Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CameronG63
Hey guys, My engine barely turns over when I try and start it. I have tested the battery and I even replaced the starter. No change... I added another ground strap and cleaned the original one up.. I shorted across the starter terminals and still slow cranking. I removed all the spark plugs, engine is still difficult to turn.... I have also tried to push the car in gear, the tires just lock up. I can slowly push the car if I am in 4th or 5th and see that the flywheel is turning.

Background:
I have a newly rebuilt engine with at least 3 hours on it. It is a 2.2L with 34 dual carbs, scat crank and cam. The engine was running fine, but difficult to start when I pulled it to rebuild the tranny. When the engine was assembled I could put a flywheel wrench on straight up, and it would slowly fall with its own weight and rotate the motor. Flywheel end play was set in spec

What else can I try before engine removal and complete tear down? sad.gif

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
Did you test the battery under load? Jump the battery with a known good one? Full it with oil at rebuild? Have oil pressure?
somd914
I assume starting in neutral or while in gear with clutch in results in the same slow cranking?

Just trying to get the order of events clear...

You rebuilt the engine which spun freely prior to installing the tranny.

You have three hours on the engine, but always cranking slowly or has this happened sometime during the three hours?

When you pulled the tranny, did you check to see if the engine would spin?

CameronG63
The rebuilt engine was running fine a couple months ago, had great oil pressure. I followed the brake in procedures and changed the oil after the first 45 minutes of running. I drove it a round for town a few times. Big power difference from the 1.7L to 2.2L! When I bought the car 4th gear wouldnt engage, I figured it was a linkage problem, as the car had a late 914 side shift with out the proper linkage. I replaced all the linkage and still did not have 4th gear.

I then pulled the tranny and followed Dr. Evil's DVDS to rebuild it. And now I can't start the car.

I have tried to jump it off, as well as test the battery at the autoparts store.

griffindoug
QUOTE(CameronG63 @ Mar 8 2015, 07:16 PM) *

The rebuilt engine was running fine a couple months ago, had great oil pressure. I followed the brake in procedures and changed the oil after the first 45 minutes of running. I drove it a round for town a few times. Big power difference from the 1.7L to 2.2L! When I bought the car 4th gear wouldnt engage, I figured it was a linkage problem, as the car had a late 914 side shift with out the proper linkage. I replaced all the linkage and still did not have 4th gear.

I then pulled the tranny and followed Dr. Evil's DVDS to rebuild it. And now I can't start the car.

I have tried to jump it off, as well as test the battery at the autoparts store.

Check the ground strap
CameronG63
QUOTE(griffindoug @ Mar 8 2015, 05:28 PM) *

Check the ground strap

I did that and added a another ground to make sure that wasn't the problem.
zambezi
Sounds like the starter then.
stugray
Sounds like something dragging in the Flywheel or clutch area.

When the clutch is released (slack) get under the car and wiggle the clutch lever where it enters the trans.

Does it move freely or does it feel like something is touching it?
CameronG63
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 9 2015, 07:32 AM) *

Sounds like something dragging in the Flywheel or clutch area.

When the clutch is released (slack) get under the car and wiggle the clutch lever where it enters the trans.

Does it move freely or does it feel like something is touching it?

I verified clutch fully engages, by rolling the car with clutch in and releasing clutch. It rolls just as easily in nuetral as it does in gear with the clutch in. I just crawed under and disconnected the clutch cable and moved the lever. I can move it a little, can tell it is fully dissengaged but don't have the leverage to pull the lever. With the pedal connect the clutch feels great, This clutch has 5hours on it. It is a 911 six spring.

Any other suggestions? I will pull the motor this weekend, not too excited to go through this again
Mike Bellis
How old is the battery AND cables?

Either one can cause this.

Ignition too advanced can cause this.

Spun bearing can cause this.

Bad starter can cause this.

Murphy's Law can cause this.

I once saw a Chevy with this problem. The mechanic changed the battery, set the timing, changed the alternator and starter. Problem was actually a bad positive cable. Electrical wiring has a life span! Corrosion can build up under the insulation and drop voltage on the way to the starter.

Try this... 2 people required. Jack up the rear and using a volt meter, measure the voltage at the started battery connection while someone tries to crank it over. If the voltage drops below 8V while cranking, you may have a cable or battery problem. This can only be measured while cranking. A static voltage reading at the starter will not tell you much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.