Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving oil cooler up front?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I've got an external oil cooler but it's mounted under the rear trunk. I'm thinking of moving it up under the front trunk. How far forward can you move this? I'm assuming that I'm cool to route the pipes under the rockers. But I'm usually wrong with this type of thing. Maybe put it just inside the bumper on the inside, and fabricate some sort of box for it so it's not interfering with the carpet or anything...I don't know.

Am I going to gain anything by this, or is it even worth the effort?

Ideas?
vortrex
you don't need it on a stock motor.
CptTripps
Stock meaning stock? Mine hasn't been boared out or anything, but it has upgraded springs/cams and carbs.

thanks for the input...
Rough_Rider
For utmost efficiency mounting a cooler at the forefront of the car is the way to go. Hoses can be routed anyway you like & many folks will give differeng opinions. IMO always think safety so mount lines somewhere they won't hurt occupants in an accident. Use a thermostat so your not impeding oil warm up.

But before you go there if your not seeing hot oil temps then is there any need?

Downsides is you've got more oil in system. Hard to flush from lines & cooler. Extra weight. More complexity to oil system. Cooler itself could be damaged by road debris.
CptTripps
Yeah, I think I'll leave it the way it is. It was more of a 'if I'm taking it all apart anyway...' type thing.

Thanks for the input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.