Full Version: buying a walmart battery ,please advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo
Finally gonna bite the bullet and ditch the optima red top pos

I'm going to get something at Wal-Mart but not sure what spec s
Or battery the car needs
And tech support at Wal-Mart is non existent

All I know is that I need side posts

But what cold cranking amps etc do I look for ?

beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The stock battery is a Group 42, and it does NOT have "side posts". You REALLY expect help at Walmart?

The Cap'n
dave29
I buy all my Porsche batteries at Wallmart. Save about $150 on a GT3 battery and they're the same specs as the factory batteries.
Elliot Cannon
I will never EVER shop at WallMart. EVER!!!
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 12 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Too much spandex for you? biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
For me it's the nauseating cheap plastic smell. Combine that with the food smell from mcdonalds and it's gonna puke city. I've been in a walmart exactly one time. I was buying cheap plastic totes for some dr evil trans parts. That's where I was instructed to shop.
thelogo
Can I just buy anything with side post ?????

And it will work ?
thelogo
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2015, 09:43 AM) *

The stock battery is a Group 42, and it does NOT have "side posts". You REALLY expect help at Walmart?

The Cap'n

Well mine is in the stock he'll hole location but is configured for side post only

So what group should I get
patssle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 12 2015, 11:49 AM) *

I agree. Except....but....Mobil1 oil is so much cheaper there!
Porschef
I go to WM for three or four things. Pet needs, Mobil1 0w-40 for the TDI, bird seed, and batteries. They're made by Johnson Controls here in the US. Cheap. Slap a Battery Tender on it and it's fine. It's not a sealed unit though.

Oh wait, one more thing. If'n you like bloody marys, they carry a brand called Zing Zang. No need to add more than a celery stick and vodka and have at it... biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 12 2015, 02:02 PM) *
Well mine is in the stock he'll hole location but is configured for side post only

So your battery isn't in the battery tray? It's sitting down in the actual hell hole, or you're just saying that it is in the tray up above the hell hole?

If it's in the tray, there's no specific reason to be using side posts. If your wiring has all been changed to use them, then you may have to go with those, but that's not what it used originally.

The stock battery size is Group 42. The minimum CCA required for a 914 is less than pretty much any reasonably-sized battery that they make nowadays. But more is nice, and doesn't generally hurt.

Basically, you just want something that fits and hooks up.

--DD
thelogo
Yeh in tray atop hell hole
thelogo
So anything with side post that fits
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 12 2015, 03:06 PM) *

I go to WM for three or four things. Pet needs, Mobil1 0w-40 for the TDI, bird seed, and batteries. They're made by Johnson Controls here in the US. Cheap. Slap a Battery Tender on it and it's fine. It's not a sealed unit though.

Oh wait, one more thing. If'n you like bloody marys, they carry a brand called Zing Zang. No need to add more than a celery stick and vodka and have at it... biggrin.gif

TDis use 5w40. I avoid Walmart because or philosophical and moral reasons. I refuse to line the pockets of the richest family in the world at the expense of what is probably the lowest paid and most mistreated group of workers in the developed world. I have no idea how the inside of their stores smell.

The Cap'n
Johny Blackstain
I buy my Hanes underwear @ Walmart & use an Optima in my teeners. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Wall Mart is the DEVIL

And the optima's I've had issues with 2 in the last year. Something about moving their production facility to Mexico. Q/C when way down. Fortunately the shop I bought it from was able to return both, he recommended I avoid that brand.

Kind of looks like in true Wall mart fashion they forced the manufacturer to get better pricing for them and quality suffered.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2015, 03:59 PM) *

TDis use 5w40. I avoid Walmart because or philosophical and moral reasons. I refuse to line the pockets of the richest family in the world at the expense of what is probably the lowest paid and most mistreated group of workers in the developed world. I have no idea how the inside of their stores smell.

