Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction: 914 Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Danek
Hi All -

I have been mostly lurking here for about 2 months.

My name is Charles Danek, and I am a newbie here in 914 world, but not to the world of vintage Porsches. I am actually the President of the 912 Registry. And now, as of January of this year, I am now also a happy 914 owner.

On the occasion of finally publishing a little blog on how I very unexpectedly acquired my 914, I figure that now is an apropos time to formally introduce myself, and to share my 914 story: http://coincd.com/sites/914/index.html

Thank you so much for sharing so much wonderful information. This wisdom of this group has already helped me tremendously, and I doubtlessly will be referring to this place much more as go about restoration.

I look forward to getting to know you all better -

Best,

Charlie
d914
welcome.... The free ones can be the most expensive... Take the rockers off and check the hell hole!!

Plenty of info and lots of opinions!!!

Neat house!!!

g
Ferg
welcome.png Cool story, nice find. smilie_pokal.gif
Ian Stott
Welcome! Glad to hear you are a "happy" owner" ! Love my 914, and envy you California guys, for being able to drive year round, still up to my neck in snow where I live!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Cairo94507
welcome.png Where about in the US are you?
Charles Danek
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 16 2015, 01:43 PM) *

welcome.png Where about in the US are you?

Granada Hills, CA
Charles Danek
QUOTE(d914 @ Mar 16 2015, 01:39 PM) *

welcome.... The free ones can be the most expensive...

Ain't that the truth!! It's the same with 912s.
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice find. Have fun!
Charles Danek
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 16 2015, 02:10 PM) *

welcome.png

Here you go!

type47fan
Welcome, great story! You will enjoy it here!

Interesting "down force" rear spoiler concept. One of the previous owners must have been an engineer!
mobymutt
Great story! I like your excitement about the metallic green. My car is also not metallic green!
Beeliner
Looks like your roof won't have rust...
The rest of the car should be checked.

welcome.png
Shadowfax
welcome.png Sounds like that car is in good hands.
abnrdo
Pure awesomeness!

wub.gif
G e o r g e
welcome.png

nice story and nice Eichler.

Don't be shy about posting pics of the 12 either
JawjaPorsche
FREE is Good! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Charles Danek @ Mar 16 2015, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 16 2015, 02:10 PM) *

welcome.png

Here you go!

It's a project but they almost all are. Plenty of help & info here on the world. Take your time & enjoy. smile.gif
rick 918-S
BTW: We have a 912 in the family too!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Just checked you blog. Cool House!
r_towle
welcome.png
infraredcalvin
Great story, please keep the updates coming!
Charles Danek
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Mar 16 2015, 04:39 PM) *

welcome.png

nice story and nice Eichler.

Don't be shy about posting pics of the 12 either

Good eye, George. My house is an Eichler.

My 912 is a 1965 painted dash in Champagne yellow. Never been restored, but always been driven and maintained. It is pretty much stock, except for it has a Racing Oil Cooler, Benton Performance Distributor and Alternator upgrades, a lightweight high-torque starter, and bigger pistons.

My 912 has a blog too: http://coincd.com/sites/porsche/index.htm
Charles Danek
Thank you all for the

welcome.png 's

Glad to be here amongst you!
Betty
welcome.png

What a beautiful house and what a gorgeous 912. We also have a 912 waiting (fortunately on very level pavement biggrin.gif ) to be restored. We call her Abby (Normal) happy11.gif. We got her with the original engine and transmission missing, so the plan is to put a 6 cylinder 911 motor in her then get an emblem made for the back that says "912-6" biggrin.gif

I read through and looked at everything you have so far - very nicely written, and a great job documenting the start of what hopefully will be a long and beautiful relationship... and what great friends and family you have to help you along the way! With them in your 'toolbox' you're already halfway there! cheer.gif

You sound like the right person for the job. You're going to be adding a lot of new 914 friends to your 'toolbox'... and when you take that first drive - we all get to be there with you!!! first.gif driving.gif cheer.gif
914Next
welcome.png

Love the story….and can't help but love your Eichler!
913B
It was nice meeting you Charles and Welcome to the World !

Brings back memories of growing up in East L.A.

