Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Just installed a transmission

Although the selector ball on the console seems to be in neutral the car has compression drag and is turning the motor over as if it's in top gear (ie you can push the car as if in 5th)

I tried disconnecting the shift rod and moving the shift console/ball by hand also with no linkage attached.

So I believe it's internal ?
What do the experts think is going on?
JRust
Was this a known working tranny? Or a spare thats been sitting for a while. When you say you tried shifting by moving the ball itself. Did it feel normal with all movement? Feel like it is going into any of the gears? Before it went in did everything seem normal. Sounds like it is stuck in gear to me. I'd pull the gear selector to see if the shift forks are properly aligned & look right. Don'y forget to drain the tranny or it will be messy evilgrin.gif
JStroud
If it's the transmission brant got from me, it was a spare transmission I had that was rebuilt at the Dr Evil clinic at Original Customs, never been in a car since rebuilt, but was turning freely and going through the gears by hand.

Is there a clinic warranty. confused24.gif
messix
remove shifter console on tranny and look up in the tranny and make sure all the shift rod gates are lined up and re install console
messix
remove shifter console on tranny and look up in the tranny and make sure all the shift rod gates are lined up and re install console
messix
messix
messix
messix
yes thats right.... do it five times screwy.gif
brant
At the shift console it shifts nicely into all of the gears

I'll pull the console next and look
brant
Update.
I was not able to get the console out. It pulls down about an inch but does not drop far enough to clear the studs and tip. I believe it is engaged with a shift rod keeping it from dropping the last half inch. Something is holding it

I tried reinserting the console and changing the gear then attempting to take it out but was even less successful to drop the console. So even in the "neutral" position something is interfering. 2 gears at once?

I've pulled consoles before and realize they have to tip to come out. But this one won't clear the studs to set up the tip.

I would love advice on how to pull the stack enough to allow me to manipulate the shift rods so that I can free the console ?

Or if there is a better way ?
messix
ruh roh scooby ! shades.gif
Dr Evil
It would appear that the console was inserted BEFORE the 5th rod was placed back in neutral. Not to big a PITA.

Here is what to do:
- Push the roll pin out of the end of the shifter ball on outside part of the shifter.
- Remove ball.
- Drop shifter console part off of the shaft.
- Wiggle the left over shaft out of the case.
- Reach in and click the shift rod for 4/5 back into neutral. Usually a long screwdriver helps. I have pics on my post in the vendors section (link below) of what it should look like.

Then, you just reassemble the shift console and install like usual. No need to change the O-ring or the rod seal.

Clear as mud?

BTW, I did not install that console.....just sayin wink.gif
brant
That makes sense. I will try to press the pin out with a c-clamp

Mike. Will the shift forks alignment be ok when I get the console free and pop the rod back? Or should I expect to pull the stack and realign?

Dr Evil
Yup, I did the alignment. It is just in 5th because after the stack was put in it was not reset to neutral which is a step I instruct but do not do as it is not hard, as you will see. The alignment is critical and I check everyone before the stack goes into the box.
brant
Awesome

Can't wait to drive it!
stownsen914
I did a sloppy job once on the fork alignment, and the car was popping out of 4th gear. Pulled it apart again and redid the alignment, and all set after that. Needless to say, I'm more careful since then ...
Dr Evil
I will bet you the alignment is spot on. It is stuck in 5th because it was not placed back into neutral before the shift console was installed and now the console is stuck (happens often when people do not follow my instructions; dont put into gear with console in, dont forget to put in neutral before installing console).
brant
Another success story. Hank you all and thank you mike also.
Neutral is back!
Dr Evil
Cool, man smile.gif
JRust
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 15 2015, 05:14 PM) *

Another success story. Hank you all and thank you mike also.
Neutral is back!

Woohoo! I'll see you in Vegas for the Caravan down to route 66 piratenanner.gif
JStroud
Glad it worked out, Dr Evil to the rescue again. beerchug.gif
Awesome you'll make your trip... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.