo convex mirror I got at an auto parts store and made a mount for it. Looks similar to what Chris shows in the picture.
dlkawashima
Maybe something like this one mounted on the Ariel Atom? I think it's a motorcycle mirror by Magazi.
IPB Image

Bullet mirrors are classic and I'd think pretty aerodynamic. You can get a long base plate to cover up the holes left by the Vitaloni. I'm not sure but you might need to shim it to angle it out away from the side window.
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProduct...teIndexID=37027
naro914
HA! Chris I just saw your signature... you used what I called you in a post! "Mr. Fabricate-everything-that-makes-914's-better" Nice!! beerchug.gif

BTW and OT (it IS my thread), got everything installed. Haven't driven it yet, but the guys at the shop did around the block and said it shifts great! Can't wait to try it out!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 25 2015, 03:45 PM) *

HA! Chris I just saw your signature... you used what I called you in a post! "Mr. Fabricate-everything-that-makes-914's-better" Nice!! beerchug.gif

BTW and OT (it IS my thread), got everything installed. Haven't driven it yet, but the guys at the shop did around the block and said it shifts great! Can't wait to try it out!

I liked it too much to not use it.
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

I got a second order for custom 915 conversion linkage parts this week. This time for a WEVO.
That gave me the impetus to do more development.

My machinist is already making steel spacer sleeves so the standard sideshift bushing will fit in that forward support bracket.
Soon we'll have precision adjusters available for 915 conversions and tailshift 914 transmissions.
Mugs914
Hi Bob!

I'm using the small formula car version of the carbon jobs in Scott's post. I use the ones with convex lenses. They are pretty small, but get the job done.

One thing I'm looking into is using one of the aftermarket rear view camera systems that are made for RVs. They generally have a 120 degree view camera that can be mounted on the rear (In the trunk lock hole, perhaps?). No more looking through the roll cage tubes! Putting it up on a wing mount might give a nice panoramic view...

The ones I've seen can be had for any where from about $100 up, including a 7" monitor. Considering some of these mirrors are already approaching a hunnert bucks a pop, it starts looking pretty economical.

If I ever get around to actually trying it, I'll be sure to post results....

Mike
ThePaintedMan
Mike,
I've thought about that as well since screens are getting cheaper all the time and the technology continues to improve. The only downfall is when the sun is at your back and they get very hard to see. I also think that most organizations still require an actual mirror to be on the car, if nothing else as a backup.

What I really can't wait for is when we can get our hands on THIS technology!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf0hSVL6y9A
campbellcj
I agree re. the cameras. I just put one in my truck and it is very cool for backing-up and connecting the trailer, but I definitely prefer standard optical mirrors for general use while driving.
Mugs914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 26 2015, 06:40 PM) *

Mike,
I've thought about that as well since screens are getting cheaper all the time and the technology continues to improve. The only downfall is when the sun is at your back and they get very hard to see. I also think that most organizations still require an actual mirror to be on the car, if nothing else as a backup.

Yeah, you would need to have conventional mirrors somewhere to keep the scruts happy.

A lot of the back up cam systems talk about being visible in bright sunlight. I'm sure the monitor could be shaded enough to keep it from glare, the question would be the camera's performance when it is pointed into the sunlight. It seems to me that they are much better than they used to be in that regard, but as always, testing is the only way to know for sure!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.