The Cap'n

This is one of the most propagated myths out there. Walmart is one of the largest employers in the country, and they treat their workers well. I know because I used to be one of them. I worked at Sam's during college. They have generous benefits including stock ownership plans and profit sharing. I made $7/hour back in the early '90s - far more than minimum wage, or any other part-time gig I could find at the time.

I shop there and Sam's often. I have never, ever encountered an associate who did not seem glad to be there. If it were such a sweat-shop, why do they typically have thousands of applications when a new store opens with only 500 job openings?

Why has this myth been thrust upon us? Because Walmart is not unionized. Why is it not unionized? Because the vast majority of the workforce realizes they have it pretty good and know that a union would ruin it.

Yes, they sell stuff made in China. So does virtually every other retailer. It is impossible not to in this day and age. I can assure you that every one of their competitors has as similar percentage of foreign made products.

As for the wealth of the Walton family, why shouldn't they be wealthy? There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a lot of money if it is legitimately earned or inherited. I don't know many people who wouldn't want to be rich themselves. I personally really appreciate most wealthy people because they tend to employ a lot of people and buy a lot of things that stimulate the economy. Who here has ever worked for a poor man?

So, not to totally hi-jack the thread, the link below has all of the BCI group sizes. You should be able to find something that is sized close to the 42 with side terminals. Oh yeah, one of my duties at Sam's was selling batteries.

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm
914_teener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2015, 04:59 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif +1

I won't even buy toilet paper there.
boxsterfan
If Wal Mart started manufacturing brand new 914's, I still wouldn't shop there.
DBCooper
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 13 2015, 09:57 AM) *

+3, goes for me and my whole family.
Big Len
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 12 2015, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2015, 03:59 PM) *

The Cap'n

This is one of the most propagated myths out there. Walmart is one of the largest employers in the country, and they treat their workers well. I know because I used to be one of them. I worked at Sam's during college. They have generous benefits including stock ownership plans and profit sharing. I made $7/hour back in the early '90s - far more than minimum wage, or any other part-time gig I could find at the time.

I shop there and Sam's often. I have never, ever encountered an associate who did not seem glad to be there. If it were such a sweat-shop, why do they typically have thousands of applications when a new store opens with only 500 job openings?

Why has this myth been thrust upon us? Because Walmart is not unionized. Why is it not unionized? Because the vast majority of the workforce realizes they have it pretty good and know that a union would ruin it.

Yes, they sell stuff made in China. So does virtually every other retailer. It is impossible not to in this day and age. I can assure you that every one of their competitors has as similar percentage of foreign made products.

As for the wealth of the Walton family, why shouldn't they be wealthy? There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a lot of money if it is legitimately earned or inherited. I don't know many people who wouldn't want to be rich themselves. I personally really appreciate most wealthy people because they tend to employ a lot of people and buy a lot of things that stimulate the economy. Who here has ever worked for a poor man?

So, not to totally hi-jack the thread, the link below has all of the BCI group sizes. You should be able to find something that is sized close to the 42 with side terminals. Oh yeah, one of my duties at Sam's was selling batteries.

I couldn't agree more. Some of the best prices on name brand merchandise anywhere. Food, TVs, auto products, office supplies. When you ask a Walmart person where an item is, they don't tell you, they lead you to where it is. And one of the best return policies of any retailer.

Just don't go there Black Friday.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 12 2015, 07:38 PM) *

agree.gif

Walmart is not the right answer for every town or every location, but they put one up in Epping NH maybe 10 years ago.

Before that Epping had a few already dying mom and pop stores that didn’t pay well, had no benefits and no chance for advancement.

It was a working class town with very few jobs.

Now besides the Walmart that has all of those things there is also a Lowes, a strip mall with good stores, a big movie theatre, good restaurants and a huge Market Basket grocery store.

Now thanks to Walmart getting it all going, Epping has thousands of jobs, benefits, career paths, business taxes to the town and state and a ready and willing local work force.

I just don’t see the down side in this case.

