Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding Cruise control to my suby conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I am looking to add aftermarket cruise control to my suby conversion. I want to add it because I have a tendency on long drive to let my speed creep up. Really want to keep from getting any tickets.

I wasn't totally sure how cruise was integrated. I thought it might work through the stock ECU. I have the Stinger ECU from Outfront. So I gave them a call to ask. While the guy didn't outright laugh at me dry.gif . He did say I've never had anyone ask me that before. He then proceeded to tell me the ECU wouldn't have anything to do with that. You would need some type of speed sensor. Then whatever Cruise control unit you bought would integrate with that. Or something along those lines.

So I think on this a bit. I have aftermarket Speedhut gauges. They are GPS based for the speed. I don't believe there is a speed sensor for them. Huh would I have to add a speed sensor just to run cruise? I figured I'll call Speedhut to see if there is something they do or recommend to add cruise with their gauges. Gal says you just send me your speedometer gauge. They have added a cruise control output recently as an option. Well cool evilgrin.gif . Going to call back tomorrow to see what the turn around is. Might just be overnighting it monday to them. Really depends on that turn around. Be great to have for my trip to Vegas & then Route 66 later this month.

Anyone here added cruise control aftermarket before. Is there a unit hearing how mine will run from my speed hut gauge you would recommend?
Mike Bellis
You just need a magnet glued to your CV to make a speed sensor. Many aftermarket cruise control units come with one. Audiovox used to make a pretty good unit. You can probably find one on ebay.
76-914
Jaime, your running a Suby trans, right? If so use the sender off it. IIRC, it has 4 wires but you only need 2 of them.
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif A water cooled engine isn't enough? So, what's next? Power windows? Heated seats? White side wall tires? A fu**ing heater? av-943.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 5 2015, 11:43 PM) *

WTF.gif A water cooled engine isn't enough? So, what's next? Power windows? Heated seats? White side wall tires? A fu**ing heater? av-943.gif

Have you seen his air conditioner thread? smile.gif
mgp4591
Jaime, I think you're making the air cooled guys jealous! lol-2.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 6 2015, 07:54 AM) *

aktion035.gif

Kansas 914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 6 2015, 08:54 AM) *

agree.gif
76-914
While your in there Jamie, you might as well add Heated Seats. Your alt can handle the load. It will be the best $50 you'll spend in the cabin. beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 6 2015, 02:24 PM) *

While your in there Jamie, you might as well add Heated Seats. Your alt can handle the load. It will be the best $50 you'll spend in the cabin. beerchug.gif

I will do that. Thinking of getting a pair of seats recovered while adding a little bolster down low. Then do seat heaters at the same time.

Elliot my car is already bastardized! May as well be comfortable too. Nothing like a 15 hour drive in a day to realize I need some creature comforts in my 914. The nice thing will be you won't even know most of it. While bastardized it is done subtly & still hold true to the character of a 914. I'll remember those scoffing at me while I pass them doing 120 in 100+ degree weather with my windows rolled up & 70 degree air conditioned cabin. All of it while looking absolutely kick ass aktion035.gif I do have tinted windows so my ugly mug won't screw it all up evilgrin.gif

Here is one unit I was thinking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-1223-Un...=item3cc40a8efe
computers4kids
Jamie, Jamie, Jamie..., I love you brother but...I remember the day when you heckled me for putting ac on my 914....then the day came when you did the same laugh.gif Now you want cruise popcorn[1].gif stirthepot.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 6 2015, 03:01 PM) *

Looks like a good unit with modern electronics. I'm not in love with the switch but it will work.
JRust
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 6 2015, 08:13 PM) *

Looks like a good unit with modern electronics. I'm not in love with the switch but it will work.

Yeah was thinking of putting it on the center console. A little stealth on the front of center pocket. Not sure yet but easily accessible there & not to obvious. They have the cruise control arm but didn't like the idea of putting that on the steering column. Here is that one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-1223-Un...=item3cca7016ea
gryphon68
I don't think there is anything fancy about those switches. Just momentary, normally open circuits. Would be easy enough to wire into some other switch of your choice, but you need four switches total for full control.
914forme
agree.gif Or idea.gif Use a latter 911 Carrera Column in the 914 spot. Totally different column, but they have a factory Cruise switch on a stalk, and then leave it to the Miata guys to write up how to rewire one to work with a factory switch!!

Not sure I like where the Porsche put the stalk on the 911 though.

Click to view attachment

But I have been toying with the idea myself on my build.
914forme
It looks almost like it was an after thought!!!

Click to view attachment

That might make it easier to be an after thought on a 914 also. Different switch gear completely, but no reason it can't be done. After all Mike grafted that VW steering column into his 914. Not my thing, but I do appreciate all the work that went into do that, the wiring alone would have driven me screwy.gif
914forme
And then well, you know them tail draggers had cruise control. idea.gif Switch is less than $80 new at a Porsche Dealer. 1976 Porsche 930 had them as an option, might be able to make it work with a little sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif The early 944 switch is over $400 new at the same stealership!!! Better chance of fitting the column though as the 924 switches did with minor work.

Of course I hope no one will admit to it, but I am sure a few 911 / 914-6 with hand throttles used them for a very crude cruise control. Middle of the night run from Vegas to Salt Lake City comes to mind.... yellowsleep[1].gif

Or any run across Kansas on I-70 heading to Colorado, them damn Mountains can be seen for 8 hours before your even close. But once you get there aktion035.gif the torture was well worth it!!!!
JRust
Yeah I'm going to stay away from the column. I'll use the first of the 2 I believe. Once I get my gauge reworked at Speedhut it should be pretty straight forward. I think I can even manage to do it myself evilgrin.gif
rhodyguy
don't melt any wires.
76-914
Jaime, did you pull the trigger on this yet?
JRust
I get my gauge back from speed hut with the Cruise output tomorrow I think. Pretty cheap as they charged $52 to add that output to the gauge. $20 of which was to put a rush on it. I haven't pulled the trigger on an actual cruise unit yet. Is getting close to time I leave for Route 66. So if I find a good unit at a local auto parts place. I may still do it before I leave.

Being the idiot I am dry.gif . I'm redoing my front suspension. We'll see if I get it done in time. If not I will roll with what I have on there. Just updating to 3.5" caliper spacing struts for my 944 turbo calipers. I currently have the earlier 911 struts with 3" spacing. The newer 911 struts are off getting powder coated. Those should be ready wednesday. New bearings coming from GPR also should be here then. Already have the new turbo tie rods as well as the new lower ball joints. So theoretically I should have it all together thursday night. On my car friday night or saturday morning. Then get the brakes all bled & drive test it all. I just wouldn't have much drive time on them before the long trek to Las Vegas. sad.gif .
76-914
Don't forget alignment. And then there is Murphy's 4th; "That which can go wrong, usually does'". It would be a shame to miss R66 because your car wasn't ready.
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2015, 07:58 PM) *

Don't forget alignment. And then there is Murphy's 4th; "That which can go wrong, usually does'". It would be a shame to miss R66 because your car wasn't ready.

Yeah I'm thinking it will wait until I get back on the suspension. Nothing wrong with my current setup. Just want to upgrade the front for better brakes. They certainly work as is. My work week is going to be a little nuts. Doubtful at this point but I will see.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 16 2015, 09:23 PM) *

Yeah I'm thinking it will wait until I get back on the suspension. Nothing wrong with my current setup.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.