Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield? Who Sells and Installs them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
My friend Forrest broke my windshield today while we were doing re-doing my dashboard and dash top. Who is the go-to people/person in SoCal?

Thanks. slap.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 14 2015, 09:12 PM) *

My friend Forrest broke my windshield today while we were doing re-doing my dashboard and dash top. Who is the go-to people/person in SoCal?

Thanks. slap.gif

I can't remember his name, but Jim Hoyland will.R something....
G e o r g e
Rufino. Do a search. You will find his number
KELTY360
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 14 2015, 08:12 PM) *

My friend Forrest broke my windshield today

Gump?
jack20
Just call a local glass company. They are not as rare as you would think. Should be able to get a tinted windshield installed for around $ 260. Do a forum search on butyl tape vs urethane before you schedule the installation.
Jack
Larmo63
Butyl is the recommend type of adhesive, as I recall.
bulitt
Post number 12-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=91864&hl=
Cuda911
If you can't find anyone in San Clemente area, I have a great guy I can recommend in Escondido.

Yeah, I read several threads that say butyl is the way to go.

jim_hoyland
Call Rufino at L&R Glass. He's the best 914 glass guy around So Cal. Lots of experience and good pricing.

His number :714-292-5811
bdstone914
And get new trim clips if you plan to install the original trim. Best to remove and install it your self if you don't want it all twisted. Call me and i can describe the technique.

And way to go by throwing Forrest under the bus. chair.gif
Now we all know to not let him touch our cars.
76-914
Paid $230 for mine. Still waiting on the clips from 914rubber. And a reply, I might add. Not sure if Mark has become a larger target or if customer service is indeed beginning to slip. If you find some elsewhere, LMK.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 15 2015, 11:27 AM) *

Paid $230 for mine. Still waiting on the clips from 914rubber. And a reply, I might add. Not sure if Mark has become a larger target or if customer service is indeed beginning to slip. If you find some elsewhere, LMK.

I bought some from pelican. and remember, bdstone914 - bruce stone, works there.
76-914
Thx, I'll order some from them. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
I talked to Ruffino this morning. German or Chinese glass? Big difference in price.

"I cannot tell a lie, I broke the 914 windshield."
-George Washington
flylarry
I've owned mine for 35 years and broke two windshields so far! aktion035.gif
Cuda911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 15 2015, 10:01 AM) *

I talked to Ruffino this morning. German or Chinese glass? Big difference in price.

"I cannot tell a lie, I broke the 914 windshield."
-George Washington

I say go with the Chinese. When I replaced mine, there was another guy with a 914 getting a windshield at the same time. He insisted on German glass. He paid way more for it than I did, and had to wait forever for it, and when it arrived it didn't fit. Mine's Chinese glass, with the green tint like OEM. It was available for same-day installation and it fits perfectly. I think $250 or so, installed.
Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 15 2015, 08:27 AM) *

We were back ordered but these are in. I'll follow up tomorrow. I suspect they are enroute. If so tracking to follow.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 15 2015, 07:38 PM) *
I say go with the Chinese. When I replaced mine, there was another guy with a 914 getting a windshield at the same time. He insisted on German glass. He paid way more for it than I did, and had to wait forever for it, and when it arrived it didn't fit. Mine's Chinese glass, with the green tint like OEM. It was available for same-day installation and it fits perfectly. I think $250 or so, installed.

agree.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 15 2015, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 15 2015, 08:27 AM) *

We were back ordered but these are in. I'll follow up tomorrow. I suspect they are enroute. If so tracking to follow.

Thank's Mark.
rhodyguy
I just bumped an ad for windshields in the 914 parts fs forum. Lots of info.
Larmo63
Yes, I decided to go Chinese. Ruffino sounds like he knows what is up and he can do it tomorrow.
Cuda911
^^^ The only problem with the Chinese ones is that after an hour, you want another one.
colingreene
Well thanks to Mike for making this weirder than mustang mirrors on a 914
Larmo63
QUOTE(colingreene @ Mar 16 2015, 09:19 PM) *

Well thanks to Mike for making this weirder than mustang mirrors on a 914

lol-2.gif
Cuda911
You think Vega mirrors would look better?
Larmo63
Try using 914 mirrors.
Cuda911
Now that's just crazy.
Larmo63
Still no luck on a windshield. Ruffino can only get the green top striped one. I want the regular one.

Anybody? Any leads in SoCal?
forrestkhaag
O yeah. Gump........very original.......... Brilliant! How about Run?........

And if I wanted to break Larmo's windshield, I would simply dump a 100lb sack load of shrimp on his car..... The good news is that having replaced my windshield with the correct part from the dealer, I can use my installation acumen as a barometer of correctness against this pursuit for a cheap fixe, a quick install, and all in very questionable circumstances and surroundings (Larmo's garage)...

beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
and Larmo: Having been to China 7 times in pursuit of perfection, there is none to be found - steer away from that particular product source - it is made with a sugar byproduct that reacts with water......... by melting..........
76-914
ProSource didn't have one?? They did a few weeks ago but I wanted the green band which was located in AZ. IIRC, he said he had some in the Riverside warehouse. Are you still babysitting my wheels? beerchug.gif
76-914
Get one yet?
KELTY360
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 17 2015, 03:02 PM) *

And if I wanted to break Larmo's windshield, I would simply dump a 100lb sack load of shrimp on his car..... The good news is that having replaced my windshield with the correct part from the dealer, I can use my installation acumen as a barometer of correctness against this pursuit for a cheap fixe, a quick install, and all in very questionable circumstances and surroundings (Larmo's garage)...

beerchug.gif

lol-2.gif Apologies, I'll try to be more creative in the future.

idea.gif Do you realize that the 914 is like a box of chocolates...........?
bandjoey
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 17 2015, 06:02 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Aahhhhhhhhhh? blink.gif yes to a beer though.
ndfrigi
Rufino will be installing my windshield soon, I'm just waiting for my windshield chrome trim clip, corner chrome trim and windshield to dash seal that I ordered from Mark (914rubber). I already removed the broken windshield and the trim clips and cleaned the windshield frame since last week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.