Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pull type clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
eimc
Has anyone converted their clutch on a 914-6 to a pull type? If so can you post pictures of what kind of bracket you used on the bellhousing. 2.2 engine using a 1971 911 clutch. Thanks Paul
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(eimc @ Mar 8 2015, 05:55 PM) *

Has anyone converted their clutch on a 914-6 to a pull type? If so can you post pictures of what kind of bracket you used on the bellhousing. 2.2 engine using a 1971 911 clutch. Thanks Paul

I have been running one on my 6 conversion for years. You don't need a bracket on the bellhousing. Just a 76t 911 cable. I put a tube on the engine by the oil return line to guide the cable, but it is not needed.

Do you want some pictures?

slivel
What is the advantage in going to a pull type? I have always had a push type on my car without any issues.
Steve
eimc
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 8 2015, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(eimc @ Mar 8 2015, 05:55 PM) *

I have been running one on my 6 conversion for years. You don't need a bracket on the bellhousing. Just a 76t 911 cable. I put a tube on the engine by the oil return line to guide the cable, but it is not needed.

Do you want some pictures?

Yes Please Thanks Paul
stownsen914
I've got the pull clutch on my 914/6 racecar as well. I don't have a bracket on my bell housing either, but did need to fabricate a bracket to locate the cable at the tranny end. It attaches to one of the tranny side cover bolts and braces back to a stud on the bottom of the 911 engine. I'll see if I can get a pic, but the car is in storage up on a lift now, so I may not be able to get to it.

I believe I used a 72 911 clutch cable (?), which is a perfect fit. There is an article in Upfixen der Porsche that gave this detail.

To answer the question about what the advantage is, with the 225mm clutch, you have more options for higher clamping pressure plates for high hp engines. It's also a little easier/cheaper to make make the later style flywheels lighter for racing.

Scott
d914
I had the same on the old race car.. Only issue I had was I pulled the pivot point out of the tranny.. A guy out in Calif had a top hat sot of arrangement that he machined into the case.. Strengthened that area..

Weakness of all racing trannys or partial to the pull I don't remember. I do remember losing the clutch going into the corner after the big straightway at VIR though!! smile.gif
stownsen914
QUOTE(d914 @ Mar 16 2015, 05:37 PM) *

I had the same on the old race car.. Only issue I had was I pulled the pivot point out of the tranny.. A guy out in Calif had a top hat sot of arrangement that he machined into the case.. Strengthened that area..

Weakness of all racing trannys or partial to the pull I don't remember. I do remember losing the clutch going into the corner after the big straightway at VIR though!! smile.gif

That's not an uncommon failure for the pull clutches in the 901/911 tranny, since the clutch action pulls on the pivot instead of pushing on it like the regular 901/914 trans. Red loctite it for sure. I had a pivot bolt break once on mine due to uneven wear, so it must be a highly stressed item.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.