Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on "Salvaged" titles....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
I have a 1972 car that had some body damage before I acquired it - looks to be cosmetic. Nothing major. left front fender lite side damage, just behind driver door lite bups, right rear fender lite bumps.

But the previous owner accepted a "TOTAL" at the time by his insurance and took the cash to repair it.... a handful of years ago when the value of 914s was low.

I like the car, and plan to fix the lite body damage and get the car running. Once painted, the car should look just beautiful!

.... no plans to sell the car, but I always say that.

What is the general feeling regarding a salvaged title in this market?

ps - I don't have much in the car now. I traded another type of car that wasn't my cup-o-tea. Once I repair and paint, I might have $5K in it.

Interested in your thoughts while in this crazy market for 914s (for once).

popcorn[1].gif
BuddyV
Important: California car, no rust to speak of. Narrow body, 2.0 liter motor.
Jeffs9146
As long as you can document it from the cause of the "total" to the final restoration I would buy a salvaged car. But it will take a hit on the resale value. As long as you are not putting a bunch of money into it you won't be to bad off.
shoguneagle
Generally, I do not have a problem with a "salvaged" title. My present car has something similar to it as "a bonded title". My car is a California roller which did not have any title; took title via a California motorized Bill of Sale and had title issued in Arizona (only issues a Bonded title only). Problems with getting Oregon title as they do not recognize this type of title.

Salvaged title would have possible problems on resale in regards to other states which may not accept "salvaged titles". It seems this problem may be increasing in inter-state ownership (similar to what I have gone through with "bonded title".) Under present California law and exemptions the salvaged title probably is not a problem as long as it meets inspection and legal requirements.

As a potential buyer, I would look very seriously against the "salvage title" if I am buying it as a totally restored collectable car. If it was a car I was just going to drive as a daily driver and use it up, the salvage title would not bother me since I would be driving the life out of it and then selling the parts.

Hope this kind of explains the general problem for and/or against the "salvaged title".
Cuda911
One of my 914s has Salvage title.

Here's a thread on the car:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=grote+alas

It routinely gets comments that it is one of the cleanest 914s people have seen. I have full documentation as to why the salvage title, and what was done to repair it.

That said, many won't consider buying salvage title cars.

A shame that you can rebuild a rusted piece of crap around a VIN, using dubious methods and parts, and some may prefer that car to a clean one with salvage title.
Dave_Darling
Insuring the car can be a real problem as well.

I would have second thoughts about buying a salvage title 914--it would have to be a real bargain for me to actually jump on it. And I'd have to do some research into insurance before I did. It'd suck to have a nice 914 that some uninsured motorist clobbers, and being told "Gee that's too bad" by the insurance company...

--DD
snakemain
My first 914 had a "non-highway vehicle" title when I bought it in Kansas 12 years ago. Moved to Alabama and they re-titled it with a regular title. Oklahoma had no issues with re-titling that, and Illinois didn't with mind that one either.
JRust
They definitely take a hit value wise. I had similar with a Creamsicle I restored. Absolutely nothing wrong with the car. Had damage to one front fender. Wasn't even bad but value was down then & the people didn't realize it. I'd say you will take a good 30% hit on the value at least. Having said that I'd buy a salvaged title car I know was fixed properly for that same reason. You can get a nicer car for less that way. That is only on a car I know exactly what happened & how it was fixed. A 914 is pretty easy to see where damage has occurred.

If you were restoring with the thought of selling I would reconsider. Fixing to drive Rock on aktion035.gif
BuddyV
Thank you all....

The car was owned by a fellow member in good standing, and he provided pics of the car before/after the damage.

Also, I will be documenting the repairs since none were made after the damages....

I really do like the car...... and the hit on resale may actually keep me from letting it go like to tend to do piratenanner.gif

Saving one, I guess.

Thanks, again.
toolguy
A salvage title will always have a stigma attached to it. Resale will
always be difficult and value diminished. . Insurance company will never
pay full value for any future damage, and could easily cash you out at a low price rather than pay for repair in case of a future accident. .
Given all the negativity associated I'd never want to invest in a 'salvage' car the same as a clean title car.
A 30% deduction in value is generous. . more likely a 50% loss is realistic. . .

