Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 DTM and 2316 installed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
I'm away from the shop and can't post pics-yet..

DAMN does it look great! Brent and I worked all week on the air sealing tins to install it nice and tight into the engine bay.

It is so easy to work on the engine with the DTM installed, no more 5 hour alternator changes- More like 30 minutes!

It'll be finished 100% ON monday- You're gonna love it!
skline
Oh I see Jake, this is a tease. See how you are? No pics but it looks awesome. I will be on the edge of my seat all weekend now.
Jake Raby
I don't have the pics on my laptop! I actually just came to the forum to see if it was back up and decided to post!
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Rusty
Jake... can you check your PMs?

-L
ppickerell
Jake,
I may be 2 weeks away from motor install. Is the shroud available for shipment?
Twystd1
I'm waiting for ya Jake... I will need one for my stroker motor......

And I am already on the list.....!!!!!!!!!

Money is set aside...

Thanks.
Twystd1
spunone
Ok Jake it's Monday here thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jake Raby
I just got in the shop..

Charles is working on the pics for me..

THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE YET!

Don't get your panties in a ruffle- I have a LOT more testing to do with this shroud and it will take time to do!

Please don't wait on the shroud to finish your engine because I refuse to hurry up and cut the testing short to fill orders!

I still have to get all the hardware together, make kits find out exactly what price i can sell them at and make money and etc, etc..

I get a couple of emails everyday and decided I would post this to let everyone know that I did get it installed.

spunone
Sounds good to me Jake .I just like lookin at pics.LOL happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
spunone
Just wondering did Charles get a chance to get the pics yet can't wait to see the install sounds Sweeeeet
SirAndy
in case no one has said it before ...

Eric_Shea
in case no one has said it twice...

Aaron Cox
12.30PM PST.... where are the pics?
Eric_Shea
Jake's too busy making his fortune by overcharging credit cards $0.50 at a time. He should be a millionaire by 7485 AD (not counting interest accrued) laugh.gif
redshift
STOP IT ERIC!

I just blew puke remnants thru my nose!

sad.gif

Jake Raby
Charles' computer died, he can't post them..

If someone else can post them I can email afew of the best ones in the mean time....

I just drove it.... The dyno graph does it no justice- It feels MUCH faster than the old engine- those heads rock!

When the cam and heads come on the tach literally bounces off 7K so damn fast it's amazing!
Mark Henry
Email them to me bud. You know the address...
Mueller
I just drove it....

how do you like the suspension smile.gif
Jake Raby
Charles got the PC repaired.. Pics should be uploaded in a few minutes....

The suspension is sick, but I need an alignment badly so I didn't get on it in a turn..

Jake Raby
Here ya go.....

Freshly uploaded Gallery for ya..

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/more_91...4dtm/index.html

The next version will be even cooler in its oil cooling abilities, this one is a full race version that will be going on Kevin Groot's 2.0 EP engine later.....

I am already working on the new version...
Let me know what you think..

Look at how it all seals up- better than stock tin!
That took A TON of time to do.
Aaron Cox
wow! looks cool!

interesting tin.... beer.gif
too bad you got to raise up the carb linkage..... sad.gif
lapuwali
It looks so much taller in out of the car pics. I'm amazed there's so much clearance. Very nice work. I hope enough people buy them they'll make it worthwhile.
Mueller
cool a Type I in a 914 smile.gif
(ducking for cover, LOL, luckly a .30-06 cannot reach me from there, hahahaha)
kafermeister
Oh Yea, I really like that. And it's functional too. Nice job Jake!
McMark
Great Mike, now Jake's gonna go off about looks vs. performance. wacko.gif Shut yer mouth!
wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 15 2005, 04:11 PM)
Great Mike, not Jake's gonna go off about looks vs. performance. wacko.gif Shut yer mouth!
wink.gif

actually I think it looks pretty cool.....it damn near looks like a jet engine sitting in there.....good luck trying to explain that one to the cops if you get pulled over smile.gif
Jake Raby
The only reason the carb linkage had to be raised was for my shorty manifolds.. The STD linkage will drop right on in the kit that we have planned for the 914...

The engine lost 25 pounds by adding the DTM and ripping off all the nonsense pancake cooling goodies.
spunone
So the only sound ya hear is the cam and the carbs LOL hows the cooling in the car??? beer.gif Looks f in great
Jake Raby
I didn't want to chew up my tires from the crappy alignment so I only drove it up the road and back.....

