Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Huge shout out to Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing (with Video!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
In a day and age where we all run to the computer to bitch about this or that company, I feel it is also necessary to highlight when someone does things 'right'. I'm sure many if not all of you know or know of Chris at Tangerine Racing (Racer Chris here on World)

I recently purchased Chris' Shift Linkage Kit to install with the new 915 w/Vellios transmission we were putting into Papa Smurf. We also got a new Rennshift shifter and replaced ALL of the bushings.

Oh

My

God!!

I have NEVER driven ANY 914 that shifts so well. We've always had a Rennshift so I know how that really improves the shifting, but the precision and confidence that Chris' kit gives to the shifting is amazing. I never felt like I was guessing or unsure about what gear I would be in. Nadine even said she could not believe how great it shifted and FINALLY felt confident driving it.

The kit is not cheap, but when you get it, you understand why. All the parts are precision built and of very high quality.

So if you ever have any concerns or issues with 914 shifting (and don't we all??) , do yourself a favor and invest in a Rennshift and the Tangerine Shift Linkage Kit and you will be VERY happy.

Here's a video from this past weekend and you can see how quickly and easy it is to shift. This gearbox has a very short 4th gear and a stock 5th, so you hear the revs sound a bit odd from 3-4 then 4-5. Otherwise, all went VERY well this weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rss1XBTbtqE
mepstein
agree.gif I think the parts are very reasonable price when you concider how much time it takes to r&d and how limited the market is.
shoguneagle
I am in COMPLETE AGREEMENT!
AndyB
agree.gif
BeatNavy
I think one of the best things Chris does is provide very good installation instructions. That makes a big difference to me. Can't wait to install the shift linkage adjuster and bushing in my car!
MichaelB
I don't post much but feel compelled to join in thanking Chris Foley for his outstanding products. I have bought his oil pressure relief valve for my newly rebuilt 2056 and both the MPS adjustment kit and a new diaphragm for my leaky 043 MPS. Thanks!!!
R8CERX
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 9 2015, 02:23 PM) *

In a day and age where we all run to the computer to bitch about this or that company, I feel it is also necessary to highlight when someone does things 'right'. I'm sure many if not all of you know or know of Chris at Tangerine Racing (Racer Chris here on World)

I recently purchased Chris' Shift Linkage Kit to install with the new 915 w/Vellios transmission we were putting into Papa Smurf. We also got a new Rennshift shifter and replaced ALL of the bushings.

Oh

My

God!!

I have NEVER driven ANY 914 that shifts so well. We've always had a Rennshift so I know how that really improves the shifting, but the precision and confidence that Chris' kit gives to the shifting is amazing. I never felt like I was guessing or unsure about what gear I would be in. Nadine even said she could not believe how great it shifted and FINALLY felt confident driving it.

The kit is not cheap, but when you get it, you understand why. All the parts are precision built and of very high quality.

So if you ever have any concerns or issues with 914 shifting (and don't we all??) , do yourself a favor and invest in a Rennshift and the Tangerine Shift Linkage Kit and you will be VERY happy.

Here's a video from this past weekend and you can see how quickly and easy it is to shift. This gearbox has a very short 4th gear and a stock 5th, so you hear the revs sound a bit odd from 3-4 then 4-5. Otherwise, all went VERY well this weekend!

Please post his website??

Interested

aktion035.gif
Rleog
tangerineracing.com

Open the "Products" section.
naro914
shifter kit is upper left. I bought the 914/6 kit. I had to change everything when we went to the 915 (shifter, tunnel shift rod) and he helped me through all that...even made me this slick custom adapter/adjuster (I'm sometimes a bit dense when it comes to how things work...)

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
r_towle
Nice to hear good news.
I always bitch when I have to open the computer for work now a days....
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 9 2015, 01:23 PM) *

Oh

My

God!!

Nice video, that car is nasty.
Oh, and Chris is the man.
first.gif
zambezi
Awesome!!!
Shadowfax
agree.gif
Nice driving! That exhaust note is sweet. Noticed that the other drivers are very courteous when you are about to pass. Good sportsmanship.
OllieG
…don't you get lonely out there Bob without anyone to race against?! biggrin.gif
FourBlades

Chris is the real deal. piratenanner.gif

He has helped me tremendously with both my cars.

John
JawjaPorsche
I have bought several products from Chris. When I called to ask questions, he was very helpful and tolerant of my limited knowledge. blink.gif

Not to mention his products are first rate.

We are so lucky to have him and other vendors on this forum that help us keep our passion running! beerchug.gif
naro914
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Mar 9 2015, 11:37 PM) *

.... Noticed that the other drivers are very courteous when you are about to pass. Good sportsmanship.

