Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disc resurfacing and more
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
while doing a quick google search to find out min specs on front and rear disc I came across this video
video

Does this really improve performance?

if so what is the Max to have taken off?

is this more for a race application than a street car?
Mueller
Such a miniscule amount I bet a single person here couldn't tell the difference when those are thrown on the car.

If you had to pay someone to do that mod there are way better things to spend the money on.

edit...he never did say why he was doing it, could be like some of the comments...different calipers?

You wouldn't want to remove too much material so that you'd have to worry about the pads touching each other when worn...(overhang)
Dave_Darling
Could it be a rear rotor? If so, it could be that it's a 914-6 rotor being turned down to make sure it clears the -4 caliper.

EDIT: Yup, it's a -6 rear rotor. There are sometimes clearance issues when those are used under -4 rear calipers.

And the operation shown has nothing to do with resurfacing.

--DD
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 4 2015, 02:29 PM) *

Could it be a rear rotor? If so, it could be that it's a 914-6 rotor being turned down to make sure it clears the -4 caliper.

EDIT: Yup, it's a -6 rear rotor. There are sometimes clearance issues when those are used under -4 rear calipers.

And the operation shown has nothing to do with resurfacing.

--DD

I know it has nothing to do with resurfacing, but disc trimming in the search engine doesn't bring this up. now trimming the disc will show up on a Disc search.

wouldn't you have to resurface a /6 rear disk as they are thicker than /4 disc to fit into /4 brakes?
JFJ914
I did nothing to the 6 disc. Fits the 4 caliper just fine. YMMV.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Mar 4 2015, 03:18 PM) *

wouldn't you have to resurface a /6 rear disk as they are thicker than /4 disc to fit into /4 brakes?

Not enough to matter.

Sounds like John is one of the lucky ones who don't have any clearance issues. Some people do, but they're very minor.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.