Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laws on Picketing in Calif
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Went to hospital last Wed (2-9-05) to get a blood test. Parked my 914-6, when I got about 20 feet away from the 6, saw a older woman, 65+ park next to the 6, she was toooooooo close. I walked back, said to her, Ms, you're too close to my car to get out of yours without dinging my car. As I finished saying it, she said, oh no, I can get out, BANG, there goes her door into the side of the 6. I was stunned, then she proceded to try to wiggle her fat ass and hips out a 6 inch gap in her door, dinging the side of my 6 at least 2 more times. I looked down the side of my 6 and said, you just dinged my car. Bitch gave my a dirty look, like how dare you question me.

I walked away, screaming. Caught her at the elevator, said I needed her insurance info. As I was going to file a claim. Which I did when I got home.

Now this scumbag BITCH is saying, It never happened, effectively calling me a liar. Like I've got nothing better to do than make up wild stories.

My insurance guy is pissed too, found out he owns a 944 widebody turbo. Her insurance is saying, tough, we believe her (Farmers).

If the claim is denied, I will take her to small claims court, and I also want to picket her house.

I am sick and tired of assholes screwing up my property and I get left holding the bag and they walk away scott free. NO MORE.

This 914-6 has been in the family for 35 years, I got her from my step dad, he sold her to me, cause he knew I'd restore her and take care of her. Then this bitch says, You don't count, I have a right to damage your property, cause your in my way.

So what are the l;aws about picketing someones house?
skline
Well, I dont think it will do you any good to picket her house. I am not even sure how I would have handled that situation myself. I might have just reached out and bashed one of her windows and said you are right, it never happened. I always park as far away from everyone as possible, especially old people and the imported ones that cant drive, we all know who they are.

Oh, I always carry my camera with me too, so i would have taken pictures on the spot.
Triaddave
that sucks! i have a situation like that, although i have a beater 914, and i mean a real beater. i just door banged her back a few more times while she looked on...why is it always fat women?
Gint
Sorry Don.

But that's why when mine is completed it won't spend much time in public parking lots. BTDT

People just don't give a shit anymore. "It's all about me!"
Lou W
skline Posted on Feb 12 2005, 10:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I dont think it will do you any good to picket her house. I am not even sure how I would have handled that situation myself. I might have just reached out and bashed one of her windows and said you are right, it never happened. I always park as far away from everyone as possible, especially old people and the imported ones that cant drive, we all know who they are.

Oh, I always carry my camera with me too, so i would have taken pictures on the spot.  

I agree, unfortunatly there's probably not much you can do, put the claim in, the insurance company will probably say it was private property, blah blah blah, take her to small claims court, it will be she said he said, just learn from it and keep a disposable camera in your car park further out in the parking lot and move on. Not worth ending up in the hospital yourself with a heart attack. mad.gif
Dr Evil
Damn, Don. You have all of the luck. Time to visit the shaman again. You usually need to have a permit to pettition, but you would likely be denied, and charged with disturbing the peace, being a public neucence (sp?), and stalking. Plus, depending an what you would be stating, slander, harrasment, making threats rolleyes.gif and on and on.

The assholes make the laws to protect the assholes. I am sorry to hear about this, let me know if you need help with the paint. I'll try to stop by and say hi soon.
Joe Bob
If the claim is denied....go shit on her doorstep.... bootyshake.gif
hwgunner
Did you get her insurance information? If you did I would point out to "Farmers" that she gave you the information at the time, knowing she was guilty, and if it did not really happen why would she have given the info to a stranger in the first place? Makes a case I would use in small claims also. Don't let them run you over!!! Keep calling and complaining to the next person in line. Also show them that the car is worth some big $$$ so they dont think it is an old "VW".

aircooledboy
I am NOT licensed in california, but a gerneral rule of thumb is that you cannot picket a residence without fear of arrest unless a business is being run from it.
mattillac
why crap on her door step? just kick her in the nuts, and while she's on the ground crying in pain, crap in her mouth. pain30.gif laugh.gif i hate old fat ladies! flipa.gif
Howard
I'm not a lawyer, but an insurance broker, and we do handle these all the time. Assuming Farmers is her carrier, don't be too pissed at them, as they have to take the statement from their client. Have they denied the claim in writing? If so, my suggestion is to get 2 estimates, bite the bullet and file a small claims action. Measure the height on the damage and the door of that model car. Bring photos of the damage. Plaintiffs win in about 95% of these cases.