Interestingly I disagree a little. This was a Drivers Ed in the Expanded Passing group, meaning passing anywhere on the track with a point by. As in, in the turns not just the straights. But many of the drivers won't give a point by until the straight. The rule is basically that passing anywhere is MANDATORY, meaning if you don't feel comfortable passing or giving a pass in turns and such, move into a different group that only passes on the straights.

It happened all weekend...I would catch someone before a turn and they would wait until the next straight away to give a pass signal. Lots of guys are good about it and see me coming, but lots were not. Oh well... had fun anyway.

QUOTE(OllieG @ Mar 10 2015, 05:14 AM) *

…don't you get lonely out there Bob without anyone to race against?! biggrin.gif

Ha! Yeah, I did get bored a few times. But it wasn't a race, just a Drivers Ed... and I went into the weekend trying to sort a few things out (transmission, suspension, engine, new seat, etc). Should have had new tires to really get the set up right, these tires were shot before we got there and I had very little grip. But, got it all sorted out and running right by the end of the weekend.

I have a PCA Club Race at the end of the month at Road Atlanta where I will certainly NOT be the fastest out there...I'll be happy to not be last in my class!!

Geezer914
I have a Rennline shifter and installed Chris's shift kit, it was night and day! One of the best investments you can make for your 914. Now it's a pleasure to drive. Before it was "guess what gear I am shifting into, grind, grind, shit!" Now it's like a hot knife through butter. Another great product from Tangerine Racing. Aslo have his SS fuel lines and delrin steering coupler. piratenanner.gif
Jetsetsurfshop

Interestingly I disagree a little. This was a Drivers Ed in the Expanded Passing group, meaning passing anywhere on the track with a point by. As in, in the turns not just the straights. But many of the drivers won't give a point by until the straight. The rule is basically that passing anywhere is MANDATORY, meaning if you don't feel comfortable passing or giving a pass in turns and such, move into a different group that only passes on the straights.

It happened all weekend...I would catch someone before a turn and they would wait until the next straight away to give a pass signal. Lots of guys are good about it and see me coming, but lots were not. Oh well... had fun anyway.

If they don't notice you (scary) or are not comfortable with giving you a point by in a corner (also scary), do you really want it?
I had a mustang in the same type of group DE that I kept catching in turn ten at Sebring. Finally he gave me a point by at 16. I was good with it, but he went so off line so far I thought he might spin in the marbles. unsure.gif
I think a lot of drivers are very satisfied with DE. They never plan on racing...
Glad you still had fun, and again that car is an animal!
Java2570
Chris and Tangerine Racing are top notch, don't know what 914 owners would do without great vendors like Chris! beerchug.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Mar 10 2015, 09:11 AM) *

Chris and Tangerine Racing are top notch, don't know what 914 owners would do without great vendors like Chris! beerchug.gif

That's an easy one. They would deal with things like grinding in and out of gear. Or even better all those back dated bumpers wouldn't be like mine and have the reinforcements to support and reenforce the front bumper instead of counting on the sheet metal and washers.
scott_in_nh
agree.gif
Even though I've only bought a few low dollar parts like his MPS kit and SS fuel lines from Chris, they are top notch.
He always has time for my questions and treats me like he is building my car which he would be if I won the lottery aktion035.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 10 2015, 09:15 AM) *

He always has time for my questions and treats me like he is building my car which he would be if I won the lottery aktion035.gif

I appreciate the kind words and encouragement from you all. smile.gif
There's no question that I really love what I'm doing.
idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
type.gif beerchug.gif smoke.gif

A big problem with my business model is that I need a lot more "lottery winners" if I'm going to make a decent living at this. unsure.gif
I haven't paid myself since 2008. Racing has been completely out of the question since 2010,
and since then I've been on the fence about giving up more often than not it seems. sad.gif

I have three talented, hardworking employees (Ed, Genaro, and Justin) that I'd like to retain, so in an effort to restore financial stability,
right now I'm in the process of increasing some product prices, and the hourly service rate is about to take a big step up.

The upside of not giving up is that my handiwork can be found in lots of very nice 914s across the country, and around the world.
At the shop right now we have:
A 3.2L conversion from Maine being prepped to compete for TTOD at Parade this year, smilie_pokal.gif
A 1970 914-6 from New Jersey that's been off the road for at least 20 yrs - being restored now,
A beautiful silver 3.6L conversion from Massachusetts with red leather interior,
A gorgeous Black hardtop 2270 that will be headed to Hawaii once we finish the reassembly,
And half a dozen others with varying degrees of customization.

Ands of course, I get to know the interesting people (914 addicts) who own these cars. smile.gif
Rleog
A big problem with my business model is that I need a lot more "lottery winners" if I'm going to make a decent living at this. unsure.gif
I haven't paid myself since 2008. Racing has been completely out of the question since 2010

I have three talented, hardworking employees (Ed, Genaro, and Justin) that I'd like to retain, so in an effort to restore financial stability,
right now I'm in the process of increasing some product prices, and the hourly service rate is about to take a big step up.

