Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Extinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barebrad
I have a daily driver that my teenage son uses. I'm looking for a fire extinguisher that is small and easy to use. Has anyone used the Max Professional Fire Gone? It is ABC rated, uses a foam solution and you can get a 2 pack for half the cost of a 5lb typical extinguisher. At this price, I can buy 2 of the 2 packs and we can practice using them and still be cheaper. Anyone have experience with these?
messix
i just read the amazon reviews, you should too.

not to be stored above 120 deg.

and many have had shipping/ breakage problems
r_towle
Sorry to be a Dad here, but I would just insure the car for everything and make sure my son knows to get out of the car and run away if it catches fire.
I would not want him to try and save it with any possible threat to himself.

We all know we were invincible when we were young, so given a fire extinguisher, my boys would try to save the car...

I would teach him to run.

Oh, and to replace all the rubber fuel lines and fix all the oil leaks that cause fires.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2015, 10:11 PM) *

Sorry to be a Dad here, but I would just insure the car for everything and make sure my son knows to get out of the car and run away if it catches fire.
I would not want him to try and save it with any possible threat to himself.

We all know we were invincible when we were young, so given a fire extinguisher, my boys would try to save the car...

I would teach him to run.

Oh, and to replace all the rubber fuel lines and fix all the oil leaks that cause fires.

agree.gif same for my kids. Get far away from the car. call 911.
Dave_Darling
Get AFFF, or CO2, or Halon. Don't get the popular dry-chem ones; they eat wiring and aluminum both.

Or, like the other folks said, see if you want to do without.

--DD
Mike Bellis
I would never, ever, let my son drive my 914. driving.gif

I have seen the way he drives my Mazda 3 when nobody is looking. chair.gif

I don't think it would be a good idea to let anyone drive my 300hp turbo 914... I shouldn't be driving it either... happy11.gif
McMark
Watch some YouTube videos showing firefighters putting out burning cars. Then compare that to a ridiculously tiny fire extinguisher.

If it's small enough to put in a car, it's worthless.
If it's big enough to help against a fire, it's huge.

And all that doesn't even address the time factor. It takes forever to even get ready to use the extinguisher --you notice the fire--stop the car--grab the extinguisher--get out--open the engine lid-- By then it's way too big.

If you want some chance of effective fire suppression look into the permanent installation units with a button inside the car. Notice flames? push the button and everything gets doused automatically.

And finally, fire extinguishers are about saving lives, not saving property. It doesn't matter if it eats aluminum or wiring. The bottom line is that if your car is really on fire, you're never going to 'save' everything. You just count yourself thankful if you can just save most of the car.
Elliot Cannon
I have twice used a fire extinguisher to put out a car fire and saved the car. You can save it if caught in time but if it gets this far, get as far away as possible and call the pro's. Or better yet, make sure the car is in good shape by regularly inspecting hoses, connections etc. to prevent a fire in the first place. biggrin.gif
stownsen914

Make SURE you've done this. If you're not sure if they're original or how old the fuel lines are, replace them. Cheap insureance.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Mar 18 2015, 10:41 AM) *

Make SURE you've done this. If you're not sure if they're original or how old the fuel lines are, replace them. Cheap insurance.

agree.gif and make sure to use correct FI hose clamps NOT regular worm drive clamps that don't have a stop and can cut into the fuel hose!
McMark
Also, don't use the cloth braided 'original' fuel line. Get a fuel lines that's rated for modern fuel formulations. Rated J30R14T2 or better. I use Gates Barricade Fuel Injection Hose available from NAPA Auto Parts in my area. Be prepared, it's about $6.50 per foot.
thieuster
two additional points:
- make sure that the fuses are the correct ones! Previous owners have a tendency to put a larger (more amps) between the contacts. Don't ask me how I know.
- Whatever you do: Do.Not.Use.A.Powder.Extinguisher.

Menno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.