Had this happen to me once, and same kind of response. Guy just said fagettaboutit and left. Got the plate #, called police, desk guy was a car nut, and they went out and cited him for hit and run smilie_pokal.gif
iiibdsiil
Maybe you can find someone that has the same car as hers, and then take a picture with their door opening and hold the door about a mm from the dent so you can see in the picture that the door hits in the same spot, yada yada.
RAR
Judges in small claims (and other) courts deal with credibility all the time. Two different stories, who is telling the truth. The best become very adept at making accurate judgments. Go for it, I think he'll find you credible.
dakotaewing
If you have full coverage on the car, (i am assuming you do) - I would file a cliam on your PIP and have your carrier go after her...
I am not an insurance agent, and I don't live in a no fault state. I have had situation where I had a car totaled due to someone elses fault and their carrier wanted to pay me about $1500 less than blue book wholesale -
Filed a claim on my PIP, got the full value of the car, and my carrier went after them, and dealt with the headaches....
dmenche914

be sure to account for her fat ass in assessing door ding hiegths A fat ass can really compress the suspension.

Why picket her house?, Instead throw rocks thru her windows, set her cat on fire, flatten her tires, stalk her children, round-up on her front lawn,sand in her gas tank, hell tourch the house. Uh, on second thought, maybe not! Take it to court, have you facts straight, be very respectful of the judge, never interrupt the judge nor the defendant, present a good solid case, and you might win. Since she has insurance, you will likely be paid (with no insurance soemtimes it is hard to collect on an individual from a judgement.)

Does she work at the place? If so, let the judge know that also, that would help place her at the location.
campbellcj
Somebody mentioned it above, but I'll second the suggestion to keep a camera (disposable type is fine) in your car at all times. I have been doing that ever since I had a run-in with a lying dirtbag myself a few years ago.

Personally I would not have let the woman leave the premises. Here in LA the cops won't come out unless somebody is being raped or killed. Of course the Fire Dept. does come out if there's a car fire though... happy11.gif
SGB

I would point out to "Farmers" that she gave you the information at the time
udges in small claims (and other) courts deal with credibility all the time. Two different stories, who is telling the truth.

Sounds pretty self-evident. Don't screw up yer case with rash reaction. You've got this. Take some pictures. Cite the obvious (above). Case closed.
DonTraver
Update: My insurance company adjuster came over, took a look at the ding, wasn't happy (He owns a 944 Porsche). Got a letter from my insurance company. Put me 0% responsible for ding, her 100% responsible for ding. Letter said they will go after her for the amount of my deductable ($100). Also got letter from her insurance saying I'd filed a claim, not if they were going to do anything about it. But a start. Also had phone numbers and name of adjuster assigned to my claim. They are going to get a lot of phone calls.

I haven't called her yet. That will only happen if the claim is denied. Then I'll haul her ass into court.

This Bitch is just one of many assholes in this county that have no respect for someone else's property. Most would just write this off, I'm just not one to do that. Ask Harley-Davidson, when I was through with them, I not only got a new engine, everything replaced on my bike I didn't like, But a Harley Paid rental car for a month. I never had a problem with them after that.

Later, Don

DonTraver
I had heard that Farmers Insurance was a pia, and they were right. They assigned me 3 different adjusters, and got the run around by all of them. Finally, I called them up, said I was tired of jumping thru their hoops and was gonna put a report in with the BBB and the Calif Insurance Dept if their adjuster didn't show up by the 24th. Called them the 23rd.

