Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maddin
Hi everybody,
time to introduce myself after reading through the forum for over a year.
My name is Marty,born in Germany, living in Australia since 2002.
Been on the hunt for a 914 since mid 2013 and after a few set backs and heart breaks I finally managed to purchase bill1963's beautiful 6-conversion sans engine.

The car arrived after almost 6 months last tuesday and the smile carved in my face since then is starting to hurt.( and yes... I'm aware that smile will probably turn upside down once i start working on the car )
The process of importing the car has been extremely painful,I guess my choice of importer was not the best and I had a hard time extracting any information about anything from the guy who did the job but in the end the car arrived.

A few weeks ago i bought a 3.0l out of a 1978 911SC (Japan Import)
and my friend is currently taking it apart.

Looking very much forward putting the car together,there have been a few changes recently for registering modified cars here in Australia and i hope it won't be too much of a hassle to get it on the road.

I'm lucky to have fellow 914world member edwin and my friend Christian helping me with the task,don't think it would be possible without their help so thanks in advance!

Also a big thank you to bill1963 who was very patient and understanding!

I absolutely love reading through all the threads here and am amazed about the knowledge and the enthusiasm you guys have for those cars.
Good to be here beerchug.gif
wndsnd
welcome.png

welcome.png

John
Shadowfax
welcome.png

Nice car!
timothy_nd28
welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome (if I haven't already said so in the past). I too, am doing a 3.0 in my car, so I hope that all the Threads of questions will benefit you too.

phillstek
welcome.png and good to see another 914 in Oz. Nice looking car.
jwc914
Good on ya m8, If you flip the ring gear you wont have to convert, Litle squirlly at first driving backwards down the road but at least the steering wheel will be on the right side. Where u from in aus
rick 918-S
welcome.png beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png

Looks like you have a nice car there and a 3.0 is a terrific engine. Have fun with your project.
Socalandy
welcome.png beer.gif
JRust
welcome.png Your in the right place! Good luck turning your car into your vision. What fun you have to look forward too. Lots of smile along with a few scratched up knuckles evilgrin.gif
OllieG
Good luck with it all… I've just imported a 3.0L conversion from the US to the UK - what a headache, I feel your pain. Now to get it on the road…

Look forward to watching the progress. popcorn[1].gif smile.gif
maddin
Thanks for the welcome smile.gif

QUOTE(jwc914 @ Mar 5 2015, 01:12 PM) *

Good on ya m8, If you flip the ring gear you wont have to convert, Litle squirlly at first driving backwards down the road but at least the steering wheel will be on the right side. Where u from in aus

no way,no need to covert to rhd. I'm in Geelong/VIC
Pretty sure I've seen an early white 914 in Geelong a few years ago.

OllieG:
I don't think I'll ever import a car again!
Was very keen to buy a local car (well..850 k's up north) which ticked all the boxes but the gentleman couldn't let go which i totally understand.He has a beautiful orange -4 and a green -6 as well.
After that I didn't want to wait anymore and was lucky enough to score the car I have now in my garage biggrin.gif
76-914
welcome.png and "THE" sickness.
Dave_Darling
Hey, I know that car!! In fact, I just mentioned it over on the Bird board... I remember when it got converted. It's a 70, right?

--DD
maddin
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2015, 04:23 AM) *

Hey, I know that car!! In fact, I just mentioned it over on the Bird board... I remember when it got converted. It's a 70, right?

--DD

Hey Dave,it's a 72. Tim was the guys name who owned and converted it...do you know when that was?
cheers Marty
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

good luck beerchug.gif

Drums66
"WELCOME TO the WORLD" flag.gif
bye1.gif very_first_smiley[1].gif
StratPlayer
welcome.png
struckn
Hi Marty, Nice looking 914. If you think you love it now, wait until you drive it. They are a lot of fun and your smile will grow from ear to ear.

beerchug.gif

welcome.png
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(maddin @ Mar 5 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Hey Dave,it's a 72. Tim was the guys name who owned and converted it...do you know when that was?

Hmmm.... I thought this was "Seven", one of the cars that Bradholio converted back in the long-ago days before the forum split. The guy he sold it to machined the covers for the Riviera wheels.

I could be confusing cars, though?

The original story of Seven was that B got ahold of a 1.7 liter 914, and set out to prove just how inexpensively a half-decent conversion could be done. The name either referred to how many days it took him, or the budget in thousands of $$. He did some masterful scrounging and bargain hunting. The engine came out of a wrecked 914-6, complete with carbs (I don't remember if there were exchangers or not) for something like $1500, among other things.

Hey, fellow old-timers, am I completely confused here?

--DD
maddin
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2015, 08:27 AM) *

Hmmm.... I thought this was "Seven", one of the cars that Bradholio converted back in the long-ago days before the forum split. The guy he sold it to machined the covers for the Riviera wheels.

