Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /4 Rustoration Valuation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
I was going to set a poll, but I thought more feedback is important.

With the cost of entry level 14's ballooning at what point do you reconsider your parts car a viable commodity?

I pulled the plastic sheeting off of my 73 2 ltr in 98 sepia brown parts car and decided to start to pull her apart for final evaluation.

I had picked her up a few years ago and she had been sitting under cover for the last few years. I new she had hell hole issues and rear trunk lower and upper panels had holes. the front trunk looked to have hit a few speed bumps from underneath and had some surface rust.

I pulled the interior and sound pads, both front and back on the fire wall to find upper and middle holes in the fire wall.

a quick look and RRD and new metal is well over a 1K and I'm sure there is more rust to be found, small spots on the cowl etc..

now economically I have all of $200 invested in here right now, so even with the cost of the metal it doesn't put the cost to have a rust free 73 numbers matching 2ltr anywhere close to what I see selling these days. this is assuming I do the metal work.

I know I'm torn as I hate seeing these cars cut up,but to bring this one back it is going to be a labor of love and self hate. or do I pull all of those S happy11.gif parts off and trim what good parts she has off and send them to help others.

When do you call it quits?

And I know this thread is useless without Pics. but its dark now, maybe tomorrow.
screenguy914
If your heart isn't in it, sell it as is.

If you want a ROI, part it out, but consider the time that will even take - to remove, identify, photograph, inventory, store, then eventually ship.

Your space requirements will grow as you remove parts from the vehicle.

MHO,
Sherwood
G e o r g e
this wasn't meant just about my situation, but I never bought my first 914 with ROI on the mind. I still don't.

I originally bought her for all of her parts, not to flip but to use or hoard as the case may be lol-2.gif

In the back of my mind I always wanted to keep her and bring her back, but She has more issues than I thought. that is what i am weighing.

mepstein
You could easily have $5-10k in rust repair and bodywork and then another $4-8k in paint. Chances are you would find much more metal work needed once you start stripping paint off all the usual suspects. Even with today's prices, it's very hard to stay above water on a restoration. I'm not saying you shouldn't fix it but adding up the cost of parts and thinking that + 15% isn't going to get the job done.
SirAndy
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Mar 2 2015, 07:05 PM) *
I pulled the plastic sheeting off of my 73 2 ltr in 98 sepia brown parts car and decided to start to pull her apart for final evaluation.

That paint code will add to the value of the (parts?) car if you decide to restore it.
Post some pics so we can see what you're dealing with.

They don't make them anymore ...
shades.gif
Cairo94507
That would be a desirable car indeed.

My first 914 was a '73 2.0 appearance group in Sepia Brown. I loved that car. It was bought from Ely Porsche (long since out of business) in Hayward brand new by me.

After I sold it it got smacked in the rear pretty good but was fixed and back on the road about 3 months later. I lost track of it after that.

I would hate to see one of these parted out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.