Got a call about 3 hours later, adjuster wanted to set up a appointment to check the car on the 24th.

He came over, showed up on time even. Said they'd cut a check for the repairs. I told him I was not going to sign off until the repair was completed. Gonna try for that paintless repair. But the paintless guy said he didn't think he'd crack the paint, but it was possible, if that happened, the complete fender would have to be repainted. The adjuster agreed with that. If the paint was cracked trying the paintless repair, they would pay for the complete fender.

I think they were hoping that I'd just go away, not gonna happen. What really pissed me off was their attitude and the runaround. So that's where it stands now. Guess the morale of this story is, if you try to be nice/polite with insurance companies, you're the one that gets screwed.
Jenny
What about FatAss? At least a slap on the hand for lying. You should take a hammer to her car sometime. Like two years down the line. I hate liars. ar15.gif

Jen
ematulac
If this all results in her insurance rates skyrocketing for a couple of years, then I'd say she got what was coming to her. mad.gif
Jenny
I'd like to see the letter from her insurance company telling her she's not insurable anymore. "You ass is just too big. We can't take that kind of a hit and/or risk. Everytime you squeeze out of your car is a liability to us." laugh.gif

BTW, this isn't about how much someone weighs. Just about people who ding others' cars with their butts and don't fess up.

Jen
andys
QUOTE (ematulac @ Feb 24 2005, 11:02 AM)
If this all results in her insurance rates skyrocketing for a couple of years, then I'd say she got what was coming to her. mad.gif

Maybe not, but perhaps they'll tack on a surcharge. Similar thing happened to me.

BTW, as I was walikng to my parked car, I watched the same fatass door ding my car. She was surprised when I approached her 2 seconds afterward and confroneted her as witnessing what she'd done. She of course denied it. "you know", I said, "if you appologized, it would have gone a long way rather than to lie about it." Amazing how people behave!

Andy
Rand
I'm glad you persisted Don, and that it looks like it will be taken care of. I let one of these go one time... I spent my vacation doing some flares and a full custom paint job. The day after it was all done, a fat lady in a big boat parked right next to my car (even though I had parked several empty spaces away), threw open the door, and as she was trying to work her fat ass out of the car her door was sliding up and down against my fresh paint that wasn't cured yet. Took it right off. I witnessed the whole thing and didn't do a damn thing about it because I was afraid of what I might do to her or her car.
headbang.gif
Ferg
I'm also glad to hear that you followed through...

On my way home from WCC last year in BFE nevada I was at a Mcdonalds, I was the ONLY car in the lot, and sure enought big old caddy pulls up right next to my car less than one foot away, i threw down my McChicken and ran out there, putting my body between they guy's door and my car. Totally freaked they guy out!

I explained I was only trying to prevent him from dinging my car, he pointed to his door and explained that he has these door edge gaurds on his car to prevent nicks when he rests them on other cars!!! I serious think he parked that close on purpose to use his door against another car as a brace to help himself out of his car. I didn't know what to say at that point, he then told me if I was so worried about my car I should have parked out back, rolleyes.gif

I moved my car and finished my McChicken barf.gif

Ferg
redshift
I hope this woman is whisked away by the tsunami that is coming!

You guys haven't heard about that yet? Oh... well.. bon voyage!

M
Allan
In 1991, I had just completed the restoration of a '68 pick-up. Beautiful paint in original two-tone green and white. Had it out of the paint shop for 3 days. Drive it to L.A. to show it off to some friends. Went to the grocery store and parked waaayy, waayy out in the boonies. As I was coming out, I see this lady and her kid walking out of the parking lot pushing a cart. One of the store employees yells across the parking lot that carts have to stay on store property. The Mom grabs the bags out of the cart and hands them to the kid, then shoves the cart as hard as she could away from the employee who was out collecting them. Guess what was directly in the path of that 10 mph cart. ohmy.gif Sure enough, the cart slammed right into the side right behind the drivers side rear wheel. I ran down to the lady while yelling at the employee to come over. When I got there I told here I saw her ram the cart into my truck. She gets an attitude and says she does'nt care and starts to walk off. I was just about to start screaming when a cop pulls up and tells her to stop. I find out that the cop had been sitting a couple of rows over and was checking out my truck when she did it. She changed her attitude real quick. Got nothing out of it. Lady had no car, assets or money. Just a dumb ass that deserves anything that befalls her.
larryp
Consider yourself fortunate. A few years ago, riding my R1100S on a Saturday for the second time in well over a year (following several orthopedic ops) I have a lawn maintenance guy in a Mitsubishi Mirage hit me. Tears the forks off the bike, as well as the left side cylinder. Ca. $9,000 damage.

