Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for body restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944

My 914 is running good and stopping fine, thanks to Rick Berry at eurotech knoxville, Eric and PMB's great calipers, and my labor with your help and advice. Now it's time to work on the body. My car was purchased from a lister and needed body work which I knew about (but LL is never buy a car you don't see in person). Hit in the drivers front which ruined the fender and hood. Took the car to a trusted body shop that only does insurance work and no longer restoration. But they did give me an honest appraisal for the work, which was about $4k - $6k for labor and another $3- $4k for parts, assuming they can find them. After the necessary mechanical upgrades, I'm into this car for probably more than it's worth, even though our cars are appreciating so this puts me into crazy territory (which my wife thinks I've already crossed into). Enough whining.

What does everyone recommend for body restoration? I do not want to put another $10k into bodywork. I have always loved the flared fenders and fiberglass ones seem reasonable. If I do that, then you need to add the 911 suspension and of course the wheels (or 944, etc.), correct? What is everyone's experience with the fiberglass and what vendor is recommended? Are there other options? Appreciate everyone's advice as always. Sorry for the long post. Rick

scotty b
Not trying to be a dick, just honest. You build a car for one of 2 reasons.

1: sentimental - you'll be under water
2: financial - you'll have a half assed car

pick one or the other. The only way you can build a nice 914 and not be underwater is to start with a clean 6, or a steal of a deal 4
poorsche914
Another option you may not have considered, Rick, is to find a decent tub and move all your "good stuff" to it.

driving.gif
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

let's see it!

How's the hell hole and pans? Need more info about the rest of the car. That shop may have tossed out numbers because they didn't want to do the work. Biggest issue is the chassis.

BUT: to qualify, you can have quality or cheap but you can't have cheap quality. That said, you may just need to do some of the grunt work yourself to cut costs.
mbseto
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 2 2015, 07:34 PM) *

3: to race
4: like to wrench on cars
OU8AVW
QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 3 2015, 06:31 AM) *

3: to race
4: like to wrench on cars

5: get pussy

Bunch o' queers forgot that one poke.gif

I built my car on the cheap.... IE, I did a ton of the work myself. Body work is expensive.
mrholland2
If it takes a CAR to get LAID, you are doing it wrong aktion035.gif
JmuRiz
...and/or you don't want the kind of girl a car attracts.
stevegm

pick one or the other. The only way you can build a nice 914 and not be underwater is to start with a clean 6, or a steal of a deal 4

I concur. To be right side up and restore it right, you have to get a deal up front (you make money when you buy; not when you sell). To keep the costs down do a lot of the labor yourself. In the end, however, if you keep the car a while you will be upside down. It can't just be about the money. You gotta love it. There are easier ways to make money.
MDG

agree.gif 100%

It all depends what you want to end up with. And how deep your pockets are.
Cairo94507
A given is we have not seen the car, but I suspect the shop which provided the estimate gave you one to make sure you took it elsewhere.

If it were me, and what do I know, I would get it to one of the 914 metal working geniuses on this site and let them fix the body for you. Were have many of them, pick one that is close to you and then see what they want to repair the car correctly. The difference is they won't be learning how to repair a hell hole or long, they will have done it many times and know exactly what to do the first time and do it right.

I always knew my car was going to cost money to get it right. I was OK spending it once to have it correctly repaired and be done with it. I was not OK letting someone who really wanted to work on a 914 because he saw one once when he was 12 and thought they were cool learn on it. Just saying. Good luck and do not rush to a decision. Take your time and find someone who makes you comfortable and you trust.
stevegm
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 3 2015, 05:15 PM) *

A given is we have not seen the car, but I suspect the shop which provided the estimate gave you one to make sure you took it elsewhere.

If it were me, and what do I know, I would get it to one of the 914 metal working geniuses on this site and let them fix the body for you. Were have many of them, pick one that is close to you and then see what they want to repair the car correctly. The difference is they won't be learning how to repair a hell hole or long, they will have done it many times and know exactly what to do the first time and do it right.

