Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor shaft wear question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
On my 73 2.0 I have been having issues with dwell fluctuations.i can pull up on shaft that rotor sits on and it moves up and down at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.im assuming this is not right and is leading to fluctuations with hard starting .im constantly having to reset pts with dwell meter.

So what can I do ,I have 34 dual carbs and if I replace distributor what do I get.?
Mark Henry
Carbs must be off a bus unless it is a euro 914.
Since you need a vac signal I'll suggest a 1.8 L-jet dizzy.
BeatNavy
Have you put any distributor grease on the shaft where the dwell block makes contact? I had the same problem with a "wandering dwell" and the Cap'n informed me the block can wear extra quickly if not lubed properly. Solved my problem.
screenguy914
Sounds like there's too much vertical play in the distributor shaft. Remove the distributor and inspect. If the cam lobe is okay, add'l thrust washers can be installed to decrease the slop. Otherwise, shop for a replacement in good condition. They should be plentiful, yes?

Sherwood
914Mels
If you dig out the felt pad that sits under the rotor you will probably find a loose round wire clip that has popped out of its groove. This clip holds the top of the distributor shaft in place. The felt pad should be oiled with a couple drops of engine oil every tune up to keep the mechanical advance working. If you have never lubed this over the years, the shaft will bind up and you lose most of the timing advance. Don't over do it though as the trigger points live below and don't like oil. Checking the shaft is easy, grab the rotor and twist back and forth, you should feel the rotor move and spring back on it's own. If it moves but sticks in place you need to take apart the distributor and clean out the rust on the bushings.
rosenfe
thanks ,ill check that
veekry9
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/AA-mec...tail/story.html

Whodathunkit?Genius. biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Mar 2 2015, 03:41 PM) *

"Amazingly, it started instantly, so I followed the member to the garage and he said the vehicle had never driven so well."

Well there's your problem. Your car needs more fruits and vegetables blink.gif
veekry9
A spud in the tailpipe was an adolescent prank,a banana in the rear end to quiet worn gears was an oldtimers fixit.Model A.
Papier-mâché for body repairs is a primitive composite,still economical today in a pinch.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papier-m%C3%A2ch%C3%A9
And of course the eggwhite in the rad to seal a hole actually works,oldschool hillbilly style.
veekry9
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Mar 1 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Sounds like there's too much vertical play in the distributor shaft. Remove the distributor and inspect. If the cam lobe is okay, add'l thrust washers can be installed to decrease the slop. Otherwise, shop for a replacement in good condition. They should be plentiful, yes?

Sherwood

agree.gif
Shim.Check for worn bushings,replace or re-bush with oil-lite bronze to minimum clearance and install a pointless cd ignition for a fatter spark.
A Vertex magneto is optional too,tho pricey.

From the Samba biggrin.gif (earthquake)
OK guys
just don't do what a friend of mine did, He won a magneto at a sand drag giveaway. On the way home driving he reached in the back seat and grabbed the mag and was looking at it, he was holding it between his legs when he gave the gear a turn. He said he pulled over to the side of the road and just sat there for about 15 minuets untill he could feel his balls again, said it was the worst thing he ever did and he got his cought in a radial arm saw once.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.