Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third Brake Light Redux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pvollma
I've searched the forum for third brake light options, and there are some very clever ones out there. My 76 has the PORSCHE reflector on the rear panel, and I figured, why not use that for a third brake light? Working with Tony Miller of Translog in York, PA, we came up with this solution using two strips of LED white lights:

IPB Image

Here's how it looks on the car:

IPB Image

To fabricate the light, Tony had to grind off the silver reflector material where the lights were glued to the lens:

IPB Image

and of course tap into the brake light wiring, but it was a fairly simple process. The result is acceptable to me, perhaps not as noticeable as a higher-mounted solution, but it will hopefully improve the car's visibility when braking.
VaccaRabite
Thats cool! I love the strips of LED lights. So many things you can o with them.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 18 2015, 08:42 AM) *

I've searched the forum for third brake light options, and there are some very clever ones out there. My 76 has the PORSCHE reflector on the rear panel, and I figured, why not use that for a third brake light? Working with Tony Miller of Translog in York, PA, we came up with this solution using two strips of LED white lights:

Here's how it looks on the car:

To fabricate the light, Tony had to grind off the silver reflector material where the lights were glued to the lens:

and of course tap into the brake light wiring, but it was a fairly simple process. The result is acceptable to me, perhaps not as noticeable as a higher-mounted solution, but it will hopefully improve the car's visibility when braking.

Thanks for sharing I like it! I will do the same on my 75.

Click to view attachment
76-914
poke.gif You need to scrape that damned Aggie sticker off and replace it with the proper Longhorn insignia! biggrin.gif
Olympic 914
I think that the RED LEDs would show better.

pvollma
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Mar 18 2015, 12:02 PM) *

Actually, no. I tried red LEDs as replacements for the brake light bulbs, and they were no brighter than the standard bulbs, so I've ordered white ones for that application, too. I think the red lens acts as a kind of filter for the red light.
Cairo94507
That is nice. Any additional light to the rear of our cars is a huge benefit. The higher mounted the light, the more the benefit.
toon1
nice!!
toon1
nice!!
pvollma
QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 18 2015, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Mar 18 2015, 12:02 PM) *

Actually, no. I tried red LEDs as replacements for the brake light bulbs, and they were no brighter than the standard bulbs, so I've ordered white ones for that application, too. I think the red lens acts as a kind of filter for the red light.

Well, it turns out I was wrong. The LED strips we used are RED LEDs. I just got the brake light bulb replacements, so I'll have to compare how the white LEDs look behind the red lenses.
wes
I like the idea, have often thought it would be nice to light the complete Porsche strip and even bought one though never moved on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.