I always knew my car was going to cost money to get it right. I was OK spending it once to have it correctly repaired and be done with it. I was not OK letting someone who really wanted to work on a 914 because he saw one once when he was 12 and thought they were cool learn on it. Just saying. Good luck and do not rush to a decision. Take your time and find someone who makes you comfortable and you trust.

agree.gif 100%

And as for recommendations - I'd suggest talking to Scotty B (does awesome work). And, IIRC, you are in the south east. So he isn't too far away.
brooks944
Thanks everyone for the advice (but not sure how this got into the chick magnet posts...). My reason for restoration is purely sentimental, wanted a 914 since they came out. And yes I'm that old. Photos attached, I hope.

Steve, do you know how to contact Scotty B and where he's located?

Thanks, Rick

stevegm
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Mar 3 2015, 05:59 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the advice (but not sure how this got into the chick magnet posts...). My reason for restoration is purely sentimental, wanted a 914 since they came out. And yes I'm that old. Photos attached, I hope.

Steve, do you know how to contact Scotty B and where he's located?

Thanks, Rick

I PM'd you with his website.
Cairo94507
I would of course absolutely recommend Scotty B at Kahiko Customs & Restoration in Charles City, VA .... after my car is done and in my garage av-943.gif I really want it back by August 1, 2015 (yes, this August) and if Scotty takes in more jobs, well, you know.
Larmo63
Actually, 914s DO attract women. But, they are usually middle aged "gals" who remember having one in college 35 years ago. That has been my experience.

Young women around here are attracted to brand new 911s.

Fuch that.
gopack
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 2 2015, 05:34 PM) *

agree.gif
I had about 25K into my car, and i wasn't doing any engine upgrades or swaps. I did do steel flares, 5 lug suspension, and minor rust repair, and some custom touches I wanted to make it mine. I never finished, but I figured about 6-8K more for full paint, and 1K for misc parts that I hadn't thought of yet. I wound up getting about $11K for it in primer, with all the tasty aftermarket parts when a loss of income forced me to sell.
I had the passion, but never expected it to be worth anywhere near what I had into it when it was done... expected 1/3 to 1/2 to be honest. I was frankly suprised i did as well as i did in the unfinished state of the car!

the blog of it all
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 3 2015, 04:46 PM) *

I concur. To be right side up and restore it right, you have to get a deal up front (you make money when you buy; not when you sell). To keep the costs down do a lot of the labor yourself. In the end, however, if you keep the car a while you will be upside down. It can't just be about the

Steve gets it.
poorsche914
Rick,

As far as rust, what condition are the hell hole, longs, floors, trunk, etc on that 914?

driving.gif
brooks944
Hell hole and longs look OK with what appears to be surface rust treated on the longs, but I am a novice with 914's. Floors and trunks also have some surface rust (front trunk only). Inside floors seem to have very little rust. There is an auxiliary oil cooler put in which to me looks like a poor job since it interferes where the car gets jacked.
poorsche914
Are you going to bring it to the Great Porsche Show Off later this month in Knoxville?

driving.gif
bigkensteele
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...23553_thumb.jpg

I can assure you there is more of this. I know that fender is being replaced, but I suspect that might have the same on the other side and under the sails.
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 4 2015, 11:16 PM) *

I would of course absolutely recommend Scotty B at Kahiko Customs & Restoration in Charles City, VA .... after my car is done and in my garage av-943.gif I really want it back by August 1, 2015 (yes, this August) and if Scotty takes in more jobs, well, you know.

Uh....the newbie is after Scott finishes my '72 911T smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

huh.gif unsure.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 5 2015, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

huh.gif unsure.gif

Sucks to be you, Scott.

Can you pencil me in for 2017? poke.gif
brooks944
I do have the same rust area on the other side fender at the same spot on the top. What does that indicate?
Cairo94507
I will go out on a limb here stirthepot.gif That it is a real 914....and they have on occasion been known to rust under just the right conditions slap.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Mar 6 2015, 05:16 PM) *

I do have the same rust area on the other side fender at the same spot on the top. What does that indicate?

Add more zeros to the check
altitude411
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Mar 6 2015, 03:16 PM) *

Symmetry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.