Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me old license plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MJHanna
We can run the year plate that the car was manufactured on a vintage registration.
Tom_T
I wish Calif did that on a rolling year basis! Our DMV stops at 1969 MY for cars, so only a few early 914's can sneak by if originally sold in `69! dry.gif

Fortunately I still have my original plates.

Cool to see some nice vintage plates in a 914/916 theme! smile.gif

PS - If you have some Hannas from back in Pittsburgh PA, then we may be distantly related on my Dad's side. Please email or PM me if so!
JawjaPorsche
This from Texas DVM

Model Year Plates

Have the original, model year plates for a vehicle? As long as they're Texas-issued, have the proper color, and are in a usable condition, you may apply to use them by completing either the classic or the antique vehicle form, whichever fits the situation.

Bring the form and plates with you to your county tax office, where the plates will be inspected for suitability of use.
Tom_T
FYI - for those looking to do them in CA - they require a matching set of 2 F & R plates in appropriate year/color up to 1969 (1 plate only for trailers & motorcycles/scooters), & will inspect them too at the DMV office.

In CA the DMV calls them YOM or Year of Manufacture plates, & technically the VIN sticker date gets you under the wire for 1970 MY 914 etc.
tumamilhem
Yes! The laws very state to state. I wanted to keep my LE really OG, and found a 1974 Duval County (where I live) FL tag. The tag was actually cheaper than buying a new one, and I don't have to replace it ever like you would a new tag. I only have to renew the sticker once a year. Cheaper and cooler! smile.gif

The other cool thing is, FL tags in 1974 are the same two colors on a Creamer! biggrin.gif
Grelber
I've had a 1974 Texas plate on mine for a couple of years now. I just took it to the DMV, they checked the system to make sure it wasn't a current plate, and then assigned it to my car. In and out in 10 minutes.
griffindoug
Anyone out there with a 1975 texas plate?
JStroud
I've got two matching '71 Minnesota plates, last 3 digits 914, but I don't live in Minnesota or own a 71. confused24.gif
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(griffindoug @ Mar 18 2015, 06:56 PM) *

in Texas you probably need 2 -both f&r
anybody got a couple of Texas 73 plates?
ice cold
For those of you wanting vintage license plate I have bought several on Ebay. If you are patient and look closely at the photos a good deal can be had. I usually pay $20 for a single plate and have bought several. Some are just garage art.
bandjoey
Cool color. The 73 is black and white. dry.gif that plate sure would look good on an orange car. smile.gif

http://www.turnerplates.com. No connection. Several plate companies online
VegasRacer
QUOTE(griffindoug @ Mar 18 2015, 04:56 PM) *

Will a single plate work or do you need a pair?
griffindoug
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 18 2015, 10:11 PM) *

Not sure I will call the dmv to find out if you happen to have one.
MJHanna
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 18 2015, 10:11 PM) *

In Texas its a weird deal , on “normal” registration you have to two plates but on the “vintage “ plates Texas issues you ONE plate only, so on every vintage car I have registered I have never taken more than one plate to be inspected and have never put two plates on the car.
partsman
Mass had YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate through '67....They had the year stamped in the metal...so cars after that date used to be out of luck.

However, they recently changed things up, and our cars either had white background/blue letters, or white background/red letters. You can now use one of those plates, with the old year sticker on it, and you don't even need a second plate. There's a MBGT running around my town with the white/blue, and I think its looks cool. I've got two different white/blues I'm going to try and use, one has been in our family since '73...

This is straight from the MA registry site.

RMV Policies for Use of Year of Manufacture Plates:
1. The vehicle owner must complete this Application and sign in the presence of a Notary.
2. The plate must be physically presented to the Registrar for inspection and approval.
(i) The plate can contain no more than six (6) characters.
(ii) The plate must be in good repair and in original condition. Its letters, numbers and markings must be clearly legible. Any indication that the plate has been repainted or otherwise altered will cause the Registrar to reject use of the plate.
(iii) The plate must be sufficiently distinctive in appearance so as not to be confused with currently issued plates.
If the Registrar has already approved the use of a plate as a Year of Manufacture plate, which contains a specific combination of letters and numbers (or letters or numbers alone), that same combination on a different Year of Manufacture plate is not sufficiently distinctive and will not be approved as another Year of
Manufacture plate.
(iv) A Year of Manufacture plate may be approved by the Registrar for use on an antique motor car of a different type than that for which the registration plate was originally issued. For example, a truck plate may be approved for use on an antique automobile and an automobile plate may be approved for use on an antique
truck. (A motorcycle plate can only be used on a motorcycle, however.)
(v) The Registrar may approve of the display of only one (1) Year of Manufacture plate (if that is all that is available) even though the RMV issued two (2) plates per vehicle in the year the plate was originally issued.
(vi) A Year of Manufacture plate must be displayed pursuant to Chapter 90, Section 6 of the General Laws but the registration decal for the current registration period need not be attached to the plate. If it is not attached to the plate it must be carried in the antique vehicle at all times and presented at the request of a Police Officer.
(vii) A plate displaying the word “Antique” CANNOT be used as a “Year of Manufacture Plate.”
3. A Year of Manufacture plate cannot be used for a vehicle with a model year of 1979 or later, since the RMV began issuing plates with green alphanumerics on a white background in 1979 and many of these plates are still active.
SKL1
I've saved most of the old plates from my original '71- will have to check Iowa laws but I doubt they allow it as I've never seen old plates on vintage cars on the street.
AZ has their own coloured vintage plates but they're new, and not the original issue plates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.