I have a quad CHT gauge in the car that I robbed from my test bug to monitor temps.. They all looked nice and even after a 7K RPM burnout and rip through 3 gears sideways....
914werke
So how will the DTM setup (with OE oil coooler mounting) adapt to a plenum configuration? Does it clear the rain Tray?
McMark
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 15 2005, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 15 2005, 04:11 PM)
Great Mike, not Jake's gonna go off about looks vs. performance.  :wacko:  Shut yer mouth!
wink.gif

actually I think it looks pretty cool.....it damn near looks like a jet engine sitting in there.....good luck trying to explain that one to the cops if you get pulled over smile.gif

I agree. I have to say I wouldn't mind putting that in my car.

Nice work Jake.
Jake Raby
This set up pictured in my car will clear the rain tray... The version 2 will NOT and will require a custom rain tray that will possibly be made for it's use if demand is great enough..

As for a plenum, I'm not very concerned with making it work with a plenum at the present and not even thinking that far along. When doing something this damn time consuming its 1/2 step at a time....
seanery
I think it looks great!
Funny thing is, though, it looks like it's backwards...know what I mean?
spunone
I thinks you might be needed a couple more vents ehh Mr.Raby smash.gif
914werke
So throttle bodies and EFI fine, but it seems that a plenum config might be challenging due to space. cool_shades.gif
Jake Raby
A plenum could be done... But I don't think enough people would want one to pay for all the time it would takeme.

I am working on a plenum for my Bug guys with the same basic shroud layout- it may swap over, never know...

I'm definately not considering the guys that want to use this on a stock engine with stock FI and never will..
groot
A true thing of bueaty, no question!!!

Call me strange, but wouldn't it be cool to be passing some 6 cylinder 914s at the track with the slight hint of a Beetle fan tweet.....
seanery
QUOTE (groot @ Feb 16 2005, 08:02 AM)
A true thing of bueaty, no question!!!

Call me strange, but wouldn't it be cool to be passing some 6 cylinder 914s at the track with the slight hint of a Beetle fan tweet.....

...and some beatle pee shooter exhausts!! Yah Bay Be!!!!
Mark Henry
I have a DTM sitting right here....A plenum would be a PITA.
Sure it could be done but I think for the most part it would make working in the bay a chore.
Also how to do it with out hiding the beauty of the DTM and keeping the ease of working on the fan belt, alternator, etc.

Personally I think the DTM is better suited for webers or IR TB's. A plenum is better suited for the stock cooling system. But then we never know what Jake will think of next.

For an engine my size (2.6L+) I’ve decided to forget a plenum and go with IR TB’s. Both Jake and I are in agreement, a less aggressive cam would be needed for a plenum and for me that’s a step in the wrong direction.
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 15 2005, 03:31 PM)
This set up pictured in my car will clear the rain tray... The version 2 will NOT and will require a custom rain tray that will possibly be made for it's use if demand is great enough..

Can't wait to see the version that uses the stock oil cooler, to see where the height would come from to make the raintray not fit. A custom raintray shouldn't be too hard to make though. Man, that engine bay looks huge on the front half with that DTM doesn't it. Lots of room for something I guess, a belt-driven supercharger running on the serpentine belt, yeah baby happy11.gif
Jake Raby
All that space in front of the engine is where the OIL COOLER will be placed, in an enclosure and force fed from the top of the shroud- Just like my normal DTM.. (thats why the rain tray won't work without mods)

The air will feed through the cooler and then out the bottom of the engine tin and under the engine. I plan on making a change to that side of the shroud to bring the cylinder flashing down lower to keep that heat away from the #2 cylinder....

Once I ensure this version works well in the car I will start on the modified mold for the second version.

As you can see this takes a lot of work and its specific to only one car so I'm gonna be pissed if they don't sell to those who asked me to do this.
JmuRiz
Sounds good, most of the people that'll run the DTM will be running carbs or ITBs in their 914, so your mock up should fit everyone's. I'm on the list and ain't gonna back down biggrin.gif If you get it to work and keep the #2 cyl cool, I'm sure people will be all over it!
Jake Raby
#2 is never hard to cool and routing a tad more air to it is very easy (too easy) thats why I decided to place the cooler there..

There is literally no difference in my idea and the idea of the factory when they placed the stock cooler in front of #4 cylinder... That cylinder seems to not be effected by the extra heat from the cooler.

I have another plan that would totally encapsulate the oil cooler on top and bottom and would run a tube aft under the engine with a venturi effect to help evacuate heat from the cooler cavity even better and at the same time get that air completely away from the engine...

There is room for it under the car too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.