Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct color for 5-bolt Mahles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I'm trying to figure out what is really the right color for my 5-bolt Mahles. And I'm assuming the center cap is supposed to match the wheels perfectly. Mine isn't close. Sort of looks like a clown car with a button nose or something.

I think my Mahle's *might* have the original paint on them and maybe they have just grayed/dulled. Which is too bad because the paint is otherwise almost perfect on them.

I recently sprayed some old polished center caps with this silver Wurth paint:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...?pn=WRTH-892181

And other photo I found of Mahle's where the center cap doesn't match (not my wheel):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ypes/mahle5.jpg

Any ideas? Just repaint it all in Wurth silver?

-Steve

siverson
Another of the button nose center caps:

siverson

tumamilhem
The center caps could have come in a few different variations with a few different colors such as white, typically black with a painted crest, all black, all silver, etc. I have seen all these on cars of that era. If you keep your wheels the grey silver, I think the black with painted crests would be a nice contrast.

Great looking car btw. smile.gif
Cairo94507
Those Mahles have gone bad and you should remove them immediately ohmy.gif . I would like to have them for my garage display and would be willing to give you a couple hundred each for them happy11.gif .

Seriously- I would not have those refinished. I would have the caps matched to the wheels. I love the Mahles and want a set for my car once it returns home so I can have a second set of wheels.

Love your car BTW.
GeorgeRud
Has anyone gotten any of the Mahle repops? I like the look, but would like to have some newer wheels for my car. It seems that the repops with Wurth silver paint would make for a nice street wheel.
914Sixer
It used to be that the manufacturers got together and used the same paint. I have new factory center caps and they are a different color than the factory Boxster wheels.
Cairo94507
I may consider the repops if they look authentic and they offer them in widths. I would like a set of 15x7's so they are the same size and offset as the Fuchs (deep sixes widened by Weidman 1" on the backside) going on my car. confused24.gif
JRust
I know Jeff Hines made some wide 4 lug mahles. Then not long after made a wide set of repop 5lug mahles. They looked great! Hopefully he'll get on & post something on them. Pics should be floating somewhere on here for them.

Sorry back to your post Steve. I too would not do anything to your mahles. They look great as they are. I'd paint the center caps as close to matching as you can. If you can't get it quite right. I'd just sell me the whole car. They would haunt you in your sleep that they weren't perfect. Sometimes it is just easier to pass that problem onto someone else unsure.gif
Jasfsmith
My Mahle spare (never been mounted) matches a new center cap that I have as a spare. I've painted a set of Perini's for my 914-4 with the Wurth silver and it matches dead on. I suspect that your wheel finish has aged a bit. My mounted Mahle's appear a bit off but not to the degree that yours are.

Very nice car. Import? or slightly customized? (no side markers/different directional light lenses)
KELTY360
QUOTE(siverson @ Mar 3 2015, 11:14 AM) *

Sort of looks like a clown car with a button nose or something.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...?pn=WRTH-892181

And other photo I found of Mahle's where the center cap doesn't match (not my wheel):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ypes/mahle5.jpg

Any ideas? Just repaint it all in Wurth silver?

-Steve

Just name the car Bozo and be done with it. laugh.gif

Seriously, you've done a tremendous job with that car. I especially like the color and the euro look.
siverson
> I too would not do anything to your mahles. They look great as they are.

Yeah, they don't look horrible, but the photos do make the wheel color look better than it really is.

> Import? or slightly customized? (no side markers/different directional light lenses)

It is a US car, and almost 100% original, but I can't stand the side warts so they were removed. Here is the build thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=217713

> Jasfsmith
> My Mahle spare (never been mounted) matches a new center cap that I have as a spare. I've painted a set of Perini's for my 914-4 with the Wurth silver and it matches dead on. I suspect that your wheel finish has aged a bit. My mounted Mahle's appear a bit off but not to the degree that yours are.

Thanks! That is very useful.

-Steve
bigkensteele
Were original center caps painted or anodized? I assumed anodized, but I have never owned a new set.

If it were me, I would either buy a new set of center caps and paint the wheels to match , or just pick a silver that I like and run with it.

I see COTM potential in this car. Great job!
siverson
painted
siverson
siverson
bigkensteele
Those look great!

Are you going to paint/powder the lugs too?
funk
I know they are magnesium and when polished and polished and polished magnesium becomes a gorgeous color unto itself? IMHO polish the heck out of them and enjoy their natural luster but even so I sincerely doubt the center caps to be magnesium?unless they are and then obviously no wonder why you couldn't find a paint color match. too bad really what a beautiful color?
siverson
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 20 2015, 07:23 PM) *

Those look great!

Are you going to paint/powder the lugs too?

i bought these on ebay and thought id give them a shot.

siverson
box

Johny Blackstain
Man I love gasburners- to me they scream Porsche louder than any other rim.
thumb3d.gif
JmuRiz
Good looking wheels, I'd love some on the 356.

Bolt caps remind me of my B5 audi's
siverson
> Bolt caps remind me of my B5 audi's

I think some 4s (and 6s?) may have had these installed by the dealer...

-Steve
dlkawashima
So did you go with the Wurth Silver or another brand/color?
siverson
> So did you go with the Wurth Silver or another brand/color?

I actually had the shop that painted the color paint the wheels (they had to respray the rear deck lid last week as well). So I just had them match the Wurth Silver spray can color.

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.