The original story of Seven was that B got ahold of a 1.7 liter 914, and set out to prove just how inexpensively a half-decent conversion could be done. The name either referred to how many days it took him, or the budget in thousands of $$. He did some masterful scrounging and bargain hunting. The engine came out of a wrecked 914-6, complete with carbs (I don't remember if there were exchangers or not) for something like $1500, among other things.

--DD

Tim's 914

As far as i know (the info Bill had on the ebay ad) this is the previous owner who did the engine conversion and a lot of the mods on the car....must be a different one.

I started taking the interior out to get a better look at the floor pans and to clean everything (did i mention it was covered in mould? barf.gif )
I'm absolutely amazed in what good condition the car is! So happy with the purchase! biggrin.gif
I want to driving.gif it so bad!

billh1963
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 5 2015, 04:27 PM) *

--DD

The engine in this car was from a '65 911. I sold the engine and sold the roller to maddin.
bigkensteele
Those centers really make the Rivieras look great! Would it be possible to post a picture of the back of one of the centers? I am curious how they are attached to the ball studs that are shown in Tim's photos. What material did he machine them from?

Oh yeah,
welcome.png
Cuda911
Great looking car, congrats!!!
maddin
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 6 2015, 11:33 AM) *

Those centers really make the Rivieras look great! Would it be possible to post a picture of the back of one of the centers? I am curious how they are attached to the ball studs that are shown in Tim's photos. What material did he machine them from?

Oh yeah,
welcome.png

I'll take a picture for you in the next couple of days..appears to be some sort of plastic,very light.
Dave_Darling
I did a little digging, and I'm now pretty sure that I was confusing two different cars. Sorry!!!

I have seen yours before when Tim owned it; I remember the Rivs and the center caps when they were silver. It was at a San Rafael swap meet quite a while ago.

--DD
maddin
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 6 2015, 11:33 AM) *

Oh yeah,
welcome.png

there you go :-)
dlkawashima
This is Tim's original for sale ad. Some additional info in the ad ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209548

I've seen the car many times and was tempted to buy it when Tim put it up for sale. It's a little mind boggling to know it's half way around the world now, but I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home. Definitely keep us up to date on the progress you make on the car.
maddin
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 6 2015, 09:19 PM) *

This is Tim's original for sale ad. Some additional info in the ad ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209548

I've seen the car many times and was tempted to buy it when Tim put it up for sale. It's a little mind boggling to know it's half way around the world now, but I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home. Definitely keep us up to date on the progress you make on the car.

Thanks for the link! You bet it's in good hands and that's where it will stay for a long time!
Can't wait to give the car some attention and tackle the little bits and bobs that i noticed need fixing. beerchug.gif
maddin
Hey look...7 years ago!!!...it's still not on the road but currently getting prepared for the VASS engineers report which is a requirement to get the car on historic plates.
Wish me luck..
I never thought it would take that long to get it sorted but what a ride it has been so far!
I had long periods of nothingness followed by the birth of my son in 2017 which resulted in more nothingness on the 914 front.Priorities change of course but i kept visiting the car in the garage every so often doing small jobs when time permitted and promising to finish the project one day.

To my surprise the engine turned out to be a 76' Carrera instead of a 78' SC,got it rebuilt and decided to put a Rasant kit on it and Ben McFarland's beautiful heat exchangers underneath.
Car is still 4 lug but the parts for 5 lug conversion are slowly coming together.
Lots of stuff from 914rubber has been added

After so many ups and downs,frustration,anger and all sorts of hurdles I'm cautiously optimistic ...will keep posting when things are happening!

Cairo94507
With these cars persistence is the winner. Glad you are almost at the finish line. beerchug.gif
76-914
Stay after it. You'll get there. beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 22 2022, 04:07 AM) *

Hey look...7 years ago!!!...it's still not on the road but currently getting prepared for the VASS engineers report which is a requirement to get the car on historic plates.
Wish me luck..
I never thought it would take that long to get it sorted but what a ride it has been so far!
I had long periods of nothingness followed by the birth of my son in 2017 which resulted in more nothingness on the 914 front.Priorities change of course but i kept visiting the car in the garage every so often doing small jobs when time permitted and promising to finish the project one day.

To my surprise the engine turned out to be a 76' Carrera instead of a 78' SC,got it rebuilt and decided to put a Rasant kit on it and Ben McFarland's beautiful heat exchangers underneath.
Car is still 4 lug but the parts for 5 lug conversion are slowly coming together.

After so many ups and downs,frustration,anger and all sorts of hurdles I'm cautiously optimistic ...will keep posting when things are happening!

