Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone in the wy.co.ne.area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm going to be visiting Wyoming from the 18-24 of Feb and wanted to find out any places to visit,eat,avoid! I will be staying in Cheyenne and traveling to Laramie a couple of times for "business". I am also going to be scouting the area for jobs and residency so if you know of places/areas to avoid living please advise. My main concern obviously are my life ar15.gif chair.gif and my cars driving.gif , I will be taking 2 if I move there and only one will be sitting most of the time so I don't want to come home to find it gone!
Gint
Generally speaking, in Wyoming, you take what you can get. Pretty area between Laramie and Cheyenne though. And they are probably the two largest cities in WY., although I would have to verify that for absolute correctness.
StratPlayer
High country,,, well above 6000 ft. The rocky mountain plains. Cold winters, no state taxes. Welcome to the west.
MarkG
One word: Winter - we DO have 4 seasons though: winter, July, August and September.

As soon as HP lays me off, within minutes, I will be leaving this God forsaken iceberg (Colorado) and moving someplace where ice and snow are something you see in movies during Christmas.

But it is nice country and the Rockies were designed for 914 road handling capabilities!
Andy
Ouch, it's not that cold! OK, I guess it's a balmy 32* and sunny today - but it's almost always sunny - 300+ days a year - welcome to the high plains! It does always seems to be colder north of the CO-WY border though, I'm actually from, and currently living in Fort Collins, CO - just south of Cheyenne.

As far as crime and things to do... Wyoming has less than a half million people total, and it's a pretty big area, Cheyenne is something like a whopping 55k, Laramie is less than 30k. So that should give you something of an idea, auto theft is rare, and people are friendly, but there isn't that much to do. If you're an outdoorsman it's great - hunting, fishing, etc - skiing at Jackson's hole and Snowy Range - snowmobiling, you name it. Looking for a night life other than a cowboy bar you'll have to drive. (Fort Collins is less than an hour south of Cheyenne but it's still only a city of 120k Denver is another hour beyond that).
Ferg
I would say the winters are very mild here in Boulder CO, but I grew up in Michigan by the lake, snow only lasts a few days on the ground at most here, not weeks and months.
Wyoming i'm sure is different though. As far as living there, not much to do unless your a real cowboy...
Ferg.
DipShit
Born and raised here in Cheyenne. Not a bad place to be. The wind always brings nice fresh air, it's high and dry so you shouldn't have to worry about rust.

I have driven my '70 911T for the last four straight weekends up to the local ski area 80 miles away. Twenty-five degrees is the limiting factor on that. Been cold but tolerable around the high twenties. My 914 will be ready to drive hopefully by June.

Eating: the Albany, great prime rib sandwich. Avanti's great Italian lunch buffet. Over in Laramie try the Mexican at El Conquistador.

Plenty of great drives from here. Over to Saratoga you'll enjoy the Medicine Bow National Forest. The opening of Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park to Grand Lake via the Rocky Mountain National Forest is a must. Both Roads usually open around mid May.

Bottom line is we are right on the edge of Heaven.

Give me a call when you get here and would be glad to help you in any way beerchug.gif . 630-3675 - Mark.

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to get invited to the American Garage!

Oh, things to avoid... The Wyoming Highway Patrol if your car has an out of State plate!

BMartin914
this God forsaken iceberg (Colorado)

Ouch Mark! I can hardly stand this "iceberg" today. Sun is shining, blue skies and mid 50s. It's like Minnesota up here. dry.gif

Never been to Wyoming but i do know that it is sparsely populated and shares much of our GREAT weather. Sun is usually out and teener weather exists all year around...Coming from a CO native that grew up in Colorado Springs.
TROJANMAN
hope you like the wind and solitude. least populated state in the union.
Scott S
Maybe he is just trying to be like those bumper stickers you see around town -
"Welcome to Colorado. Spend all you money, then please go home..."

Heading to Vail this weekend - I am soooooo bummed. dance.gif

wink.gif
Natedog
The area between Larimie and Cheyenne is calld Veedavoo (say: V-da-voo). It's a great area for rock climbing, mtn biking, camping, and loud drinking events!

The Snowy Range is nearby too. It's great for hiking and camping. There are a ton of lakes for fishing as well.

Cheers,
Nate
Gint
QUOTE (MarkG Posted: Feb 9 2005 @ 09:37 AM)

One word: Winter - we DO have 4 seasons though: winter, July, August and September.

As soon as HP lays me off, within minutes, I will be leaving this God forsaken iceberg (Colorado) and moving someplace where ice and snow are something you see in movies during Christmas.

Yer friggin nutz! Iceberg? How many 40-60 degree sunny days do you want in the winter?

Oh, don't tell anyone though. We need to keep the Californians in Cali.
scotty b
biggrin.gif Thanks for the input gus. My pooter has been down since I left that message and when I got it up I couldn't access the site headbang.gif headbang.gif I actually am a big outdoors "loner" type that prefers openess, so it sounds like I might have some fun out there! If I do move my 944 and CJ-7 will be going so I can enjoy the roads driving.gif and the hills. beer.gif (no 4 wheeling avatar?)
johnlush
Hi Scotty! What on earth would be bringing you from Virginia to SE Wyoming? Depending on what kind of job you're looking for the opportunities may be a little better in Cheyenne than in Laramie but Laramie is maybe a little more "with it" (in a relative sense) as it's a college town and 50 miles closer to the above mentioned mountains. Lots of good stuff here - it's just not for everyone. Whatever you do, don't tell the Colorado guys where the good fishing/hiking/camping spots are - we have enough trouble trying to keep them out as it is! just keep telling them how damn windy and desolate it it! (which is pretty much the truth)... lol2.gif
scotty b
Wyotech is actually what may be bringing me to your lovely state. I'm going out next week to talk to the head of the collision repair program to find out whether it is worth my time or not. I initially inquired about just taking the custom modification class and they sent a rep out to talk to me about the whole program. I had alot of ?'s he couldn't answer and with my background (certified welder, 12 years of restoring cars, mostly German!!) he suggested I go talk to the head about the class and possibly getting a job as a teacher. confused24.gif I have always wanted to live out there for a couple of years just to "get away", and to slog the hell out of my Jeep laugh.gif
Allan
We have a satellite office in Cheyenne. I would be more that happy to have our manager meet up with you and help out on the things worth doing, seeing, eating, etc.
scotty b
biggrin.gif Thanks Allen I might take you up on that. Hey Mark if i should see a 911 sitting outside a building should I just go in and ask for the "DipShit" that owns the 911?? laugh.gif I might get a cowboy beating for that if it isn't yours ar15.gif chair.gif
Gint
Be sure and let us know what ends up working out Scotty.

BTW - It was 60 AGAIN today in Denver. I got a tan sittin in Rex's driveway eating a grilled brat.

Iceberg indeed!
DipShit
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 13 2005, 03:42 PM)
Hey Mark if i should see a 911 sitting outside a building should I just go in and ask for the "DipShit" that owns the 911??

If it's a Red 1970 911T with a ski rack, that would be me. But, you'll have better luck looking for a black F-250 that says www.hempdip.com

I employ a graduate of WyoTech's paint program. He may be able to give you some insight.

Mark

johnlush
Scotty, When you make it to town and know what your plans are, give a call and Mark (DipShit) and I can buy you a beer or eight. PM me for my phone numbers. I don't know a lot about Wyotech but I think they have a pretty good reputation for turning out some good craftsmen. Allan (headrage), what's the branch office you have here in Cheyenne? -John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.