Best of Luck on your restoration ! Oh yeah nice write up too, if it was my writing it would have been a 2 liner biggrin.gif

Ted

welcome.png

11tenths
Wow- I see it came with 3 of the 4 factory OEM jack stands! Nice...

You could post up a WTB in the classifieds for the fourth.

Cheers- Harry
Tom_T
welcome.png

Hi Charlie,

I think we met before at one of the SoCal area PCA Concours & were talking about your 912 passion & new 914 interest a year or so ago.

Hope to see you again at one!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Charles Danek
QUOTE(11tenths @ Mar 17 2015, 01:36 PM) *

Cheers- Harry

Harry - What are you referring to exactly?
Charles Danek
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 17 2015, 12:28 PM) *

It was nice meeting you Charles and Welcome to the World !

Brings back memories of growing up in East L.A.

Best of Luck on your restoration ! Oh yeah nice write up too, if it was my writing it would have been a 2 liner biggrin.gif

Ted

welcome.png

Ted - Nice meeting you as well!

And thanks for the Pedrinis! (My 1st official purchase made for this car.)
Charles Danek
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 17 2015, 01:54 PM) *

welcome.png

Hi Charlie,

I think we met before at one of the SoCal area PCA Concours & were talking about your 912 passion & new 914 interest a year or so ago.

Hope to see you again at one!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hi Tom -

Maybe we met? Were you at the Lake Arrowhead timeline this year? I remember really liking some of the 914s that were there. But I don't think I was at any other PCA concours events this past year, nor do I recall talking 914s with anyone.

Regardless, either way, it nice to make your acquaintance here!

Charlie
KELTY360
QUOTE(Charles Danek @ Mar 17 2015, 04:20 PM) *

Cheers- Harry

My guess is he's referring to the cinder blocks holding down the tarp. laugh.gif

Great story and great acquisition. Epic rescue for what could have been a final resting place. You definitely need one of those 'Save the 914' t-shirts.

The combination of early body with 2.0L and sideshift is a fine combination although I've never ridden in one with the fixed passenger seat. Were the fuel injection components in the parts hoard or had it been converted to carbs?

Good luck on the restoration.

welcome.png

PanelBilly
Another one sucked into the pit!

I mean welcome to the fun club of economical sport cars fans
Charles Danek
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 17 2015, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Charles Danek @ Mar 17 2015, 04:20 PM) *

Cheers- Harry

My guess is he's referring to the cinder blocks holding down the tarp. laugh.gif

Great story and great acquisition. Epic rescue for what could have been a final resting place. You definitely need one of those 'Save the 914' t-shirts.

The combination of early body with 2.0L and sideshift is a fine combination although I've never ridden in one with the fixed passenger seat. Were the fuel injection components in the parts hoard or had it been converted to carbs?

Good luck on the restoration.

welcome.png

Oh! He was talking about my concrete spoiler! shades.gif

Yeah, you know? I love the simple styling of the earliest 914s. Actually, I tend to love the earliest of anything. I read somewhere, that the 1st version of something, for all its lack of refinements, is usually the version that is closest to the designer's original inspiration, and to me there is something to this. My 912 is a '65 painted dash car. And the other day when my daughter asked me what car I would get if money were no object, without hesitation I explained to her what a Gmund coupe was.

In the case of the 914, it seems like in the beginning, the VW 1.7L and rear linkage trans, simply did not quite go far enough towards tapping the potential of the car Porsche had engineered. (Although who am I to judge? I have never driven one, so I am just repeating heresy, and I certainly mean no disregard to guys who have this setup and are happy with it.) But yeah, if I was going to own a 914 that was not original (and not a 6) it would pretty much be the exact combination of what I have. (Especially the Metallic Green!)

I do have all the FI components... actually, I have duplicates of pretty much everything. However, I am not sure I will ever use them. When it comes time to rebuild the motor, since my car will never be original, I am leaning towards building something a little bigger than the D/L-Jet can handle, that I would run with carbs first, but with then intent of perhaps converting to modern EFI later down the road. I know Jake Raby builds motors that are capable of running either setup, so I know this is possible.

And I kinda dig the bulkhead passenger seat. It is just so weird!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.