VASS engineer report?
so you are in victoria?

i'm in melbourne.
with a 1.8 i have had for 30 odd years.

maddin
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 23 2022, 04:00 AM) *

Wish me luck..

VASS engineer report?
so you are in victoria?

i'm in melbourne.

Hey ,yes in Victoria,Geelong.
There are at least 3 other 914's in Geelong that i know of.
Is yours on the road?

wonkipop
QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 23 2022, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 23 2022, 04:00 AM) *

Wish me luck..

VASS engineer report?
so you are in victoria?

i'm in melbourne.

Hey ,yes in Victoria,Geelong.
There are at least 3 other 914's in Geelong that i know of.
Is yours on the road?

on the road.

you are not far away.
have to catch up?

interesting to hear of so many 914s hanging around in geelong.
never would have known.
they are out there.
maddin
Yes for sure! Catch up would be great!
The engineer contacted me today so things are happening!!
wish i could post a few pics..
Betty
O... M... G! I sense a 914World meetup in Australia in the near future?!?!?!

Pictures or it didn't happen! cheer.gif happy11.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif

Oh, and the obligatory thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Maltese Falcon
Welcome Marty to the Party ! welcome.png
Australia is a BIG place, but you might see Luke's 914 out and about one day...he's MSDS equipped marty914.jpg
Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 23 2022, 06:25 PM) *

Australia is a BIG place, but you might see Luke's 914 out and about one day...he's MSDS equipped marty914.jpg
Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty

Saw this on tictoc wish I knew how to share pics the trunk stickers are cool
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 23 2022, 07:25 PM) *

Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty

luke's up near ballarat.
tried to hook up with him last year - covid and the dictator got in the way.

australia is a big place.
but turns out we are all within a 60 m triangle of each other.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 23 2022, 05:47 PM) *

Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty

Luke's entire construction of his 914 is full of special build innovations, and surprises at every turn; all in good taste for this avocado aktion035.gif
He's on instagram>>you can check out his entire build; @914.luke
Marty
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 23 2022, 11:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 23 2022, 05:47 PM) *

Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty

Luke's entire construction of his 914 is full of special build innovations, and surprises at every turn; all in good taste for this avocado aktion035.gif
He's on instagram>>you can check out his entire build; @914.luke
Marty

yes i have checked that one out along the way.
he sent me some photos email last year during the lockdown.
its beautiful build.
my mate max has seen it in the flesh at a cars and coffee.
i had to miss the c + c to go appease a client (on a sunday grrrr!).
max said it was a sensational little car.
maddin
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 24 2022, 12:25 PM) *

Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty

Yes i met Luke last sunday at the Daylesford Motorshow,we briefly met at the Hangar Bangar near Colac before Covid hit.
Was great to finally see the car and have a proper chat.
My mechanic has his fingertips on an early 914 too..looks like it's more infectious than covid!!
wonkipop
QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 24 2022, 04:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 24 2022, 12:25 PM) *

Photo credit Luke M.
Click to view attachment
Marty

Yes i met Luke last sunday at the Daylesford Motorshow,we briefly met at the Hangar Bangar near Colac before Covid hit.
Was great to finally see the car and have a proper chat.
My mechanic has his fingertips on an early 914 too..looks like it's more infectious than covid!!

marty i know another guy with a 6 GT replica he is building.
he has a type 3 fastback as well. both are over the top super sano reconstructions.
don't think either is finished yet.
if i get up early enough on sunday there is some kind of early porsche thing down at brighton. not really my scene but i might go. i think he is going to be there.
he had a white 2.0 L 914 before he got hold of the 6 project. a real nice car i think he said he got out of texas. he was down at that do in geelong a few years back at the old bus depot before covid dropped and all the rest of it. i went along.
don't know if you went to that.

the chick i know with the red hamiltons 6 went along too and that car was there.
my car was still under recussitation at the time. i went down there with my mate in his bashed up old speedster.

i know an old german mechanic too who lives out in easter part of the city who has had two 914s for as long as i've known. be at least 40 years or more he has had the cars.
a red one and a white one. both german cars he imported himself back in the late 70s early 80s. the white one is a very very late 76 car.

i met another guy at a cars and coffee in between the two lockdowns.
he has a 74 2.0 L that was on the road here and then was taken apart again for restoration. he bought it as a project and is finishing it. he was all over my car taking a million photos. i can look him up and see how he is going.

there were two out at the german day at sandown a few weeks ago.
the yellow 6 (that used to be lilac) that once belonged to the late brian J i knew and lived up in shepparton but is now here in melbourne i think.

and there was a red 6 GT tribute there as well.

if you got them all in one place there would be quite a collection of 14s here.

+ somewhere hiding out there is a missing crayfords converted 73.
last seen about 25 years ago. and i have never seen it for sale again.
it will turn up again one day. very interesting car.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.