Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safe way to remove rearview mirror.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
offwatch
I replaced the windshield and rearview mirror one year ago and I installed it too high.
What is the safest way to remove without damaging the glass.
Elliot Cannon
Acetone??
r_towle
On a nice hot day if you go over a speed bump at the right speed it should fall off right in your lap.
Bartlett 914
OK I have done this. It is risky but It can be done. I used a heat gun but a mapp gas torch could be used. I cut a piece of sheet metal as a shield so I did not heat the glass directly. Point the heat source so it is parallel to the glass and only heat the metal of the mirror bracket. Go easy. Try a little heat and increase as needed. I rotated the mirror not pulling. There is a strong possibility you will break the glass. You were warned but it did work for me. Lots of luck
screenguy914
If you used the usual, over-the-counter FLAPS mirror kits (i.e. Loctite), the adhesive is pretty weak. Do you recall?

If not, remove the mirror from the window mount. With a hammer and blunt chisel, strike the edge of the mount from the side (parallel to glass). This should dislodge the weak-ass adhesives most convenience auto parts stores carry (Autozone, O'Reilys, Pep Boys, etc.). If it doesn't budge, you need to go to the next level. However, can't help you as that threshold might damage the glass. Perhaps a visit to the local auto glass shop (check references first). They should know. The cost of an install might get you a free removal as well, but be prepared to pay for their expertise.

Sherwood

offwatch
It cam off easy peasy. The rear view mirror came with a double stick pad, I took a single edge razor blade and worked it all the way around the mirror then gave it a slight rotation and it came off.
offwatch
Now what is the easy way to remount the mirror. We are planning an leaving for a spring break road trip this week, probably too late to order a new double stick pad. What are my next options.
JawjaPorsche
You may not want to do this but I love my mirror.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-interi...646&vxp=mtr
Bartlett 914
Use 2 people. Sit where you are comfortable and have someone move it to the best position for you. Then use a marker around the base. Now glue it in as per instructions. Do it yourself and you may not be in the best position depending on the length of your arm
Hank914
Or not.

Now that you have it off, try driving without it for a while. You are legal if you have both outside (driver side and passenger side) mirrors.

I bought my 914 right after the PO replaced the front glass, and he did not yet put it back on.

With the low ride height, I get everybody's headlights right into the cabin. It is bad with both mirrors outside, but I suspect it would be much worse with the inside mirror. Glad I don't have that issue at night.

Try it, you might like it.
Cuda911
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 15 2015, 04:48 PM) *

Hey, I like that conversion mirror! I'll stick with OEM, but the one in your link looks like a great option for many.
76-914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 15 2015, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 15 2015, 04:48 PM) *

Hey, I like that conversion mirror! I'll stick with OEM, but the one in your link looks like a great option for many.

They're great. It took the targa pad out of my view! beerchug.gif
emoze
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 15 2015, 03:48 PM) *

i have 2 of these from an old group buy

- one still on shelf

anybody know what model/year BMW these came off of ??????????????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.