Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima red top battery, sorry I know old thread!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
I repaired the hell hole all new paint, new engine is in and have planed to use the red top Optima battery. Now seems they don't make one for the 914 though, Ive read of people using them so I did a search on it and see some placed in the front, some in the rear trunk, I want it on my new battery shelf, stock position so is this a problem as I really can't see the problem though before I spend $$,, headbang.gif lack of experience has me help!
somd914

I run a side post Optima - sorry on the road and don't have model number. It will soon be replaced by an Odyssey... Do a search on Redtops - you might change your mind.
GeorgeRud
A size 34 fits perfectly, but the terminals are reversed. A 34R has the terminals in the correct position, but needs to have the side hold-down lips trimmed off to fit. Then, I fabricated a slightly longer hold-down clamp to better secure the battery.

I had great luck with the Optimas originally, but not so good with my last one, so I went back to a regular Interstate bettery and a battery mat under it.
wes
Thanks the Odyssey looks to be acid free and thats what I am looking for, I just want to keep from doing rust repair do to acid spill or vapor.
Any specific model #?
somd914
PC925 is common. Keep in mind this is not a battery to run a stereo from with engine off - more of a dependable starting battery but not large capacity. Also there are an assortment of mounting brackets available from $45 to well above $100 - Google them.
saigon71
I run an Optima 34 (not the "R") because I roll with the factory rain tray and wanted the posts outboard (the posts hit the rain tray with the 34R). Fits like a glove in the stock battery tray. I've heard that quality is now a problem, but it hasn't caused me any grief yet.
turk22
agree.gif

I just bought the 34R, and it just contacts the rain tray, and causes some issues with closing the engine cover.
It will close, but the rain tray is touching the top of the battery, and the right side of the engine cover is not flush with the trunk.

Little pissed actually, but I'll figure something out....
SirAndy
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 13 2015, 02:52 PM) *

I run an Optima 34 (not the "R") because I roll with the factory rain tray and wanted the posts outboard (the posts hit the rain tray with the 34R). Fits like a glove in the stock battery tray. I've heard that quality is now a problem, but it hasn't caused me any grief yet.

agree.gif

Same here, the + cables fit fine and i just got a longer - cable ...
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.