Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Remove Shift Rod From Side Shift Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
For some reason, I can't get the shift rod off of my side shift transmission confused24.gif

I followed the PP article for dropping the engine, removed the cone screw, but the rod just won't come away from the tranny.... What the hell could I be missing???
bandjoey
A few hour soak in pb blaster ang a few hammer blows? With the cone screws out it should pop out. Might get someone to hold the shift full forward in the cabin to get the most grip under the car. Or vice grips on the coupler and rod for some twisting motions.

smash.gif
ndfrigi
It happened to me the 1st time I removed mine. I borrowed from pepboys on their loaner a tie rod remover in u shape type that has bolt in the middle so you can push in the rod from the shifter coupler.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Grab the shift rod in one hand, the shift rod head (the "T" shaped part) in the other, and start wiggling them against each other. Spray down all of the areas where the two go together with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Aero Kroyl. Keep wiggling, and eventually they should break loose from each other.

--DD
malcolm2
Does PP say to remove both cone screws? One on each end of rear shaft. That would only leave the shift console end to mess with. I believe the cup is cast AL so don't be too ruff on it. You would hate to break it. Soak it good. Maybe some heat on it?
Dave_Darling
It's best to remove both. I usually disconnect the front of the shift rod first, then go back to the rear of the rod to disconnect that.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
I've had a couple that have been real bears to get out. Actually had to cut the rear coupler in half to remove one
Cap'n Krusty
Whatever you do, DO NOT beat on the end of the shaft! You'll mushroom it and it'll be all over ...

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.