Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD 6AL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
any advice on the install.

thanks for your help, as always... wink.gif

KT
mightyohm
Just follow the instructions. It's pretty simple. With your tach you won't need a tach adapter.

I bought mine used off Craigslist. A good place to buy one new is Summit Racing (online).

Oh, and if you are handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter you can make your own RPM pills.
seanery
I saw an MSD7 on an engine sold at Barrett-Jackson last month.
Does anyone know the difference between the two?
scotty b
I would also like some input on the various ignition systems. I have only done resto work in the past and am now doing a slightly modified car for my dad and have been looking at the diff. systems. 1.7 btw
jim_hoyland
Doesn't the tach adapter have to be used on FI units ?
TC/914
Is there a place to download a copy of the instructions on line? I've had mine for a little too long and have lost the little instruction booklet. I think that I played with it/the distributor on the coffee table for a week or more when I first got it. Almost time to put it in the new car soon and all I know for sure is the distributor hook up.

Any help?

Thanks,
TC
Root_Werks
clap.gif Good choice Trekkor. I think you will like it mucho much! On a couple of really well tunned cars (914-6's) I had 6AL's on, you could actually hear a little crack (spark?) and VROOM! Rarely did you ever crank over on the engine. Always just fired off with a key bump. That was a sweet feeling and sound. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
BTW...best pricing on this stuff is Summit Racing.
Aaron Cox
i have the mallory equivalent....

i mounted mien on rubber isolators in the rear trunk on the engine firewall..... ill need a tach adapter though sad.gif
Trekkor
Got the MSD 6 AL today.
I'd love to see where you all have installed yours.
A call for pics, please.
The rear trunk sounds very simple and uncluttered..

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 21 2005, 04:47 PM)
Got the MSD 6 AL today.
I'd love to see where you all have installed yours.
A call for pics, please.
The rear trunk sounds very simple and uncluttered..

KT

yuppers...mins is in the rear trunk isolated on rubber on the firewall..... dill a hole and use grommets for the wiring.
Trekkor
Go take a pic! thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Heh...

KT
Jake Raby
Buy a Mallory Unilite and the Hyfire VI to go with it..

Much better product than the MSD..
xitspd
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 9 2005, 05:33 AM)
I saw an MSD7 on an engine sold at Barrett-Jackson last month.
Does anyone know the difference between the two?

The 6 series is for street and road race applications. The 7 series is used for drag racing. The 7 series has a lot of features relating to drag racing that are not incorporated into the 6 series. Great product!
rick 918-S
Here's mine, Never did get the tac to work though. But mine's a 72. Maybe that's the difference.
Aaron Cox
the tach issue blows! does anyones work with any 914/911 tach? i hear that the late model (black centers) can work...

30 bucks for a tach adpater...my butt crack! bs.gif flipa.gif
iamchappy
Ive been running them ever since they became available 20 years ago, I used a tach adapter with my t4 none needed with the 3.0. Hard to believe that other products are much better. The MSD works great.
porschewrench
If anybody still interested I have a brand new msd in the box , never been used. The old race car I had used msd , the new one is motec -was backup part for old car. Also uf you go to msd's websit they have all the install info plus other mods. (like hooking up to perxtronics etc.) Paul B.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 21 2005, 06:12 PM)
does anyones work with any 914/911 tach? i hear that the late model (black centers) can work...

Sure. It ain't rocket science....or even speelin'
Trekkor
Aaron, I really want that pic. confused24.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 21 2005, 09:56 PM)
Aaron, I really want that pic. confused24.gif

KT

hmmmm....i have no CAMERA..... its pouring rain here.... ill see what i can do....
Trekkor
its pouring rain here

Rain, schmain. lol2.gif

I do SIX conversions in the rain monkeydance.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 21 2005, 10:18 PM)
its pouring rain here

Rain, schmain. lol2.gif

I do SIX conversions in the rain monkeydance.gif

KT

bite me laugh.gif
Trekkor
ohmy.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
I, talked to the guys at North Hollywood Speedometer, at the Porsche swap meet several weeks ago, and I asked about the MSD 6A and the 914 tach, they said because of the multi spark, the tach gets confused.

They replace a circuit board, thats able to read the MSD.

They quoted me $150 to recalibrate a 6 cyl tach to a 4 cyl, and a board to read the MSD, and I think that included a RPM read of 10,000.

www.nhspeedometer.com

Give them a call, if you have any questions. aktion035.gif
818-761-5136

Richard
Aaron Cox
thats a bunch.... F*** that. 30 bucks for a tach adapter works for me. smile.gif
xsboost90
anyone seen that kit for sale that comes w/ the points conversion and a crane fireball ignition system? Are those junk or not? I think that whole set up can be had pretty cheap.
Joe Ricard
Just ordered a Mallory Hyfire 6 From Jegs $99.00 mueba.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 22 2005, 02:18 PM)
Just ordered a Mallory Hyfire 6 From Jegs $99.00 mueba.gif

good deal!!!! smilie_pokal.gif i payed 110 to my door.
nein14
I have a used MSD 6 and a 10K Autometer black face tach for sale if anyone is interested. Let me know before they go on Ebay.
Joe Bob
First dibs....how much? Ya need anything in trade? I got's stuff... blink.gif
Aaron Cox
MR T: i bet your tach wont work.... unsure.gif

GuyT (914GT) did a write up on PP a while ago....im still reading it... but....its lookin like new tachs work and old ones dont wacko.gif sad.gif blink.gif
dinomium
Summit has the instructions as a PDF on thier site...
MSD PDF
Trekkor
i bet your tach wont work

Already doesn't work headbang.gif

KT
ArtechnikA
before spending money on tach adapters, at least TRY your stock tach being driven from the MSD's Tach Output pin.

i had a car that NEEDED the tach adapter (and not for the tach, it was for the rpm sense in the fuel pump relay...) but i drive the tach from the spark box.

that's what i'm using to drive the AutoGage tach from the Crane HI-6. the tach output pin specifically generates ONE pulse per spark event and is designed for this purpose ...
Joe Bob
I'm running an aftermarket tach with an MSD in Frank....the stoopid book said to hook the input off the coil....no worky, I used the lead off of the dizzy ...
nein14
Sorry no trades, don't really need anything. Make me a offer for both or just one or the other. wavey.gif
Joseph Mills
I posted some ignition pics on the What Kind Of Ignition Are You Running thread.

Will this work? biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...2&t=25675&st=20

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.