Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement bolts for rear shock to trailing arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I bought these tie downs:

IPB Image

But the stock bolts seem to be a little short to stick the tie down between the shock & trailing arm while retaining the thick washer under the stock bolt head.

The stock bolt is 18mm X 1.5 X 130mm.
The tie down is 5mm.
Bolts that large typically come in 10mm increments, so I would need 18mm X 1.5 X 140mm.

I have found them but for $25 ea plus shipping.

Anyone have a source for the bolts cheaper or a trick to installing these with the stock bolts?

Are the bolts that have the attachment points for the rear swaybars just a tiny bit longer?
zambezi
Could you use the tie down to replace the washer? You would then be about the same spacing
Harpo
I will check at work tomorrow and let you know what I find

David
Mikey914
You would be creating more of a lever to possibly bend the bolt. Personally I'd keep it where you have it, and get a longer bolt. I may be able to get you better pricing. I'll check in the morning, sounds like its possible. What is the grade?
Harpo
I pulled two M18-1.5x135mm class 10.9 bolts out of the stockroom. I will go pick them up tomorrow. PM me your address and they are yours for free.

David
stugray
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 2 2015, 03:18 PM) *

I pulled two M18-1.5x135mm class 10.9 bolts out of the stockroom. I will go pick them up tomorrow. PM me your address and they are yours for free.

David

Holy Crap!
Thanks a LOT! I was just looking for a cheaper source. That is infinitely cheaper!

I have a lot of parts I am trying to get rid of.
If you need a part and I have it, it's yours! Let me know.

PM sent
siverson
That is very nice of you, but I'm actually still curious - where can these be bought?

This is as close as I could find:

http://www.marshallshardware.com/products/...=9275&lid=1

McMaster, etc doesn't seem to have this 135mm, 1.5 pitch.

-Steve
Harpo
The first set of bolts were not quite what was need but with a little persistence I found something better. These areM18-1.5x150 (little long)
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
I've been using the stock swaybar bolts with those tie-downs for years. No probs.
stugray
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 6 2015, 09:57 PM) *

I've been using the stock swaybar bolts with those tie-downs for years. No probs.

Thanks.
That why I asked if the swaybar bolts were just a little longer than 130mm.

Or maybe my shocks are just a little wider than normal? confused24.gif
I know I could have left out the thick washer and it would work, but it looks like the head of the stock bolt would dig into the shock mating surface if I did that.

Any way, it looks like Harpo has me covered.
Thanks Harpo!
Bartlett 914
I use these guys sometimes.
Metric & multi standard components

I saw a price of 6.30 per screw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.