Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OMG! it was a close call! Lucky to be alive right now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Yes , i was in the 914 and he was in a construction company pick up truck!
First off let me say that is the first real close call since ive owned the car in the past 6 years.
So i am feeling VERY BLESSED!!!

The community i live in is on a busy 6 lane highway(3 going each way) . I am stopped, the light turns green and i start to pull out to turn left on to the highway, i always look back to the left before completing my turn, and out of my right side peripheral vision i see somthing so i hit the brakes!! He is going full speed at least 60, flies thru the intersection just missing me, swerves, looses control and flips over 2x and a half! landing on the side! over on the right side of the road.
There are cameras at the intersection so i suppose the HWP will be able to pull the video feed for the intersection to see it.
also glad to report that the drive of the other car was o.k. I think he was thrown out of the truck, because i never took my eyes off the vehicle and i never saw him crawl out, he walked around from the back side! very lucky he is alive!!!
BTW that stretch of highway , about a 8 mile stretch had 150 accidents at 4 different intersections last year alone, including several fatalities(a friend's mother-in-law was killed one mile from this ).
SO be careful out there!!!!!!!
GeorgeRud
Glad that everyone was OK. Just learn to drive as if you're invisible!
hndyhrr
Glad you are ok! Wow what a way to start the day.
rick 918-S
Way to watch out for the other guy!
sb914
Always clear intersection after light changes, I've had a Couple néar misses as well.
DRPHIL914
local news pic
Cairo94507
So glad you dodged that speeding bullet. We should be driving our cars as if we are riding motorcycles - seriously. (Except for that whole lane splitting thing of course slap.gif)
DRPHIL914
the median area is fairly large too, and i wasnt quite to the middle of the intersection when i saw him come from the right.
-traffic to my left had stopped at the light so i began to move forward and i looked back again to the right - man that was close! When i got out to check to see if anyone was in the truck, injured etc, he walked around from behind the vehicle, and he was like "what happened?" Well, i said, you ran that red light!!!, your vehicle flipped over a couple times too." - i am sure he had been thrown out of it, and is lucky he was not laying in the middle of the road dead for sure! - and although his english was fairly clear i doubt his name is "william" i asked him like 3 times what his name was. - - wonder if he had a license dry.gif i really was not too worried about that as i was more concerned that he was o.k. - kind of wish i had a gopro mounted, might go get one.....
ndfrigi
Thank God for protecting you and giving the right judgement and for being alert! And that is a nice way on how to react that instead of hating the guy you still tried to help him and focus how he is doing! God is taking care of you and he used to be a good example! Take care always and God bless you!
Cairo94507
I have a commute of about 90 miles roundtrip and have been thinking about adding a GoPro to my commuter to record the asshats driving around me. I get rear ended about once a year. Not badly, maybe at about 15 MPH typically. But still, it might be good to have a video of that stuff.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 10 2015, 10:37 AM) *

I have a commute of about 90 miles roundtrip and have been thinking about adding a GoPro to my commuter to record the asshats driving around me. I get rear ended about once a year. Not badly, maybe at about 15 MPH typically. But still, it might be good to have a video of that stuff.

that's what i was thinking. Yesterday there was an accident on my way home- another intersection, minivan t-boned a vehicle both were totaled. traffic on the other side was backed up for 3 miles, 5:30 PM commuter traffic of course!

but even a worse one a few days ago- 2:30 am this past week, a trooper rear-ended a car stopped at a red light on that same highway!! - both he and the 3 passengers in the van he hit were hospitalized.
Chris H.
Wow Philip. So glad you were alert and aware. Count your blessings brother! That road sounds like a really dangerous place.
mbseto
Good argument for Signal Orange!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 10 2015, 05:13 AM) *

the median area is fairly large too, and i wasnt quite to the middle of the intersection when i saw him come from the right.
-traffic to my left had stopped at the light so i began to move forward and i looked back again to the right - man that was close! When i got out to check to see if anyone was in the truck, injured etc, he walked around from behind the vehicle, and he was like "what happened?" Well, i said, you ran that red light!!!, your vehicle flipped over a couple times too." - i am sure he had been thrown out of it, and is lucky he was not laying in the middle of the road dead for sure! - and although his english was fairly clear i doubt his name is "william" i asked him like 3 times what his name was. - - wonder if he had a license dry.gif i really was not too worried about that as i was more concerned that he was o.k. - kind of wish i had a gopro mounted, might go get one.....

As far as mechanism of injury which is a term we use in trauma response, being thrown from a vehicle is worst. We really don't know how many physical forces and impacts the body is subjected to when they are thrown from a vehicle. By comparison, if you run into the car in front of you, you are thrown forward upon the impact and then back. Pretty simple to figure the physical forces and possible impact the body took. That said, it is a pretty fair assumption that even he didn't know his name considering he didn't know what happened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.