914_teener
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 12 2015, 01:34 PM) *

For me it's the nauseating cheap plastic smell. Combine that with the food smell from mcdonalds and it's gonna puke city. I've been in a walmart exactly one time. I was buying cheap plastic totes for some dr evil trans parts. That's where I was instructed to shop.

You can get the same ones at Home Depot btw Kevin....

Bout the same price.
bandjoey
Gotta say its ok to shop there. ( oh no I like mcd's too!)
Every where u shop it's the same basic Chinese goods. I bought a battery for the teener there about 4 years ago. I keep the trickle charger (from of all placed HF!) and it's never failed to start. In a big metro area I don't think they cause small shops to close.
Each to his or her own.

Now. Back to batteries.....
Spoke
I shop at Walmart for things but when they wanted to build one about 1/2 mile from my house in the 'burbs, several neighbors and I tried to fight the land development.

Got some lawyers involved; took them to court for a few items on the land development.

I ran for township supervisor and won; as one of 3 township supervisors in North Whitehall Township, I ended up approving the Walmart land development. dry.gif

Still a couple of issues with the land;

1) The ground is laced with arsenic from years of being an apple orchard. Eradication of the arsenic would be necessary.
2) The water supply is not strong enough for sprinkler systems; they would have to erect a water tower on-site.
3) The township still hasn't approved the poop plant necessary to handle the development. A whole another group of residents is fighting the placement of the poop plant near their homes.

Couple the land issues with the fact that the nearest WM 4 miles away was leveled and rebuilt as a Super WM and the nearby Target has eroded their clientele base; its been 9 years since they bought the property and it's still a beautiful field.

Oh, and BTW, the township, the state, and township residents paid for a 2 lane road to be expanded to 5 lanes in front of this field. The overages on the road work will cost the township residents 1/2 mill tax increase for 10 years. Such is the high cost of low prices.

Back to the topic, if the batteries at WM are good deals, buy them. smile.gif
stugray
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 13 2015, 01:11 PM) *

Such is the high cost of low prices.

But if the walmart were to start operating, what is the estimate for additional tax revenue to the county?
My guess is that it would offset the additional taxes required to build the road by 1000X or more....

I use walmart for: everyday electronics (cheaper than best buy) or kitchen supplies (cheaper than all the surrounding grocery stores), Medicine & prescriptions (cheaper than Walgreens OR my Health Provider).
I never buy produce or meat from them (lower quality and all from out of state).

I will buy tires for my car hauler and have them AND the 914 mounted there next week.
My son works at Discount Tire, but I will still go to Walmart - they are cheaper EVEN WITH his discount.
DBCooper
Also won't eat at McDonalds, buy from AA, or eat Velveeta "cheese". Free country, right?

914_teener
I would consider buying Johnnies Cat litter at Wallmart....they sell cheap cat litter there.

....but not a battery....nope no battery.

Costco makes a good one. I have one in my GMC 1/2 ton. 5 years now. Costco makes great batteries.
wes
I can vouch for the cat litter its gonna stink anyway!
URY914
I've bought my share of batteries at Wally World but no more. Walmart vendors are forced to manufacture lower grade products in order to be allowed to sell at WM and other box stores. WM says you need to sell us your product at $x or will go find someone else that will. They leverage everything. The batteries are not the same.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2015, 07:59 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Largest part time work force in the world, all with no benefits.
Largest employer in the United states.
thelogo
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-78AGM-Profes...y/dp/B00LCFHMNU

Anyone seen this

At 145 bucks it seems reasonable

Apparently the dapo

Converted to side post in order to use group 75 batteries

This is a group 78?