This has to happen, and should have happened earlier. A custom 914 shop with a worldwide reputation for innovation and high quality work deserves better. You'll be getting my $ vote again, long overdue, as soon as I get off my butt and get my project reassembled enough to trailer it to you again.

Two thumbs up to Team Tangerine
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 12 2015, 10:17 AM) *

A 3.2L conversion from Maine being prepped to compete for TTOD at Parade this year, smilie_pokal.gif
A 1970 914-6 from New Jersey that's been off the road for at least 20 yrs - being restored now,
A beautiful silver 3.6L conversion from Massachusetts with red leather interior,
A gorgeous Black hardtop 2270 that will be headed to Hawaii once we finish the reassembly,
And half a dozen others with varying degrees of customization.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
AndyB

[/quote]
This has to happen, and should have happened earlier. A custom 914 shop with a worldwide reputation for innovation and high quality work deserves better. You'll be getting my $ vote again, long overdue, as soon as I get off my butt and get my project reassembled enough to trailer it to you again.

Two thumbs up to Team Tangerine
[/quote]

agree.gif Long over due and I am a customer telling you this WTF.gif
sda4property@gmail.com
Wow that was awesome..! How much for a 914-6 like that one..!
ThePaintedMan
Chris, ever since I started screwing with carbs, I've learned from you and touted your engineering prowess.

I too think your prices should be whatever makes it feasible for you to keep doing this. Unfortunately I'm not at a point in my life where I can order more from you, otherwise I surely would. However, I have always appreciated what you've put into these cars and I can only hope to help keep spreading the world about your business.

As always, there is DEFINITELY a seat for you anytime you can/want to come down and drive Sebring. It's a slow car, but I'd be honored if you would come drive it.
naro914
Chris I think I've run out of things to buy from you... smile.gif

Scott...are you asking me? Lets just say way more than I ever imagined we would put into anything...including a house and ESPECIALLY a car. I remember when we got Papa Smurf, which we got from my father-in-law as a fully stock 2.0 and was not named, and my buddy said "914's are so cool, you can do some great modifications to them" to which Nadine said "What?? We are not modifying our car. No way"

oops... blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 12 2015, 03:38 PM) *

Papa Smurf, which we got from my father-in-law as a fully stock 2.0 and was not named, and my buddy said "914's are so cool, you can do some great modifications to them" to which Nadine said "What?? We are not modifying our car. No way"

Can you say "project creep"? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 12 2015, 03:38 PM) *

Chris I think I've run out of things to buy from you... smile.gif

For now. happy11.gif

The short adjuster rod I just sold you didn't even exist until you needed it.
I've already used that experience as a springboard to work on the precision adjuster for early style shifters.
The 3.2 AX car in my shop has a WEVO 915.
It will get the first one, which is already assembled and waiting for the Rennshift to arrive.
naro914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 13 2015, 07:15 AM) *

Can you say "project creep"? biggrin.gif

I see no project creep on Papa.

Before

Click to view attachment

and after ... only slight modifications right??

Click to view attachment

But it DOES have Tangerine Raised Rear Suspension point kit and complete shifter kit aktion035.gif

Though I guess whenever I do something with the steering rack, I may want that delran steering coupler.......hmmmm.... idea.gif

There is one thing I do need that you don't sell (nobody does)...I need a bigger Fuel Cell tank that fits into the stock location than the one Patrick sells. Somehow, they take a 16 gallon tank and reduce it down to only 10 gallons with the bladder added. I can't run enduro's with 10 gallons and i can't imagine why 6+ gallons of space are 'lost'. I called Fuel Safe, who makes the bladder, and they were no help.
ChrisFoley
The custom cell I made for my race car only holds 6+ gal.
I could build one for you that holds enough fuel but the cost might be too much to justify.
The passenger footwell needs a minor modification to do it the way I like.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Madswede
Coincidentally enough, I just ordered a shift rod kit from Chris! I'm Looking forward to a much better experience as I've long been frustrated with the loose shifting in the past. Since I've got a mean, high strung 3.2 in there I want to reduce probability of a missed shift. Also, it just makes for annoying driving for me the way it is. I'm hoping to be back on the road with it in early June! sunglasses.gif Can't wait!
GregAmy
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 13 2015, 07:31 AM) *
There is one thing I do need that you don't sell (nobody does)...I need a bigger Fuel Cell tank that fits into the stock location than the one Patrick sells.

Why stock location?
naro914
No room...

Click to view attachment
Bulldog9
+ 10 on this, and reading Chris's post, I'm glad I made the decision to buy my Exhaust, Air Filters, and cable carb linkage from Tangerine......

Cant wait to see/hear the benifits....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.