Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 collateral damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Just spotted this on another forum; an '80s model 930 Euro spec, guards red Turbo sitting on a street in Iraq. When you have to run for your life, material things get left in the dust .Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Prolly gonna get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk... screwy.gif
Bulldog9
This looks like one of Saddam's sons cars, they had hundreds that the local Iraqi provinces sold at auctions. This has to be a VERY old pic. I used to see one of these running around Mosul back in 2003-2004, the owner eventually took it up to Irbil to keep it safe along with this little beauty I got to drive over 100 kilometers to its new home when its new owner bought it at auction. We initially confiscated it because the guy driving it was driving in 100+ degree temps with the top UP, the AC off, the shift mechanism disconnected and car in drive, and a screw driver as ignition key. I remember it like it was yesterday, driving down a backroad in our humvee's, and passing a Rolls Royce.....

We turned around pulled him over asked him to provide proof of ownership. He gave us some scraps (we diddnt have interpreters back then, so we thought it was funny). But my XO called me over knowing I was a car guy to check it out. First thing I did was see if the windows worked... they did, then if the top went down it did... then the AC and wham ice cold.... But this guy was driving with windows up, top up and AC off..... We immediately figured he had an IQ of 5, and had stolen it, so we confiscated it, took it back to our base and put him in touch with the CMO we were setting up and if he returned with proof of ownership, he could have it back.

Well, I had it for 2 months, waxed, buffed detailed changed the oil, was quite a site ;-) But we treated it with respect and hoped that someone would claim it because we diddnt know what else to do with it. though I must admit there was much thought about HOW we could get it home to the 101st Museum.....

In time the owner showed up, with proper papers, the local mayor confirmed proper ownership, was owned by Uday and sold by the Mosul city Counsel at auction with about 75 other cars (likely that Porsche). Car had 112 miles on it...... Was dirty but like NEW..... So after this we delivered it to his home, me driving, him in the passenger seat, top down..... in the middle of 3-4 Humvee gun trucks.... At one point we had about 15 kids piled in it was a blast...... When we got to his home, we feasted on roast goat/sheep (or whatever the heck it was). Typical goat grab was a roast goat quartered and arranged on a giant tray of rice (think 2X a large pizza) and in the center, saved for last was the head/skull.... I got to crack the skull and eat the brain.... tasted like Foie gras.... Quite an honor they tell me....

AHH these were the good old days in Iraq when for a brief time we were treated like hero's. Yes it was the wild west in many ways, but once the initial fighting was done, we had about 4 months of very friendly peace making building civil governance, and lots of smiles. Yeah, we got shot at and got a flat, but it was still a blast.... Believe it or not, we still keep in touch, he is in the safe Kurdish regions.

War sucks, but brief moments like this become bright spots and islands of good memories..... They are not the stuff of movies, they really do happen.... Ah, thanks for the excuse to relive a brief moment of fun.
Maltese Falcon
Uday and Qusay Hussein were big on car collecting , both died on July 22, 2003. Makes me wonder how many of their cars were questionable "Purchases" At least their people were able to get at Husseins cars via auction biggrin.gif
Bulldog9
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 16 2015, 04:08 PM) *

Uday and Qusay Hussein were big on car collecting , both died on July 22, 2003. Makes me wonder how many of their cars were questionable "Purchases" At least their people were able to get at Husseins cars via auction biggrin.gif

Yup, I was there..... Following the invasion and overthrow, the Mosul government immediately seized and sold most of Saddam's assets. We chased these two for 2 months.
pdlightning
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 16 2015, 12:15 PM) *

Yup, I was there..... Following the invasion and overthrow, the Mosul government immediately seized and sold most of Saddam's assets. We chased these two for 2 months.

Thanks for your service and the stories!
somd914
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Mar 20 2015, 01:12 AM) *

agree.gif Thanks!
FourBlades
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Mar 19 2015, 10:12 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
sb914
Steve thank you for your services. very brave
mgp4591
Now how many of us have stories like that, with documentation no less?! Thanks not only for your service to our country but for the rare insight of a truly memorable experience. Great stuff! flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.