Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Don't know for sure but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161633661077?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
stevegm
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 15 2015, 12:17 AM) *

Ya maybe. Worth a look.
Larmo63
Grass Hopper?
messix
i like the front valance
dudzy's914
it is within the LE vin # range! idea.gif it's hard to know if it is all matching numbers though. Somebody close should take a look a close look.
Dave_Darling
"Uh, I think so Brain, but how are we gonna teach a goat to dance with flippers on?"
r_towle
It stinks that they stopped putting the location on eBay.
Larmo63
Ad says Wallingford, Pennsylvania.
Johny Blackstain
Gold letters across the engine grill is telling my gut no, it's not bumblicious. Like to get a closer look @ the center gauges to see if they're original & just put into a different plate to make room for the AC.

edit- they're not original center console gauges so I really doubt it's a bee. Looks nice though.
balljoint
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 15 2015, 11:51 AM) *

"Uh, I think so Brain, but how are we gonna teach a goat to dance with flippers on?"

slap.gif

It was slippers. And you weren't supposed to say anything.
budk
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2015, 12:09 PM) *

It stinks that they stopped putting the location on eBay.

It's there... just harder to find than it used to be.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 15 2015, 12:20 PM) *
Gold letters across the engine grill is telling my gut no, it's not bumblicious. Like to get a closer look @ the center gauges to see if they're original & just put into a different plate to make room for the AC.

edit- they're not original center console gauges so I really doubt it's a bee. Looks nice though.

But... the heat control lever is the one used with center console cars so at one point, the car most likely had a center console. The temp and volt gauges are original. The middle gauge - not.
Gold letters were from earlier years, yes? confused24.gif Looks like someone put together a nice custom 914.

If it is a BB, besides paint, any distinguishing markers are no longer present. I am with Blackstain - doubtful it is a bee sad.gif

driving.gif
messix
fog lights missing
rgalla9146
I spoke to someone who was at the car today.
It has a chrome spare wheel.
Paint code is L041
Has carbs.
No evidence of stripes under paint.
Battery tray and support probably replaced. Ruddy red primer showing through, otherwise right side looks good including jack receiver. That is, it looks pretty good without being there to remove the rocker.
It has black squirters and black trim on sails, but sail trim is repainted.
No evidence of filled trim holes at lower edge of sail panel.
Build date 2 - 74
No COA
What else ?
GaroldShaffer
Some call PCA with the vin, they will give you a verbal if it is a LE
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 16 2015, 03:20 PM) *

Some call PCA with the vin, they will give you a verbal if it is a LE

agree.gif
VaccaRabite
The seller is now referring to it as an LE in his ad. Says yellow paint was found in the door jams.

Zach
Johny Blackstain
I seriously doubt this is an LE. As pointed out already, gold engine grille letters, no fogs, black (not grey) headlight motor covers, not quite right center gauges. I know all these items are "bolt on", but to go so much effort to hide it's an LE is too much for me. Why would you replace an NLA LE front spoiler with that one? A closer inspection would reveal much more (I'd look for stock factory sway bars both front & rear). Also, why would there be yellow paint on the door jamb? Only thing yellow there should be the tops of the rockers. As an LE owner myself it's simple- you own an LE you get a COA saying so.
CptTripps
The tweeter position in the doors is classically bad!
poorsche914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 17 2015, 10:03 AM) *

I seriously doubt this is an LE. As pointed out already, gold engine grille letters, no fogs, black (not grey) headlight motor covers, not quite right center gauges. I know all these items are "bolt on", but to go so much effort to hide it's an LE is too much for me. Why would you replace an NLA LE front spoiler with that one? A closer inspection would reveal much more (I'd look for stock factory sway bars both front & rear). Also, why would there be yellow paint on the door jamb? Only thing yellow there should be the tops of the rockers. As an LE owner myself it's simple- you own an LE you get a COA saying so.

agree.gif
budk
supposedly it has front and rear sway bars..,

Seller states "yellow paint discovered in the door sills " so not the door jamb as posted on here.

However, they can't confirm whether or not it has the correct engine.