As I somersault through the air I am thinking, quite clearly, if this fucker broke my leg again i am going to crawl back to him on my belly and strangle the sonofabitch.

Inexplicably, he is insured, although not licensed. No matter; his insurance company sends him a refund check for his premium (!), and then declines to cover me. Seems there is a clause that requires the insured to cooperate in investigations and he didn't. Of course not; the claims dept kept calling and sending letters (if they did so at all, of course) in English, of which he spoke none.

Asswipes. Motherfuckinggoddamnedprickbastardshitass...
Rand
The same car that got the door ding I was talking about died an ugly death; it got totalled by a drunk driver, and I got nothing because he was uninsured and an irresponsible deadbeat. I had just bought new suspension and was going to install it over the weekend. Friday night I was sitting at a construction site stopped by the flagman and I see headlights in my rearview mirror. Hmm... coming pretty fast.... There were construction signs, cones, and flashing lights for a good 1/8 mile leading up to this so I can't imagine the guy isn't prepared to stop. But when it was clear there was no way he would be able to stop in time, I saw enough room in front of me to try and get out of the way, put it in gear and punched it. He still rear ended me hard enough to total the car. I don't know what would have happened if I was still at a dead stop when he hit.
ar15.gif
CptTripps
There are a thousand stories like this...we all have them. It's amazing that any of us drive these things at all...but they are just cars at the end of the day.
smooth_eddy
A similar thing happened to me in the mid 80's. I went to Kmart and parked my Z car in an end stall. As I was walking to the store I noticed a huge car parked way too close to mine. A huge fat ass bitch banged my car so hard it set off the alarm. I walked back and confronted her. She denied it and opened her door to prove the dent did not line up with her door. Well of course not after her 400 lb fat ass was out of the car it rose up 4 inches. So now I never shop at Kmart. The store attracts a Kmart mentality. wacko.gif
andys
I reallly don't understand what you guys are complaining about. Do you not know that ANYTHING NICE is a magnet for this sort of thing. Of course it is YOUR FAULT! No one to blame but yourselves! wacko.gif

I have an '83 Toyota pick up Ive had since new. Though I'm still cautious, I basically park it anywhere. Bet it doesn't have any more than more than 4 or 5 door dings in its' 22 years. My '98 Explorer?....One very minor door ding.

Maybe you guys should consider a full restoration underneath, and leave the paint bodywork alone. biggrin.gif It's sure not to attract stationwagons and the like.

Andy
ClayPerrine
Here is a simple way to get back at the "lady".....

Go to her house one night and sprinkle miracle grow lawn fertilizer on her lawn in a pattern that spells out some very rude comments about her and her attitude. When she sees the white powder all over her lawn and reads the message, she will get the hose and try to hose it off the lawn... Well, that will water in the fertilizer. From then on she will have this dark green grass that spells out your message. The only way for them to ever get rid of the message is to completely remove the grass.

Best part... its not vandalism. The law says for it to be vandalism, you have to DAMAGE the property. There is no law that says you can't fertilize someone else's lawn. lol2.gif
DonTraver
Well, my babies back. The paintless guy just left, did a great job.

Now I hope her rates sky rocket. That's what she deserves. I think her insurance company was hoping that if they gave me enough of a run around, I'd just write it off, not gonna happen. ar15.gif

Later, Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.