Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug rear conversion question -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I've read the threads but I'm still a bit confused. Can I use 944 hubs, stubs and cv's or just the 944 cv's with 911 hubs and stubs?

This setup is going on my suby conversion car. I'm using a suby trans so the inside cv's and trans stubs will be suby and coldwater conversion axles will connect to the outer stubs.

Thanks, mark
Luke M
I'm going to run and currently have all the parts on hand.
911 early 69-73 rear hubs, you can use the later hubs but need a 5 mm spacer, 911 100 mm 6 bolt stub axle, 944 6 bolt 100 mm cv joints, modified 914 axle or new sway away axle, inner cv depends on what trans, I have the 100 mm course spline trans flanges. True 5 lug bolt on setup.
914Sixer
You can only use the late 944 stubs. You will have to have a spacer ring made up to make it fit up to a 911 rear hub. See info in Classic Section on axles
mepstein
I've already purchased an early 911 setup for my GT car. I'm not really getting the 944 thing. It still seems pretty easy to find reasonably priced 911 parts so why mess around with spacers.
okieflyr
I'm using 944 CV's with my 73-75? stubs and no spacer.
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2015, 05:26 PM) *

I've already purchased an early 911 setup for my GT car. I'm not really getting the 944 thing. It still seems pretty easy to find reasonably priced 911 parts so why mess around with spacers.

There's no spacers needed unless you go with the later 911 outer hubs.
Forget the 944 parts at the wheel end just use the 911 parts that you have.
Just get some custom sway away axles or other manufacturer. Get the inner cv's to mate your Suby trans flanges and outer cv's (100 or 108 mm) to a 911 stub. Bolt it all together and be done with it.

My setup uses the 100 mm 944 cv joints only as shown in the drawing.
Everything else is 911/914 parts.

The other pic shows a later 911 hub and the spacer that's needed between the hub and bearing.
mepstein
Thanks for the explanation.

Why use 944 cv's instead of 911.
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2015, 07:57 PM) *

Thanks for the explanation.

Why use 944 cv's instead of 911.

The 944 cv joints (early or late I forget now) have the same spline count as the 914 axle. You could use the 911 cv's just the expense of buying a custom axle to mate it all up. To modify a 914 axle is easy for a machine shop. They did mine while I waited too maybe 40 mins or so. Seeing how you are going with a Suby trans you need custom axles anyways. Just get the right spline combo for the inner/outer cv's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.