Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mocal sandwich plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Going back and forth on this one, is it really necessary for fitment to use this style?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product..._Sandwich_Plate

Has anyone used one?

A member here hooked me up with a cooler, some hose and fittings, I've read Dave's and others threads regarding installations but don't know if this was used or not...

screenguy914
It's an oil filter adapter with fittings for in/out oil lines. Are there other options to plumb a cooler into the lube system?

I suggest including a thermostat in the external cooler system. With this, oil will bypass the cooler until oil temp. reaches a threshold - lowers pumping losses with more viscous, cold oil.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product...rmostat#reviews

Notice the hose size? Larger hose ID allows oil flow with less restriction (pressure drop) and again, less stress on the oil pump.

Sherwood

StratPlayer
You can get a sandwich plate a lot cheaper that will do just as good a job as that mocal one.
Elliot Cannon
I use a sandwich plate like this one. I use one with the 180 degree thermostat and it works great. I didn't use "banjo" fittings. I didn't really need them. You might however not have the same amount of clearance I have since I have headers installed. Whichever fittings you use, the sandwich plate should work fine. It has for me.
Porschef
Elliot, yes I did see your pic before, it's just that the header pipe gets in the way and it's hard to tell just what's going on. But you didn't need the banjo bolts,correct?

Strat, I do realize there are less expensive ones out there, the Mocal unit is the only one shown with those bolts, Aircooled.net also shows the same for the type4...

Sherwood, I do have a remote thermostat, it's an Earls that is essentially the same as the one you're referencing. I was just making an attempt at simplification, eliminating extra fittings/plumbing
stugray
I used this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-545

IPB Image

and some -12 AN to Male 1/2 in fittings.
Pricey but solid.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 10 2015, 03:38 PM) *

Elliot, yes I did see your pic before, it's just that the header pipe gets in the way and it's hard to tell just what's going on. But you didn't need the banjo bolts,correct?

Strat, I do realize there are less expensive ones out there, the Mocal unit is the only one shown with those bolts, Aircooled.net also shows the same for the type4...

Sherwood, I do have a remote thermostat, it's an Earls that is essentially the same as the one you're referencing. I was just making an attempt at simplification, eliminating extra fittings/plumbing

You might try something like his AN fitting if you have room. It might be a bit cheaper than banjo fittings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.