Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove paint from wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RAX914
After a very long search, I finally found a replacement wheel, thanks to Jim at EASY in Emeryville CA.

The wheel was painted black and I'd like to remove the paint and keep it unpainted. I thought about having it soda blasted, but I was quoted $170 over the phone for a single wheel. That's more than I paid for the wheel itself.

So, any recommendations on how to remove the paint from the wheel pictured below?

New wheel:
Click to view attachment

One of my existing wheels, I'd like it to match: (Edit: oops don't know how I duplicated the first picture twice, my existing wheel is the third picture...sorry)
Click to view attachment

Thanks
scott_in_nh
I used aircraft stripper on my Mahles with no ill effect to the metal
mepstein
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 11 2015, 05:48 PM) *

agree.gif I used it on the aluminum intake and fan on my 6 engine. Scotty B recommended. Worked well.
john77
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2015, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 11 2015, 05:48 PM) *

agree.gif I used it on the aluminum intake and fan on my 6 engine. Scotty B recommended. Worked well.

Did the same on a set of fuchs. It will take off the paint but not the anodized finish underneath.
RAX914
Thanks guys!

I just picked up a can at autozone and I'll give it a try this weekend.

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 11 2015, 02:48 PM) *

Same here.
RAX914
Thank you for the great suggestions, the Aircraft Remover worked great! Maybe too great, as now I'll need to clean my other three wheels to match. Now to buy new tires.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.