Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front strut assembly help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gopack
Ok,
here is the dilema.
I put on my 911 strut assemblies, and found I needed a different clamp nut for those. No problem, with the help of you guys, I ordered the right ones and the thrust washers from PP. Well I put the drivers side bearings and hub on, and bolted up the wheel.. smooth as shit.
Then the other side. I need to point out I bought these a long time ago, used, so I have no idea what they are. So I try the other side, and I find that side has a 16 mm stub axel, not the 18 mm one liek the other side. So I says to my self, "Self, just use the clamp nut from the 914 setup!" Well sounds good, but it seems that the 914 clamp nut is coarse thread and the stub axel is fine like the other side, just smaller.
Here is the part number stamped on the strut body: 911-341-922-00. it shows up on PP as a susp. strut, special order. Not sure which car or anything else. I assume from part number it is fron a 911, no?. Someone that knows all that is P-car please help me here?

muchas gracias!
groot
I went through a similar mess recently. I had the M16 fine thread struts (early 911) on both sides and bought some genuine Porsche part M16 clamp nuts that were too small. So I tried the M18 nuts for the later struts and they were too big. So, I bought a 15mm drill and tap for M16x1 threads and drilled and tapped the M16 clamp nuts and it fit just right. Then the bears came home and said someone's been tapping my nuts......

Really pissed me off because it cost me time.

Anyway, sounds like you have one early strut (I think the break point is 1973 or somewhere near that) and one later strut. Just beware of the M16 clamp nut, it may not fit.
SLITS
Part number does not show on PET6. Third sequence of digits (922) doesn't match anything.
bondo
Maybe the strut came off of #4? smile.gif
xsboost90
i know when i got my strut assemblies the guy gave me the clamp nuts and said use THESE just in case your 944 hub ones are a different thread/size, the early and late are different. Sounds like you have two different year struts.
gopack
icon_bump.gif
I need to get this car ready to move , so I need to get that passenger side wheel on it. Do I have to buy a later style 911 strut assembly to make it match the other one? Anyone have a right side 911 strut I can get fast and cheap? Any other ideas? I called pelican parts, the local P-car dealer (200 miles away), and a classic porche shop the dealer knew of, and NO ONE had any answer!
Further investigation leads me to beleive that the stub threads are M16 x 1. most M16 bolts are 1.25 or 1.5, so I can't even just slap a nut on it in order to trailer the car!

thanks for the help again.
lagunero
you got PM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.