Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1969 road & track magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ein 6er
while at the 24 hrs of daytona i bought a few old r & t magazines with 914 content.

in the summer of '69 the author visited zuffenhausen where he was shown what he desrcibed as a "prototype" 914-6.
ein 6er
pg. 1
ein 6er
pg. 2
ein 6er
pg. 3
Curvie Roadlover
Doug, thanks for scanning and posting. Pretty cool. smilie_pokal.gif
Thank you rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
Do you think this is our beloved #4? unsure.gif
skline
Yeah, that was pretty cool, The article was not quite as accurate as history took the car, but good insight though on what they had originally planned.
JohnM
Great find. Thanks for sharing. John
maf914
Doug,

Thanks for posting the article. I have that magazine stored away in a box somewhere, with all of the other valuable stuff! laugh.gif

I was at the Daytona 24 last weekend also. I spent all day Friday in the infield and paddock. Did most of my race viewing Saturday and Sunday from the grandstand. I didn't see you or your car this time. sad.gif

The renovation of the infield was kind of interesting. Years ago in my younger days I used to camp in the infield. Now it looks like they want to turn the infield into a giant mega-buck RV park and squeeze the traditional camper/party people out. They call it the Fan Zone, but I think it's really intended for the million dollar RV owners. laugh.gif Oh well, there's money out there to be taken I guess.
Bleyseng
Nope it not #4.
ein 6er
this is from a '69 car & driver. it's at the '69 frankfurt auto show.

check out the funky wheels, they look like hub caps on steel wheels.

ein 6er
anybody know where i can get the license plate mount?
ein 6er
text
Gustl
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Feb 12 2005, 04:11 PM)
check out the funky wheels, they look like hub caps on steel wheels.

these are steel wheels with fuchs-lookalike-hubcabs

look at the Brian Long book:
This pre-production four cylinder car tried some Fuchs-style hubcaps. Unfortunately, the idea was not carried over to the production vehicles, presumably on the grounds of added expense.

ejm
These are the steel wheels they used wink.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (ejm @ Feb 12 2005, 05:04 PM)
These are the steel wheels they used wink.gif

so, if anybody has a set of these steel wheels laying around, I'd be interested laugh.gif
jd74914
look at the Brian Long book:

This pre-production four cylinder car tried some Fuchs-style hubcaps. Unfortunately, the idea was not carried over to the production vehicles, presumably on the grounds of added expense.

My dad's 914 in the '70s had the fuchs hubcaps biggrin.gif , and he got them for free because someguy didn't like how they looked and wanted the original hub caps laugh.gif
Gint
Thanks Doug!
ein 6er
mike,

i was only there sat., sorry i missed you. yeah, they make more $ from rv parking so they will try to get as many as those in there as they can!! interesting with the showers, now all the drunks can take cold showers and sober up!! laugh.gif

Air_Cooled_Nut
Here's a book I highly recommend if you're into magazine reviews:
Front cover...
Air_Cooled_Nut
...and back cover:
Air_Cooled_Nut
The back cover is a copy of the table of contents. The ISBN number is on the lower right corner if one wanted to search for a copy. I got mine at a VW show/swap meet from a local guy who sells vintage automobile, uh, documents and books.
ein 6er
cool!! thanks toby!!

that looks like #4 on the cover!!
Sammy
Hay, that's my car! The author of that book stole it from me and I want it back! wink.gif wacko.gif
Bleyseng
Thats what #4 looked like before Andy drove it....
brownaar
Those "steel" wheels in EJM's post. Aren't those actually the Mahle "gasburner" alloys?

idea.gif
xitspd
Thank you very much for the post! Excellent....
Root_Werks
What a great way to start a Monday. Thanks for sharing the magizine articles folks! I love the history. smilie_pokal.gif
mikey
Those "steel" wheels in EJM's post. Aren't those actually the Mahle "gasburner" alloys?

Yep, those are Mahle Gas-Burners. I have a set that I plan on using on my 914-6. They're magnesium I think and they are the lightest wheels Porsche ever used.

Gustl
QUOTE (mikey @ Feb 15 2005, 05:52 AM)
They're magnesium I think and they are the lightest wheels Porsche ever used.

agree.gif
Aaron Cox
how does a minilite compare to a gas burner in weight?
Gustl
don't know, but the gasburners were factory option - the minilite aftermarket
Bleyseng
I think gas burners are 11lbs each.
URY914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 14 2005, 09:48 PM)
how does a minilite compare to a gas burner in weight?

Minilights are light in name only. They are cast aluminum and not really all that light compared to the gas burners. People used the Minilights because they came in a bunch of different offsets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.