Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic ignition for an original 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuartgto
I would like to know if anyone has tried to install an electronic ignition for a 1970 914/6? Such as Pertronix? I or II? Or what else is out there? I want to keep it looking original, but have heard the reliability of the Pertronix can be an issue. Is it worth getting a new coil as well? Any thoughts and/or experiences are appreciated.

Also I am looking for a "readable" 1970 914/6 electrical schematic. Any hints?

Thanks
Johny Blackstain
If you're not worried about originality I'd go with the Electromotive Crankfire kit. It eliminates the distributor all together & once set stays spot on time providing great ignition & solid reliability. Please ignore my filthy carbs, they're next on my list. dry.gif
screenguy914
While crankfire ignition is quite accurate, I don't think most folks need to go to that extent to eliminate the variations inherent in breaker point ignition.

Besides Pertronix, Crane also offers a pointless module that fits in most Bosch distributors. Optional ignition coils are .... optional.

914-6 engines are the same as 1969 911T engines. Look for wiring diagram SL33 from the 911 repair manual and/or from a 914-6 manual (pretty sure it's the same).

Try this source for factory info:
http://early911nzdownloads.yolasite.com/workshop-manuals.php

I have some early high res. electrical diagrams on my now-vintage website:
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/

Sherwood
mskala
The 914-6 already has electronic ignition, except for the points that are still
mechanical and will wear over time changing timing. Pertronix does exist for
the bosch distributor. A long time ago pertronix didn't make one for the Marelli
distributor, but I don't know if that has changed.

If you are worried about pertronix failing you, then just use good bosch distributor
grease on the points rubbing block, and every off season just put in new points,
they're cheap.
Mark Henry
The simplest method would be to leave the points and install a MSD....sounds weird right?

I'd install a new set of points, remove the condenser and just use them to trigger the MSD, no high voltage goes through the points so they never wear out.

If you make a bracket the MSD can be mounted where the factory CD was or in a /6 conversion were the FI was mounted, it's quite a stealth install.
Do not use too much grease, the low voltage will not burn grease off if it gets on the points.
You may have to adjust the points lets say every 50K miles.

BTW I haven't tried this on a /6, this is how I run a red top Mallory dual point dizzy for the T1 and T4, which is the exact same dizzy as the Unilite.
These dizzy's can often be found for about $100
I removed the 2nd set of points and condenser.
I've done this for several engines, works flawless.

I have made the MSD bracket mentioned above for my /6
Dave_Darling
The Six already has a CDI, which is the same as an MSD except for the multiple-spark thing. Unfortunately, the points do wear mechanically--just not nearly as quickly as ones that carry lots of current.

Even more unfortunately, most or all of the original Sixes used the Marelli distributor. There is no points-conversion available for that unit that I know of. Crane did make a prototype for it, but they concluded that there wasn't enough market and never produced them. Someone around here did get ahold of the prototype, and said that it worked well. But I don't know what the differences are from a more standard Crane unit.

You might be able to talk someone into making bits to adapt a Pertronix II or Compufire or Crane optical gizmo into your distributor. If they do, they'll probably be able to sell a few of them. But it'll be pretty much custom work, so it won't be cheap. If you're willing to hand your distributor over to someone for a while, it might be worthwhile.

Marelli points were NLA new for a good while; not sure if they are now or not. If they are still NLA, then the market for a points-replacement gets a bit bigger...

--DD
Mark Henry
MSD and points doesn't seem to wear very much, but that is on a T4 and a Mallory.
I've mounted a pertronix to a mallory before, it wasn't that hard, but you have to find the right one and have a bit of fab skills.
johnhora
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 17 2015, 06:54 AM) *

The Six already has a CDI, which is the same as an MSD except for the multiple-spark thing. Unfortunately, the points do wear mechanically--just not nearly as quickly as ones that carry lots of current.

Even more unfortunately, most or all of the original Sixes used the Marelli distributor. There is no points-conversion available for that unit that I know of. Crane did make a prototype for it, but they concluded that there wasn't enough market and never produced them. Someone around here did get ahold of the prototype, and said that it worked well. But I don't know what the differences are from a more standard Crane unit.

You might be able to talk someone into making bits to adapt a Pertronix II or Compufire or Crane optical gizmo into your distributor. If they do, they'll probably be able to sell a few of them. But it'll be pretty much custom work, so it won't be cheap. If you're willing to hand your distributor over to someone for a while, it might be worthwhile.

Marelli points were NLA new for a good while; not sure if they are now or not. If they are still NLA, then the market for a points-replacement gets a bit bigger...

--DD

As Dave mentioned the 914-6 has a very good Bosch CDI
unit. The points are used just as a switching signal for the CDI firing spark so they use very low voltage and thus don't wear out like Type 4 , 356 or Early 911 stock systems from arcing but just wear from the mechanical rubbing of the tab against the dizy shaft. There is really no reason for a stock 914-6 to go to another system.
The MSD uses a multiple spark which is great for a high compression idling engine but they even go to just one spark after a certain rpm. And they are great for an engine that never had CDI.
The Marelli parts are available again check here:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...lectrical-c469/
If you don't like the Marelli there are Bosch 911 distributors that fit the application.

Eric_Shea
I want to keep it looking original

Then keep it original. That's a pretty good ignition system.
johnhora
oh forgot...go here for the 914-6 wiring diagram

http://www.zapfenterprises.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.