No matter what you do to it, or nice you make it, It will always be
a salvage title car. .
Just being realistic. . which, as 914 owners, we often are not.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Mar 2 2015, 04:54 PM) *

As a potential buyer, I would look very seriously against the "salvage title" if I am buying it as a totally restored collectable car. If it was a car I was just going to drive as a daily driver and use it up, the salvage title would not bother me since I would be driving the life out of it and then selling the parts.

agree.gif
euro911
One of my brothers gave me his '62 VW Bug when he came back to CA after his military service at Ft. Rucker AL. At the time (early 70's) Alabama was a non-title state, so the car only had a bill of sale, even though it came out of a junkyard. I took the car and the BOS to the CA DMV and they created all new paperwork on the vehicle.

Check to see if you can register it in a non-title state (and loose the salvage title), then go through the DMV process in your home state to obtain a new clear title happy11.gif
VaccaRabite
Personally, I would not buy a salvage title car unless I was planning to turn it into a racer or some other off the roads vehicle.

Everythign is eventually for sale, and a slavage title means the next buyer is going to buy for a lot less then arket value.
Zach
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 2 2015, 10:31 PM) *
Check to see if you can register it in a non-title state (and loose the salvage title), then go through the DMV process in your home state to obtain a new clear title happy11.gif

This process is known as "washing the title". Some places have cracked down significantly on it, so it may be harder than it was back then. It is mostly done by unethical people who buy a salvage car really cheap, fix it up on the cheap and make it look decent, then sell it on as non-salvaged, often with significant underlying problems. Lots of flood cars out there, for instance.

I understand that isn't what we're talking about in the OP's case, but that is why it is probably much more difficult to do now than it was back when you got that Bug.

--DD
yellowporky
I am in California and had a 1987 Mercedes 300d turbo get totaled a year ago and I bought it back and fixed it. Then almost to the day I got hit in the rear again and it was once again salvaged and I was worried about the insurance not paying good money for the car but it was explained to me by the Farmers adjuster that the insurance company does not deduct for a previously salvaged tittle since the theory is that the car was put back to original condition before returning to the road.
This is just my experience. Certainly does not help on resale having a salvage tittle.
Bulldog9
Bought & sold many a car over the years, salvage title is always to the buyers advantage, regardless of condition or repair/state. If considering long term appreciation and value, better to steer away. If for driving enjoyment and value, is a great way to go.
BuddyV
Great thoughts - thank you all.

The car deserves to be on the road again... and I have a spare 2.0 motor to drop into it.

But based on comments, I will proceed with caution and with low priority. I might even try my hand at learning lite bodywork skills..... can't hurt, and there's no rush.

beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 3 2015, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 2 2015, 10:31 PM) *

This process is known as "washing the title". Some places have cracked down significantly on it, so it may be harder than it was back then. It is mostly done by unethical people who buy a salvage car really cheap, fix it up on the cheap and make it look decent, then sell it on as non-salvaged, often with significant underlying problems. Lots of flood cars out there, for instance.

I understand that isn't what we're talking about in the OP's case, but that is why it is probably much more difficult to do now than it was back when you got that Bug.

--DD

Virginia & West Va. do not issue salvage titles so it's very easy to "wash" titles here. I found this out when I moved from Md. & registered my salvaged motorcycle here. I rebuilt my bike myself but had to endure the salvage label while I lived in Md., however now the title is as clean as the bike is smile.gif
euro911
We've all seen some really bad cars that are rotted to high heaven, yet have clean titles confused24.gif

Some of us on this forum (those with outstanding reconstruction skills) have taken some really bad specimens and brought them back from the dead, when most of the time they would have been sent to the shredder.

I would hope none of us here would take an unsafe/wrecked vehicle and 'wash the title' for nefarious reasons, but sometimes a perfectly good vehicle can get labeled as salvaged merely because the 'cost of repairs' exceeded the insurance company's repair threshold.

The reasons could include a blown motor, or a stolen vehicle that was stripped before it was recovered.

Larmo63
I have officially had a 914 for one year and a day today.

When I bought Speedy, I thought he may not make it, so I went up to look at the red '73 2.0 Bill had for sale in Thousand Oaks. It was the first 914 I had ever driven, and it drove very well, (Speedy wasn't running yet,) but it had a salvage title. It was a very nice car that I think went to a Texas buyer and he got a great car. The story was that it was totaled by an insurance company in the 90's because of a small front side fender accident. The owner bought it back and had it repaired perfectly. I still kind of pine for that car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.