Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what would cause this electrical phenomenon?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
O.k. so this crazy car would not start tonight. It cranks, but won't fire. Fuel pressure is good, gas is flowing but no spark. This has happened before but not for several months. Could these 2 things be related?
What would cause the right side signal to come on at all if the ignition is off position? Left one does nothing. With ignition in 1st on position both work and flash.
- car not running starting is a phenomenon that last happened about 2 month ago. Weather changed drastically last few days with high humidity. Had been cold and dry and it had been running perfect. Ran last week .
it hast to be some kind of electrical Short that is intermittant. Where to look first!
Btw the fuse and relay board under dash is a new one put in last year. Egman variety I believe.
could it be the ignition switch?
JRust
Pretty sure that is stock. Tells you your signal is on & drawing power. I've seen it before anyway confused24.gif . Maybe I just made that up first to try to sound like I know what I am talking about idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 2 2015, 07:33 PM) *
What would cause the right side signal to come on at all if the ignition is off position?

Both sides are supposed to do that. European parking lights, all European cars of that area have this.

With the ignition off, putting the turn signal lever in the left or right position will turn on the parking light option on that side of the car.
smile.gif

PS: If accidentally left like this for more than a few hours, it *can* drain your battery ...
balljoint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 2 2015, 10:47 PM) *

What would cause the right side signal to come on at all if the ignition is off position?

Both sides are supposed to do that. European parking lights, all European cars of that area have this.

With the ignition off, putting the turn signal lever in the left or right position will turn on the parking light option on that side of the car.
smile.gif

PS: If accidentally left like this for more than a few hours, it *can* drain your battery ...

agree.gif

its supposed to do that

my car doesn't move for days at a time in the middle of the summer

pretty easy to drain a battery with an errant elbow
Markl
I had a similar problem. I got lucky and heard a very faint pop in the column cover, turned out to be a short in the windshield wiper switch. I have no idea why, and I've never felt like trying to figure it out, but a new switch solved the problem.

Also, my Engmann (I think) fuse box was assembled in such a way that some of the connections could wiggle and make intermittent contact. This was very frustrating to troublehoot in the car - once I took it out and dissasembled it, I could see and solder the weak connections. As I remember, the issues began after a cold snap.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 2 2015, 10:47 PM) *

smile.gif

- so I can't believe I never noticed this. 6 years and I never noticed it.

But it does this on the right side but not the left side. What does that tell you?
balljoint
That you're not supposed to park facing the wrong way on the street.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 2 2015, 07:55 PM) *
What does that tell you?

Something isn't working right ... biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 2 2015, 10:58 PM) *

What does that tell you?

I'll have to look at which circuit that is but I wonder if it's at the fuse box or in the column and it either place could be causing the non start issue and the signal issue
rgalla9146
That is a European safety feature.
When parking briefly on narrow streets at night you could illuminate the traffic side of your car. Either left or right side.
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 2 2015, 10:38 PM) *

That is a European safety feature.
When parking briefly on narrow streets at night you could illuminate the traffic side of your car. Either left or right side.

agree.gif
mine does it both sides (ask my neighbor who gave me a heads up one night)
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 2 2015, 08:58 PM) *

What does that tell you?

Something isn't working left... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Run a hot lead from the battery to the positive on the coil. Start? Ignition switch.
TheCabinetmaker
Jeez, it only took 6 years for you to notice that? Time to put the pot away! cool.gif smoke.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 3 2015, 08:18 AM) *

Jeez, it only took 6 years for you to notice that? Time to put the pot away! cool.gif smoke.gif

slap.gif i know, right? well i just dont remember ever switching on the signal when the car was off and ignition not turned, i mean why would i? the only reason i noticed this is because i had accidently bumped the signal lever getting out of the car and noticed that the right side was on - so then i checked to see if that would do the same on the left and it did not.
so now i am wondering if i have it all connected to the fuse box correctly( i did that conversion last year) - either way it sounds like it s not related to my non-start issue.
BTW - that suff is for medical use! smoke.gif only shades.gif
(actually i work for the fed. govt so i cant touch tat stuff- wacko.gif )
worn

O.k. so this crazy car would not start tonight. It cranks, but won't fire. Fuel pressure is good, gas is flowing but no spark. This has happened before but not for several months. Could these 2 things be related?
What would cause the right side signal to come on at all if the ignition is off position? Left one does nothing. With ignition in 1st on position both work and flash.
- car not running starting is a phenomenon that last happened about 2 month ago. Weather changed drastically last few days with high humidity. Had been cold and dry and it had been running perfect. Ran last week .
it hast to be some kind of electrical Short that is intermittant. Where to look first!
Btw the fuse and relay board under dash is a new one put in last year. Egman variety I believe.
could it be the ignition switch?

They have it wired that way on purpose. The indicator stalk selects which side is lit up. You can actually predict this from the wiring diagram if you try hard enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.