Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You Ever Brag on How Well Your Car is Running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I just hit 2000 miles this week I was bragging to Chris H. that I had 0 problem's other than a loose nut on a brake line. The very next day this "loop" on the un-used power steering pump broke. I now see that the "dead soft" aluminum tube was not a good choice. Of the 3 tubes (1 rubber, 1 copper, 1 alum) the alum is the weakest link.
It went down like this. There was a slight misalignment (appx 1mm) that the rubber hose was able to correct. Very slight tension; maybe 1/2 lb. You can see in one pic that the line made a very clean break at the outer point of the compression sleeve. The sleeve scored the alum tube, then the tension and vibrations did their magic. chair.gif Went back with a piece of copper that I annealed after flaring. We'll see how long this set up holds together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stevegm
Mine don't run right now. Nothing to brag about. :-)
Chris H.
Aw crap it never fails! I wouldn't say you were bragging, you sounded "cautiously optimistic". How come you still have that pump installed anyway? Just easier to tension the belt? Or do you have to leave it on with the EZ's? Hey let's see those Fuchs installed! poke.gif
Elliot Cannon
You put a Japanese engine in that fine German car, you will be cursed forever. happy11.gif av-943.gif
BIGKAT_83
Its easy to take that pump apart and remove the vanes. Add some oil and then just seal it off.
Easy to see what kind of work you do poke.gif

Bob
green914
unsure.gif blink.gif wacko.gif Runs great, but I always keep the trailer ready to go and fetch it. smoke.gif
76-914
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 14 2015, 07:14 PM) *

Its easy to take that pump apart and remove the vanes. Add some oil and then just seal it off.
Easy to see what kind of work you do poke.gif

Bob

You got me, Bob. I figured the steering fluid would keep it cool. I like your idea better and I know my way around pumps, so now I have some thing to do on the 914 this week. Thx for the idea, as usual.

Chris, I'll post some pic's next week after I hook up w/ Lawrence. That way I can show everything in one post.
r_towle
I though we covered this in the sandbox thread you started.
Talking about a german car is a not so smart thing to do, bragging is downright, well......stupid.

Now you have changed the space time continuum by putting a Japanese engine into an old german car, and you think that bragging about it will have no consequences?
'73-914kid
BTDT Kent. A buddy was all enthusiastic about how his Trueno Corolla was running with a fresh 20 valve 4AGE. Kept bragging about it to everyone. Went for a run up the mountain and halfway up, a valve dropped and cracked the piston in half, at 10,000 RPM. Oops..

I tend to just always say that the car runs OK when people ask, and act surprised when it [always] runs well. haha
Elliot Cannon
It won't be anything catastrophic, blown engine etc. But it will suffer the death of a thousand cuts. Broken wire, coolant leak, short circuit, weird smell inside etc. "So it is written, so it shall be". calvin.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif You car is doomed. lol-2.gif w00t.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 15 2015, 12:02 PM) *

It won't be anything catastrophic, blown engine etc. But it will suffer the death of a thousand cuts. Broken wire, coolant leak, short circuit, weird smell inside etc. "So it is written, so it shall be". calvin.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif You car is doomed. lol-2.gif w00t.gif

Yeah, those thousand cuts are hell.... and catastrophic failures of aircooled engines are SO much more satisfying!

poke.gif happy11.gif

76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2015, 09:17 AM) *

I though we covered this in the sandbox thread you started.
Talking about a german car is a not so smart thing to do, bragging is downright, well......stupid.

Now you have changed the space time continuum by putting a Japanese engine into an old german car, and you think that bragging about it will have no consequences?

I brought this stromberg.gif upon myself. I had to remove the compass as it was spinning in circles with the each cycle of the time continuum's event handler.

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 15 2015, 10:25 AM) *

BTDT Kent. A buddy was all enthusiastic about how his Trueno Corolla was running with a fresh 20 valve 4AGE. Kept bragging about it to everyone. Went for a run up the mountain and halfway up, a valve dropped and cracked the piston in half, at 10,000 RPM. Oops..

I tend to just always say that the car runs OK when people ask, and act surprised when it [always] runs well. haha

Sage advice, smarty.

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 15 2015, 12:02 PM) *

poke.gif This from a guy that just blew an engine........how long ago? lol-2.gif

So, taking Bob's advice, which I almost always do biggrin.gif , I pulled the pump. Just removed the serpentine belt then removed 2ea. 12mm bolts.
Click to view attachment

Then 4 more bolts and a rubber mallet to split the case
Click to view attachment

Removed the vanes, BTW, Holy Crap this thing is well built.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cleaned, capped off and filled with synthetic oil.

Click to view attachment

Installed and tested. Wasted 15 minutes trying to reinstall the serpentine belt from the top. Took all of 2 minutes from below. chair.gif

Click to view attachment

r_towle
Sure, blame it on the event handler, typical 21 st century excuse.

It's
Karma that you violated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.