Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Re-assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehokana
Hey guys, I have found myself considering a few options and was hoping for some advice. About a year ago I started the tear-down on my '73 for a complete rebuild restoration. Long story short, I am about to get the car back from paint and, while my original intent was to have the shop that did the motor rebuild put the car back together, I am questioning that now. I have no issues with the shop and would trust them with anything (especially since the mechanic working on my car is a 914 guy himself), however the sheer number of hours that I would be paying for is making me wonder if it would be better to just do the re-assembly myself. I know that re-assembly would likely run near 150 hours (I'm sure you can figure the amount, even with the reduced rate that the shop owner has promised me).

Anyway, can anyone offer some insight? Any important tricks or tips? I know these cars were basically built with hand tools and are not terribly complicated- especially since mine is carb'd and the motor is already reinstalled. I also know the heater controls will be a b***h and the headlight assembly will likely be the same. How long should I expect the re-assembly to take being done after work and on weekends, and is it a task that is relatively doable for someone who has wrenched a bit before? I'm a bit worried about this becoming a never ending project- I mean, more than 914's tend to be by nature. av-943.gif Though, getting to know the car inside and out would certainly be beneficial.

Is there anyone in the SoCal area that would be willing to lend a desperately needed hand if I decide to do the re-assembly myself? Any assistance would certainly help, and I would be more than willing to repay with bbq and an open beer fridge beerchug.gif

Thanks in advance
eyesright
Wow, many know the feeling, "its not that hard, can I get this done this winter in time for Spring....?" which turns into still working on it thru the next winter...

But its like eating the 72 OZ steak in Amarillo,...one bite at a time.

If money is no object and you have other things to do, like long work hours, family fun, watching golf on TV, then turn it over to the shop with a guaranteed pick up in 2 months and stop by every week to make sure its getting done.

But if TV golf is too exciting for you and you enjoy overcoming endless frustration even more than the finished product, then this 914 was a good choice.

How far was it torn down? The trick is to pick one chore and get it done completely. That's the one bite at a time approach.

So, install the wiring harness and repair each frayed end and clean each ground and scrape off any old paint on the insulation. Once that's done, decide if its now going to the shop after all or pick the next project like install the headlights and horn(s). That will give you the satisfaction of following up on the wiring harness and finishing up one end of the car with an easy install of the bumper.

Then take on some major chore that won't give you the same feeling because its out of sight but needs to get done...install the steering maybe or add the front sway bar that you wanted...something that's a definite project but can be completed.

Then move farther back. When you tackle a bigger project like the cowl and tank well, or the interior, you have to break it down into several individual projects. Otherwise it will intimidate you into procrastinating. In the interior, take the easy jobs first...maybe install the bolsters, something you can accomplish in an evening session that will make it look like you are making progress. Get those easier things done before tackling the dash....Same with the tank well. Install/move the fuel pump. Then you are done with that. Then the wiper motor and its done....

A danger is to pick a task just because its easy even though it is out of sequence. If you install the hood and trunk lids it will look good and give you a cheap feel good but you'll wind up taking them back off because they get in the way and will get scratched. Leave the hood in the barn, out of sight.

Managing yourself by understanding your frustration level will make it happen.

Remember each half hour job will take two hours, especially on the first one.

My -6 conversion has been sitting for several months now, very close to being done. Somehow some woodworking projects have grabbed me. Did I mention I brought it home from the body shop two years ago?

Good luck...and add photos to the forum. That definitely helps the frustration level.
Mike Bellis
Schedule a BBQ build party and put the word out. If there is beer, pizza and a 914, they will come...

Just give enough notice, say 30 days or so.
JRust
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 14 2015, 07:07 AM) *

Schedule a BBQ build party and put the word out. If there is beer, pizza and a 914, they will come...

Just give enough notice, say 30 days or so.

agree.gif Always up for a work party. Get a couple teeners together & you get a lot accomplished. Reassembly isn't that bad if you have everything there. Setup the build party & make sure to have everything for what you want to accomplish. Nothing kills the build mode like missing some critical parts, seals or bushings.
'73-914kid
Where in Socal?

All I need is a week advance for a weekend. Headlight assemblies go pretty quick once you know the order that things have to be assembled. None of things you have listed are terribly difficult for a decent wrench. Just be aware that you may have to take things apart once or twice after installing them.. just happens. haha

And if there's a BBQ going, with some cold beer within reach, I'm there...
Old Yella
Where exactly are you?
ehokana
I' m in Upland. Once I get the car back, I'd appreciate any help that I could get- I'm dying to get this thing back on the road already

Thanks Ethan- I'm hoping mine turns out half as nice as yours did
Blue6
Limited expertise, but willing to help. Just let us know when..
Old Yella
Hi
Closest I'll get is this. But there must be a lot of Porsche freaks attending and living in your vicinity.

Don't miss the Festival of Speed 2015

presented by Porsche of San Diego

The Largest Porsche Event in the Southwest

April 10-12, 2015 9 AM - 5 PM

Auto Club Speedway
9300 Cherry Avenue, Fontana, CA 92335
'73-914kid
QUOTE(ehokana @ Mar 14 2015, 10:07 PM) *

I' m in Upland. Once I get the car back, I'd appreciate any help that I could get- I'm dying to get this thing back on the road already

Thanks Ethan- I'm hoping mine turns out half as nice as yours did

Upland? Shoot, we could start Saturday morning, work though tell night, and have you up on top of GMR by Sunday evenIng. Haha

Seriously though, Upland is super close to me. We've done a 914 build day once before in Rancho Cucamonga with Dave's old car, and that was awesome. I know a fair number if 914 guys that we could drum up for a build bbq.
ehokana
Ethan- I'm about five blocks over from Cesar ad I think he told me about that build before. I appreciate it man, I'll let you know the ETA for the car when I talk to my paint guys this week.

Thanks guys- certainly one thing I've always liked about the 914 community; everyone is always willing to lend a hand or help in any way. I definitely appreciate it
sixaddict
so much collective wisdom here ....agree on many fronts but of course will add:
1. Always easier to disassemble than put back together ( just like humpty dumpty and figure all the kings men will be drinking beer !)
2. Damn bags of labeled parts seem to mate in the dark
3. farm out the really hard things ( requiring skill)
4. find a really good psychiatrist before installing dashboard.
I'm a little far for helping but I'll be sharing your pain !
biggrin.gif
914_teener
I can help....needs to be in early April.

I am in Glendora.

Ceasar......you know that guy? laugh.gif
PanelBilly
A huge amount of time can be lost re-furbishing every little part. It get difficult to attach something that looks worn or just dirty to the fresh paint.
ehokana
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 15 2015, 04:10 AM) *

so much collective wisdom here ....agree on many fronts but of course will add:
1. Always easier to disassemble than put back together ( just like humpty dumpty and figure all the kings men will be drinking beer !)
2. Damn bags of labeled parts seem to mate in the dark
3. farm out the really hard things ( requiring skill)
4. find a really good psychiatrist before installing dashboard.
I'm a little far for helping but I'll be sharing your pain !
biggrin.gif

Perhaps I should be worried that what I save doing it in my garage will be spent on a psychiatrist then? av-943.gif Still I originally planned to do all of this work myself, but school didn't allow it- it's nice to be back to having time for this project
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.