Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 conversion oil coolers and oil cooler modifications
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I just started to install my /6 for the first time. I have the trailing arms off my car so I didn't notice at first that I will probably have a clearance issue. I didn't realize that 911 and 914/6 have slightly different oil coolers.

It appears that stock 914/6 oil coolers are NLA.

I have seen several posts about oil cooler modifications.

What are my options for a /6 oil cooler that will clear the trailing arm?

What is the cheapest option?

FYI- I don't think it matters here however I do have a front oil cooler also.
tornik550
It appears the stock coolers are available however very expensive.
tornik550
Also- can I remove the oil cooler with the engine in the car?
patssle
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4319

That guy will modify it for you. Just specify what type of fitting you want welded on!
GeorgeRud
Have the cooler modified with the AN-12 fitting and you should be good to go. Be sure to put a fitting into your line from the cooler to the oil tank so you can easily change the oil.
larryM

I have a good used, pressure tested, original 914-6 cooler FS - $500

Armando has had one FS on eBay periodically

check eBay for others
bcheney
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 8 2015, 08:05 PM) *

I have a good used, pressure tested, original 914-6 cooler FS - $500

Armando has had one FS on eBay periodically

check eBay for others

That is a pretty decent price for a pressure tested original 6 cooler. I have a 911 cooler modified by Rich Johnson and I had it ultrasonically cleaned by a shop in Indy prior to installing in my six conversion.
patssle
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 8 2015, 04:26 PM) *

Have the cooler modified with the AN-12 fitting and you should be good to go. Be sure to put a fitting into your line from the cooler to the oil tank so you can easily change the oil.

Some suggest AN-16 for supply. I used it on mine and it certainly doesn't hurt anything!
GeorgeRud
If possible, AN-16 is certainly an excellent idea. Just have to check the availability of metric to AN-16 adapters to join up with the oil tank.
brant
Needs to be 16

I prefer welded but have seen clamped versions.
t collins
I cut the threads off the AN -16 to 3/4" NPT, bored it out to fit the shortened tube, had it welded on and added the -16 x 90* swivel

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 8 2015, 08:22 PM) *

Needs to be 16

I prefer welded but have seen clamped versions.

+1 smile.gif
sixnotfour
-12 will be fine, for street use.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 9 2015, 03:13 AM) *

-12 will be fine, for street use.

I agree the cooler chokes down to just over .600 as it enters the engine even on the 3.2
GeorgeRud
If you can't find them elsewhere, Batinc.net in Sarasota, Florida has the appropriate metric to AN adapters, though I think they're available from all the usual sources. My conversion has been running -12 lines with a front cooler and I have not noted any oiling problems or excessive temps.
earossi
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 8 2015, 06:44 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4319

That guy will modify it for you. Just specify what type of fitting you want welded on!

Send the cooler off your 911 motor to a914guy (Rich Johnson) and he will have it modified to work in a 914. He can do metric or AN fittings. Also, talk to Rich about his rear mounted auxiliary oil cooler installation. I just did that mod to my /6 conversion. It's a great alternative to the factory solution of putting a cooler in the front trunk and then routing all the interconnecting piping through the body of the car. The small cooler mounts in the engine bay with short hoses connecting it to the engine.
McMark
How I did mine... (and few others)

IPB Image
campbellcj
I'm pretty sure I have an aftermarket/repro -6 cooler on my current setup. It was cheaper brand-new than a 45 year-old factory -6 or even modified 911 Behr. Goes to AN fittings and -12 lines as with others mentioned above.
brant
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 9 2015, 10:08 PM) *

I'm pretty sure I have an aftermarket/repro -6 cooler on my current setup. It was cheaper brand-new than a 45 year-old factory -6 or even modified 911 Behr. Goes to AN fittings and -12 lines as with others mentioned above.

Nice.

Dirty, used coolers are dangerous. Some throw used coolers from grenade motors away. Others do not.
Perry Kiehl
I'd add to what Brant posted, never ever use a questionable oil cooler. There used to be a place called Southwest Cooler, that could untrasonically clean and pressure test oil coolers, but I don't have the address anymore.

If the car being converted is going to use AN fittings, then I use a later model cooler with the large tube, cut it off flush with the bracket on the end, and then tap it for 3/4" NPT and install a 90* elbow with -12AN on one side and NPT on the other. The only trick to this is you want the fitting to point down about 12*, so you need to to take care when you tap the tube so the fitting bottoms out at the correct position.
Mark Henry
He is what I'm thinking of doing
This is a aluminum 1"NPT 90* elbow. It cost $7. at Princess Auto which is like or may even be a Canadian division of Harbor Freight. They sell a lot of the same stuff.

This made for a diesel refueling station or on-site fuel transfer set up.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/all-seaso...=15&Nrpp=15
Mark Henry
The 1st pic is a size comparison.
2nd pic is how it would look welded on the cooler. This would give me 1"NPT female connector.
Mark Henry
Another option would be to put it on the other way.
This would in fact, once the tube is cut down, will slip over the cooler tube and give me a 1"NPT male connector.
Mark Henry
dp
JStroud
I'm working on modifying my cooler now, I've got it setup to clear the valve cover, but not sure about the clearance to the suspension, don't have my engine ready to go in the car yet.

Anyone have a modified cooler in a car they could take a picture or measure the distance from the cooler to the suspension.

Thanks
McMark
You didn't like my pictures. tongue.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 11 2015, 08:29 PM) *

You didn't like my pictures. tongue.gif

They were fine, I think I got the centerline of the AN fitting setup a little past the end of the cooler, just wanted to verify if it will have clearance to the suspension, or if I need to change it before I get it welded.
Jeff Hail
With a 90 tucked close to the cooler you should not have any clearance issues.

Remember you can steer/ aim the 90 pretty much in any configuration. Up, down, forward, aft.

Add a second 90 or two 45s and you will have a very maneuverable Snuffleupagus to put it just about any direction you can imagine.
JStroud
Here's what it looks like now......weld or move in?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(JStroud @ Mar 11 2015, 08:13 PM) *

Here's what it looks like now......weld or move in?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks

That's pretty good. Make sure you have clearance for the female connector.
McMark
agree.gif

Looks good. Mount it on the engine and make sure the cover comes off without hitting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.