Will it work on a 914 standard batt tray ???? beer3.gif
thelogo
My neighbor swears by ac delco sealed batteries

His 68 396 el Camino always takes like10-15 seconds of cranking
To fire up so he says battery is always strong

I think he's on the 20 k mile oil change interval stirthepot.gif
Johny Blackstain
Are DETA batteries available in the US? Just found out they're still in business & make drycells (gel). I'd love to find a DETA drycell for my LE, since it came with a DETA originally.
botoo
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 13 2015, 12:38 PM) *

Too bad, it's your loss, not theirs.
Front yard mechanic
Walmart buys batteries by the pallet so great prices but they also sit in the store 2 years before you buy them just ask how many new ones come back sheeplove.gif
Keyser Sose
QUOTE(botoo @ Jun 4 2017, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 13 2015, 12:38 PM) *

Too bad, it's your loss, not theirs.

Not their loss? They don't want my money? Of COURSE they do, so their loss not mine.

Keith914
Seriously consider a dry cell battery.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jun 4 2017, 11:06 AM) *

Walmart buys batteries by the pallet so great prices but they also sit in the store 2 years before you buy them just ask how many new ones come back sheeplove.gif

Go to the more popular store with a service center. I bought a battery with this months date, which is normal volume for this SW. Gold top made by Johnson Controls, which is one of the better manufacturers.
I've had good luck with Duralast Gold, but at $40 more, same crappy new 3 year warranty, couldn't justify it. The previous 8 year warranty was great... and was sold a replacement for the 7 year ago price smile.gif
thelogo
I like the idea of dry cells keith
But after my last optima got completely
Discharged, i never could get it back to life and it wasn't cheap either

I got a bat from kmart , die hard .
Sealed ,its been pretty great
Was about 85 bucks .

Same thing they sell at sears for 125
Costco and innerstate would have been cheaper
But i dont like the whole re man thing poke.gif
mepstein
I've been buying batteries at our local tri state battery store. They are the people who rebuild our alternators and starters. I don't know how the battery prices compare to the big box stores but they provide incredible service every time I'm there. They talk way over my head but then dumb it down for me and get me what I want. Worth every penny in my world.

For example - early 911's had 2 small batteries that fit in two small battery boxes. I want to only use one small battery to start car. Most other places tell me I need to special order an $800 battery. They find me one (in stock) with the correct cold crank amps for $160.

I send them a 911 alternator (a member here) some parts are nla so they referbish the existing parts in the $75 range.

We all want to save a buck or 2 but making good relationships can be invaluable.
Garland
Motorcraft $129.95 7 year warr, pro rated. Peal the sticker off the side, add a stock battery cover. Very stock look.
thelogo
QUOTE(Garland @ Jun 4 2017, 03:14 PM) *

Motorcraft $129.95 7 year warr, pro rated. Peal the sticker off the side, add a stock battery cover. Very stock look.

You forgot to mention where you got it ?
Rockaria
This is how I see those people who say they will never walk into a Walmart EVER! dry.gif

Click to view attachment

To Keep on topic. The Walmart batteries are very good and on a road trip they will replace it ANYWHERE if you have a problem.
Walmart battery in the BMW, Optima Red top in the 914.

Enough said!
Keyser Sose
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Jun 5 2017, 09:40 AM) *

This is how I see those people who say they will never walk into a Walmart EVER!

Enough said!

And how do you see people who walk into Walmart ALWAYS? confused24.gif

IPB Image

Endless examples of Walmart Flora and Fauna

Fact is that Walmart batteries are perfectly fine, and no different than Sears, Kmart or Costco batteries, just the company itself that's distasteful. Distasteful to me, anyway.

I know you'll never be able to unsee that, and I'm sorry, so enough said now?

914_teener
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Jun 5 2017, 09:40 AM) *

This is how I see those people who say they will never walk into a Walmart EVER! dry.gif

Click to view attachment

To Keep on topic. The Walmart batteries are very good and on a road trip they will replace it ANYWHERE if you have a problem.
Walmart battery in the BMW, Optima Red top in the 914.

Enough said!

And the Walton family will make their employees deliver it to you on their way home.
fixer34
Mine still works...Click to view attachment
Frankvw
That is because it is a 9/14 battery !! smile.gif
NoEcm
I still have my JC Penney lifetime battery although it's been replaced by Firestone several times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.