Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 brake rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
One of my rear brakes is binding and I think that it needs to be rebuilt. Where/Who is the best source to have this done and how much should I expect to spend? I imagine I should probably do both.
brant
Contact Eric...

(calling eric)

he hangs around here and I'm sure he can work magic!

hey.. I wanna see pictures or hear details about your car
vintage914racer
The brake rebuild is on a 914-6 street car I have, but I also vintage race another one that has been a race car since the early seventies. I will try to attach an old picture I have on this computer.
Eric_Shea
OMG what an awesome car pray.gif

Now... on to brakes (thanks for the plug). With 914-6 rears there are no kits available however that problem can be surmounted. You'll need to buy a 914-4 kit and an early 911 rear caliper rebuild kit. Marry parts from the two. The -4 rear kit will have half the caliper 1/2 seals and the o-rings needed. The 911 kits will have the dust covers and the piston seals needed. You'll also need to find roughly 4 more caliper 1/2 seals but I think that can be accomplished.

Check the links at the bottom to see what can be done. If you go to the brake link you'll find a "How-To" thread that will show you what's involved if you want to tackle this job yourself.
Eric_Shea
(I hope he didn't dissappear... I wanna hear more about that ride) huh.gif
brant
I too want details on that car...

NICE COLOR!

brant
vintage914racer
Well Im not quite sure that I can do the rebuild myself, as I am unfortunately limited in my mechanical abilities and to be honest brakes are one thing that I do not want to mess around with.

Some details on the race car...Its been a race car since the early seventies and has seen many transformations since that time. My father acquired the car about 12 years ago and raced it for several years. Originally it was an E-production racer in SCCA until the eighties when it started racing vintage events and did quite well. My father passed away and I continued with the family passion of racing and have raced it in vintage for the past 5 1/2 years. My dad and I did a lot of car related bonding and racing helps me to continue that bond.

The car itself has a 2.0l six with approximately 200hp. Weighing in just over 1800 lbs it has more than enough power for me. I pretty much just go out and have fun in it a few weekends a year and with my modest expenditures I am able to hang in the front third with guys who spend 10 times in a weekend what I spend in a year.

brant
Wow,
thats really great.
do you have anymore pictures.

is the front hood and bumper metal or glass.
any more details for us.

I love it!
Eric_Shea
What a beautiful ride. Please post more pictures of it when you can.

I can rebuild your brakes for you. No problem.

E.
vintage914racer
Everything is glass on the car except for the doors. I am at work, but will try to post some more pics later tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.