Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dodged the Bullet!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am the original owner of my 914. I have always taken care of it. Except for a couple of years it has always been garaged.

Yesterday it was 67 so I washed the teener. Today it is in the 30's! I noticed while spraying behind the rockers a lot of debris came out.

I shouldn't have but before going to bed I did some research on pictures of 914 longs. That night I had a nightmare that my longs were shot! Couldn't sleep much after that!

This morning I did some research on rocker removal on 914World and tackled the job. Fortunately, I had an impact hammer to remove the cheese heads. The slotted head fit perfectly.

Okay, take a deep breath and remove the rockers. To my welcome surprise, they were not bad at all considering how much crap was in the right rocker cover (see picture!)

I feel like I hit the lottery! biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Indeed. Bullet = Dodged

I've gotta ask though. You've been a member here for almost 4 years, have over 2,500 pots....and this is the first time EVER you've taken your rockers off?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 5 2015, 04:20 PM) *

Indeed. Bullet = Dodged

I've gotta ask though. You've been a member here for almost 4 years, have over 2,500 pots....and this is the first time EVER you've taken your rockers off?

Yes, can believe how lucky I am. I guess God takes care of the stupid and dumb! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Don't beat yourself Jawja - I'd bet most 914 owners have NOT removed their rockers over the years, especially the long term 1st & 2nd owners, unless they've done a repaint or resto .... it's not something on the list of regular maintenance items.

Mine never came off in my 40 year tenure either - until I started dis-assembly for the rest a couple of years ago (Cheese-heads by hand & Liquid Wrench soaks BTW).

BTW - the right is always fuller with debris from the curb-side & gutter over the years, from what everybody says - mine included. Funny that factoid though!! biggrin.gif

Take 'er to Amelia if you can make it time-wise! piratenanner.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TargaToy
Braggart!!!

Congrats. You'll miss out on a lot of "fun". piratenanner.gif
914Next
Nice and Clean!! Congrats. And I am still one of those who have not looked under the rockers. This was a fairly lively discussion on a thread I posted a few weeks ago. I'll likely do it one of these days. Can only hope to find what you did.

Steve
914_teener
I have never had mine off. I admit it.

Too scared.

I am pretending they are fine.
Beeliner
Hmmmmm.....

Seems 914 owners should start an "Off Your Rockers" thread with Pictures.

I bet a couple of cars will be saved by this preventive physical exam.

I think you could compare the exam to your personal stress test.
Clogged arteries for us compares to clogged rockers on 914s, no? confused24.gif
914_teener
Actually there was. There were also some great ideas on how to mount the valance panels so that dirtwon.t get as easily trapped. Was called "show us your longs

IIRC idea.gif
JawjaPorsche
Here is the discussion 914_teener talks about above.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=101476&hl=
Larmo63
I'm a one year owner of my '73 914.

Rockers are easy to take off. Easy.

My car sat in a junkyard for years and the cheese heads came right off. After that, it's elementary, dear Watson. I used stainless
allen heads when I put them back on. Seemed easier to use those for next time they need to come off.
Steve Snyder
I just put my rockers back on yesterday after replacing the trailing arm bushings (although I have them off a few times a year to clean out the marbles after DE weekends). It is amazing how much road debris gets up in there.
JawjaPorsche
These pictures scared me!
76-914
You can take the end of that tool off (it pulls out and is a 3/8" sq drive) and put it in your air impact wrench set to #1 on the gun and it will work miracles. Especially those damn big Phillips heads that the Karmann G's had.
914Next
Jawja did you re-install with rivets? Also what size drill bit did you use to drill out rivets? Thanks
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(914Next @ Mar 6 2015, 05:27 AM) *

Jawja did you re-install with rivets? Also what size drill bit did you use to drill out rivets? Thanks

I used a 7/64 bit. I have not reinstalled yet. I am going to hardware store this morning and look at stainless steel sheet metal screws instead of rivets. Someone on this forum said they went this way and likes the look plus it will encourage me to check my longs more regularity instead of every 42 years!

I know you would probably like to keep yours concours so rivets might be the way for you to go.

914Rubber sells them: http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Rocker-panel...xtra-914RPR.htm
02loftsmoor
Could a forum be added for topics like this. what watch for and other problematic areas.
914_teener
I gonna use some 8-32 button head cap screws and tap the holes. Got them from McMaster Carr.

I just seem to never get around to this one.

76-914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 6 2015, 09:40 AM) *

I gonna use some 8-32 button head cap screws and tap the holes. Got them from McMaster Carr.

18ga might be a little too thin to thread. beerchug.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 6 2015, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 6 2015, 09:40 AM) *

18ga might be a little too thin to thread. beerchug.gif

I would agree Kent. Should be at .125 for that pitch. Since I.ve not had mine off....I dunno. If so...I figure something else out. I like the idea being able to remove them without drilling out a rivet.
JawjaPorsche

I would agree Kent. Should be at .125 for that pitch. Since I.ve not had mine off....I dunno. If so...I figure something else out. I like the idea being able to remove them without drilling out a rivet.

agree.gif

I bought some stainless steel screws today instead of rivets.
chads74
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 5 2015, 04:35 PM) *

I have never had mine off. I admit it.

Too scared.

I am pretending they are fine.

Exactly why I haven't pulled mine yet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.