If the seller were smart he would pull the ad until he gets a COA. headbang.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 17 2015, 08:45 AM) *

The seller is now referring to it as an LE in his ad. Says yellow paint was found in the door jams.

Zach

ohmy.gif

Who told?!?

dry.gif

Darling!
Johny Blackstain
I believe the seller is reading this thread & I still doubt it's a bee, however I'd love to be proven wrong. Door jamb sticker has traces of black paint so it's been repainted. Color code says it's black but it's not original black outside.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 17 2015, 06:12 PM) *

Darling!

What is it, sweetie?

--DD

.... HEY! What are you doing posting outside the Sandbox????
balljoint
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 17 2015, 11:07 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 17 2015, 06:12 PM) *

Darling!

What is it, sweetie?

--DD

.... HEY! What are you doing posting outside the Sandbox????

Well, I was thinking about starting a thread and posting a couple hundred pictures of my 914 here in the garage. wink.gif

Unfortunately my lawn is not green, it's still covered in snow. sad.gif

In the mean time I was accusing you of spilling beans all over the place.

What say you, Darling?!?

dry.gif
rgalla9146
Jeff was thinkin' right
Just got a call from PCNA
Black car with yellow trim, OPTION code 778 !
Can Am Limited Edition.

When I talked to the person at the car I should have been more forceful about the feel and appearance of the top of the inner rear fenders.
He didn't see any evidence of filled trim holes.
No trim holes = LE ?
Someone got smart or lucky!
Johny Blackstain
If this car is a bee then someone went to a hell of a lot of trouble to hide it. Getting new wheels & repainting what needs to be yellow shouldn't be a problem. Finding a front spoiler & a center console that has to be chopped, along with the right size VDO clock, fog lights & grills not so easy. Letters across the grill will have to be changed back to silver & carbs removed & replaced w/ a full D-jet. Also going to be tough finding grey headlight motor covers. Glad I was wrong about this car but I'd still really want to see a COA on this car before I committed myself to getting it back to where it belongs.
rgalla9146
I'm glad I didn't know before the auction ended.
I might have tortured myself into another project on top of three or four other projects.
MikeInMunich
Notice the German plate? The car was apparently registered in Dortmund. That's the largest city over here that begins with D...hence the one letter...D at the beginning of the plate number. Munich cars get an M... biggrin.gif

M.i.M.
naro914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 19 2015, 05:00 PM) *

If this car is a bee then someone went to a hell of a lot of trouble to hide it. Getting new wheels & repainting what needs to be yellow shouldn't be a problem. Finding a front spoiler & a center console that has to be chopped, along with the right size VDO clock, fog lights & grills not so easy. Letters across the grill will have to be changed back to silver & carbs removed & replaced w/ a full D-jet. Also going to be tough finding grey headlight motor covers. Glad I was wrong about this car but I'd still really want to see a COA on this car before I committed myself to getting it back to where it belongs.

Keep in mind, not EVERYONE understands the value of an LE, or that there even IS an LE/bumblebee/creamsicle designation...or that they are anything special. To a majority of the world, it's just a 914 - a 'Porsche'd up VW'. It had black and yellow on it, maybe some owner hated yellow...maybe it got damaged/repaired....maybe...whatever...

Just think of all the 914's sitting around rotting away. Nobody saw value, so why would they think this color combination was special (except maybe the first owner?)

Not everyone is as educated or as passionate (crazy maybe??) as people on this forum.
AndyB
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 24 2015, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 19 2015, 05:00 PM) *

Keep in mind, not EVERYONE understands the value of an LE, or that there even IS an LE/bumblebee/creamsicle designation...or that they are anything special. To a majority of the world, it's just a 914 - a 'Porsche'd up VW'. It had black and yellow on it, maybe some owner hated yellow...maybe it got damaged/repaired....maybe...whatever...

Just think of all the 914's sitting around rotting away. Nobody saw value, so why would they think this color combination was special (except maybe the first owner?)

Not everyone is as educated or as passionate (crazy maybe??) as people on this forum.

agree.gif Crazy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.