Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why has this car not sold yet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Seems like a reasonable price for a 74 2.0, seems like it's in decent condition, and I've always wanted an Olympic Blue car...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331500737696

Has anyone seen this car in person?

-Steve
siverson
IPB Image
boxstr
Nice looking car, I think it would look better with some 2.0 Fuchs. It also looks like a ver slick presentation , the staging on the round table. Maybe some pics of the motor, trunks and interior would help.
Craig at CAMP
Big Len
Been for sale for at least a year and a half.
era vulgaris
This car is about a 2 hour drive away from me, and when I was looking for a new 914 I considered this car. However the seller, Paramount Classic Cars, wants $18,900 for the car. When I emailed Keith at Paramount about the car's shortcomings (the non-original wheels, the corroded heat exchangers, the lack of info about whether an engine or trans rebuild had been done (because the car is obviously at 101,077), the cut door cards, the non-original radio, the missing passenger sun visor, the lack of pics of the engine bay, trunk, and longs, etc etc) and tried to negotiate the price down to a reasonable amount, his response was, "the price is $18,900 and the reserve is $18,900." When I replied that the condition of the car, the lack of info about crucial rust areas, and lack of mechanical info didn't warrant that high of a price, his reply was simply, "It sounds like this isn't the car for you." My response was, "It would be the car for me if the asking price reflected the car's actual value." I put the value at about $12K. He never responded to my response.

Keith never answered any of my questions about the mechanical or structural condition. He never answered a single question I had about the car. He never bothered to spend one second addressing any of my concerns about the car. His only response to any email I sent was that he would only take $18,900 for the car.

Well Keith can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I picked up a killer car with a 2270 for substantially less than he wanted for his overpriced "restored" car that's been for sale for over 2 years.
Larmo63
Riviera's and the dealer's shi**y attitude kill the sale.
mgp4591
WOW!! It's a Targa and has a removable faceplate radio?? AWESOME- I'LL TAKE IT!!! w00t.gif av-943.gif

somd914
Just another case of the seller thinking it is worth far more than it really is, and obviously doesn't need to move it. And I've never understood a dealer selling a classic car w/o pics of the interior, engine, trunk(s), and the underside. To me that indicates there are likely issues that the seller doesn't want seen.
Cuda911
But, it only has 1,077 miles on it! (what a dope that dealer is).

Also, the ad claims the motor is 2.0 L, but the listing details show only 1,971 cc. I want the additional promised 29 cc.
AndyB
Let us not forget the L- Jet fuel injection.
JawjaPorsche
The 2.0 was D-Jet not L-Jet. 74-75 1.8 was L-Jet.

What is with the electric cable hookup to the tranny? Battery ground?
DBCooper
For sale for a year and a half already? Yeah, that "free market" thing works both ways, doesn't it? But, seriously, a year and a half and he still hasn't figured it out? The man's a REALLY slow learner.

rhodyguy
Prob because 17,141 potential buyers (# of members here) can see behind the gossy photos and the history lesson in the vehicle description.
era vulgaris
I think the problem is that Paramount Classic Cars is a division of Paramount Auto Group, which also sells Kia, Hyundai, Ford, VW, Volvo, Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, and Aston Martin.
I'm sure they make plenty of dough selling new cars and can sit on the classic cars until some dope comes along with more money than sense, or until the market rises to match their price.
zambezi
I agree the dealer is in no hurry to sell this car. Sometimes dealers will get a classic car to sit in the showroom just to attract people. They get more foot traffic in and sell other cars just because they came in to look and reminisce on the classic car. Selling it at a lower, easy to sell cost, could actually cost them more money in the future.
tumamilhem
I was considering buying this car until I gave it a thorough look. It's actually been on sale for more than 2 years. Not original, some customizing and 2 years ago was asking $24K. WAY overpriced, which is why I believe it still hasn't sold.
somd914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 12 2015, 08:19 AM) *

Ah, didn't notice that there were more pics down below in the add. But still no engine or rear trunk photos unless I'm still missing something (which could be...). And what a grimy tranny - think they would at least clean it up some, or perhaps they did.
patssle
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 12 2015, 04:19 AM) *

Is that ground not normal? Mine came with one too and is connected to a stub underneath the trunk above the tranny. I assumed it provides the ground for the starter.
AvalonFal
The stub underneath the rear trunk is to connect a braided ground strap from the TOP of the tranny.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(zambezi @ Mar 12 2015, 11:21 AM) *

I agree the dealer is in no hurry to sell this car. Sometimes dealers will get a classic car to sit in the showroom just to attract people. They get more foot traffic in and sell other cars just because they came in to look and reminisce on the classic car. Selling it at a lower, easy to sell cost, could actually cost them more money in the future.

They keep their classic cars housed together in a showroom in an entirely different building. Anyone going to buy a new car wouldn't see their classics.
Pursang
For many of the reasons shown above that is NOT a $19K car. If it is, I might consider selling mine for at least $40K. And who would be so brain dead to think that it only had 1100 miles on it. Really?
Chrisdito914
I've seen it in person and it's not worth north of $12K on a good day. They told me they will not let it go for under $18K. They are just waiting for sucker!
larryM
QUOTE(Chrisdito914 @ Mar 12 2015, 05:26 PM) *

They are just waiting for sucker!

you see this every day on eBay -

$4999 buy-it-now for a $60 honda radio

$3898 for an obsolete $120 Nikon DSLR

$12500 for a $300 "rare car part"

etc etc

just do a search on anything with "price highest first"

yes - suckers who've drunk 'way too many 5ths and are joy riding eBay at 3 a.m. - you see that 914 for "1,850" instead off "18,500"

you hit "buy it now" and you own it

better hope you don't have that cash in your bank acct or available on your linked credit card -

just like Nigerian scams

and like the "guys" who offer us parts paid for by moneygram when we post WTB ads

it's the wild wild west

djporsche
I emailed them about a week ago asking if they had pictures of the hell hole and inside. The reply i got was "Yes". lol
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 13 2015, 12:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Chrisdito914 @ Mar 12 2015, 05:26 PM) *

They are just waiting for sucker!

you see this every day on eBay -

$4999 buy-it-now for a $60 honda radio

$3898 for an obsolete $120 Nikon DSLR

$12500 for a $300 "rare car part"

etc etc

just do a search on anything with "price highest first"

yes - suckers who've drunk 'way too many 5ths and are joy riding eBay at 3 a.m. - you see that 914 for "1,850" instead off "18,500"

you hit "buy it now" and you own it

better hope you don't have that cash in your bank acct or available on your linked credit card -

just like Nigerian scams

and like the "guys" who offer us parts paid for by moneygram when we post WTB ads

it's the wild wild west

Right after I read your post, I noticed someone on Ebay has ONE Fuch wheel for sale for $300!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-Fu...d48&vxp=mtr
rhodyguy
3 bills plus 50 for a curbed wheel. Wtf.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.